GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks to Bartman, JohnACman and several others on the board for info that lead me to try out the CT...and particularly Bartman for helping me get it all squared away today.

Kumho on, did a little ride around Bartman's neighborhood. Noticed a little difference at first (first 2-3 minutes) and it seemed to want to "stand up" a bit. Changed my steering input and lean a bit, mastered. Did a u-turn, very slow...piece of cake, better than before and seemed more surefooted.

Took a 120 mile ride home +/-. Local streets to the highway, 100 miles on the highway and got off a couple exits early and did some local driving including some crappy roads, a few turns etc.

On the highway...felt a little tug to the right in the right lane, a little left in the left lane and sat with my hands folded in my lap like the bike was on a rail in the center lane. Obviously the crowning had an influence, MINOR...only noting it to be fair, no worries or issues. Made some lane changes including some aggressive ones as I had been on the road a while, fine.

On the lesser roads, have already mastered the slight difference in steering input/lean and feel more comfortable somehow. Quieter, smoother.

Obviously I have many more miles to go and more roads to try, wanted to rough the tire a bit and practice before riding 2 up this weekend so further info to come.

First impressions....wow. Cool. Good tire for me (remember I am tubby, my wife and I ride 2 up with a trailer sometimes etc. and I live in the land of flat roads/no curves). Would I use it to ride the Dragon..not sure, probably not. Do I expect better tire wear (and I'm saying this with 120 miles on the tire.......YES!). Reason I know this is when Bart and I took the tire off my bike of 5000 miles the rear was already cupping (250's). VERY disappointed as I make airpressure my passion.

So...my thanks to all so far, Murgie for the info, TJ for the sticker, Bart/ John for discussion and confirmation (Trialsman too!)..and to the guys who posted their info. I am NOT saying anyone should do this if they don't want to but I did and am HAPPY so far. More to come and I will be brutally fair.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Glad you were not dissapointed ;). Have Fun ! ......Don

·
Registered
796 Posts
Scott,

welcome. I'm sure you will love the tire. It gets better and better...the more miles I put on the tire the more confident I find I am. For me (not speaking for anyone else) I don't think I will ever go back to the MT.

Have fun.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Scooter, welcome to the "Darkside".

Once you've got a couple thousand miles on it, "The Dragon" will be afraid of "you".;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts