GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I had a set of Metzeler ME880's installed. They replaced a set of Dunlop E3's with 20000 miles on them. I opted for the 70 series rear tire, after seeing how far off the speedometer and odometer were with the 60 series. The odometer was optimistic by 4.32% before, and the speedometer was optimistic by approximately 6.5%. The speedometer is dead on now, and the odometer reads about 2.1% low.
From a riding standpoint, I can't believe how much better the bike handles. Part of that has to be the condition of the old tires that were taken off. They were worn down, though there was minimal cupping. The rear tire was virtually flat, and the front was almost down to the wear indicators. I didn't realize how much noise the old tires made until I got the new ones on. I had to turn the sattelite radio up quite a bit to hear it over the old tires. Now I can drop the volume level several notches to hear it well.
The bike handles so much better now, it's like a different bike. The flat spot on the old rear tire made it hard to hold the bike at certain angles in the corners. Now, she tracks so well, it's hard to describe the difference.
After hearing all the problems others were having with wobble, I checked to see if my bike would wobble prior to the tire change. The wobble was slight before, it's nonexistant now. (What makes people want to ride with their hands off the bars anyway?)
I rode the canyons east of San Diego early this morning, and love the grip of the new tires. Unless they wear out prematurely, Metzeler is the tire for me from now on. I love 'em.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The problem with tire evaluations is that we are usually comparing a new tire with a worn out one. I strongly suspect that if you just replaced worn out Metzlers with E3' (or any other brand) you would have been similarly impressed. The squaring of the rear makes a huge difference as does having fhe proper tire profile front and rear. Then, you also have the difference between the 60 and 70 profile.

Unfortunately, the only true comparison is riding bikes with all new tires of like size.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you, gpick. That's why I'm trying to bridle my enthusiasm. :)

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
20,000 miles on a Dunflop! You just forgot how the 1800 is suppose to handle... LOL!! New shoes always feels great. :wink:

Hope you get good service out of them. :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I had to get tires in Arkansas this summer on my way home from catscade. All they had were E3"s to replace my metzlers. After a 100 miles on the E3's I decided I would go back to the metzlers when these wore out.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Silverback, I ran the Metzlers thru 5 sets of 60 series and got about 12000 miles out of each set, not counting one set that only lasted 50 miles (severe headshake) that Metzler replaced. And other than that one set, never has so much a boggle out the ME880s.

About 14000 miles ago, I went to the ME880s with the 70 series on the rear. At 10,000 miles it was at the wear bars in the rear, front less than half. So, I think you will not find the wear in the 70 series that is in the 60, but I like the handling so much better, I don't care. Love the extra clearance under the bike, the adhesion in the corners, the lower rpm at highway speeds, the smooth feeling. Dislike the more shifting on the long hills and the tire mileage.

As an experiment, am running a pair of Bridgestone 850/851s right now, and they are doing really well. Tried them because of the Z speed rating - maybe they will handle the heat a little better. But, we'll see. Besides, I listened to Dale C - he is a one-man Bridgstone PR site.

And I suppose you have already heard using a non-approved tire will cancel your insurance, void your warranty, make your helmet fog up, cause your wife to leave, and make the sun come up in the west?.........And what Red said was right - new Flintstone 500s would feel better than old worn out rags.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Silverback said:
............ (What makes people want to ride with their hands off the bars anyway?)...........
Let's see............ holding and reading a newspaper, tying a necktie, eating a burrito...... the list goes on :wink: .

Seriously, I found the same as you, buton a switch from D250'. As mentioned above, new shoes work and feel better once broken in. My problem is that the weather here has not been great lately, so I have not had a chance to get that many miles on the new ME880's. Such is a the down side of getting ew tires near the end of the season; I would really like to do a long trip on the new baloneys, but that will not happen until late Spring, 2007. :cry:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IR Harry wrote:
And I suppose you have already heard using a non-approved tire will cancel your insurance, void your warranty, make your helmet fog up, cause your wife to leave, and make the sun come up in the west?
Yeah, but I'm something of a renegade. I openly admit to wearing an ear ring and shaving my head, so it's obvious I like living on the edge. :)
Just think how much of a social outcast I would have been had it been a 70 series car tire!!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
IR Harry said:
Besides, I listened to Dale C - he is a one-man Bridgstone PR site.
Goooooo Bridgestones, Ra-Ra, Ra-Ra-Ra, Ra-Ra, Ra-Ra-Ra!

DaleC

P.S. I’ve tried a few brands and tires myself in my 4+ years and more than a few miles, and they have worked for me, whereas the others simply didn’t.

·
Registered
21,097 Posts
they all work for me but i prefer Metzlers, was at a bar yesterday and was kinda surprised to see a lot of Harleys there wearing Metzlers

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Thats cause they have good grip on oiled roads.....or is that rode oiled..... :roll: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've got 5500 miles on the 880's with a 70 on the rear and have zero problems. I have run the Metz on all of my Harleys and think they are the best tire out there. My Wing just feels better all the way around with these. :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
I ran the Metz ME880's on my VTX1800R, and they were gret. They stuck to the road wet and dry. The Metz 70 has a wider riding patch than other 70 series, aso it was really stable. On the VTX, I didn't get many miles out of the rear, only 6000 miles. If I don't find the E3's for my wing, I may go to the Metz ME880's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts