GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a couple of days riding Big Bend and Ft Davis area First day about 170m at a leisurely pace. The wife was happy with the new Corbin seat, I was as well. The Cardo worked great except for the mic catching the wind as she was taking pictures. We both have half helmets so I knew this would be an issue. It was better when I raised the windshield all the way up but the wind still comes around hits her. She does not mind the wind but I mind the noise blasting me and cutting out the music. I will most likely change the windshield, install Honda upper wind wing and possibly a lower.
the Goldstrike pegs also worked well with no scraping although I did scrape the rider pegs.

Second day about 5 hours in the saddle, and still no butt issues, even though the saddle has not been broke in yet. The real test is a 10-12h ride which will come soon enough. We rode 118s from alpine to Terlingua and over to Presidio on 170. This is one of the best roads we have in texas, her getting motion sick was a testament to that.

Weather in Alpine starting out was in the 60s, the high was 83, high for the day was Terlingua, about 92. I can see when cool weather sets in wind management will be needed, but in the heat not so much. The Big Bend area, Marfa, Alpine, Ft Davis is a magical place. We enjoyed the Blood Moon rising and star watching at night. Davis mountains riding at 6-7k feet with peaks topping out close to 8k make for great weather with plenty of twisties.

The bike had no issues, and none expected. It was a fun trip.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Spent a couple of days riding Big Bend and Ft Davis area First day about 170m at a leisurely pace. The wife was happy with the new Corbin seat, I was as well. The Cardo worked great except for the mic catching the wind as she was taking pictures. We both have half helmets so I knew this would be an issue. It was better when I raised the windshield all the way up but the wind still comes around hits her. She does not mind the wind but I mind the noise blasting me and cutting out the music. I will most likely change the windshield, install Honda upper wind wing and possibly a lower.
the Goldstrike pegs also worked well with no scraping although I did scrape the rider pegs.

Second day about 5 hours in the saddle, and still no butt issues, even though the saddle has not been broke in yet. The real test is a 10-12h ride which will come soon enough. We rode 118s from alpine to Terlingua and over to Presidio on 170. This is one of the best roads we have in texas, her getting motion sick was a testament to that.

Weather in Alpine starting out was in the 60s, the high was 83, high for the day was Terlingua, about 92. I can see when cool weather sets in wind management will be needed, but in the heat not so much. The Big Bend area, Marfa, Alpine, Ft Davis is a magical place. We enjoyed the Blood Moon rising and star watching at night. Davis mountains riding at 6-7k feet with peaks topping out close to 8k make for great weather with plenty of twisties.

Im having the same issue. would you mind doing a follow up once you get the new shield installed? Does your wife sit up higher than you?

Thats good to hear! I was looking at those as an option

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You speak of the noise on her mike from the wind. Can't you adjust it where it will not kick the music down or you could cut her mike off completely and she can tap you on the shoulder if she wanted to talk. You could then click her back into the conversation.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts

I have ridden every single one of those roads, agree with you completely and I love the Big Bend...Guessing the guts of the National Park still very hot. Hard to beat staying at The Gage in Marathon or the El Paisano in Marfa....or the El Capitan in Van Horn even....

I am liking my new Corbin seat very much....wifey and me taking a couple night ride thru T or C New Mexico for some good food, vino and hot springs soaking this weekend.....time to see how that New Corbin works for her.. just a quickie 400 mile round tripper over two days or so...Thanks for the Big Bend report.....great place...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have ridden every single one of those roads, agree with you completely and I love the Big Bend...Guessing the guts of the National Park still very hot. Hard to beat staying at The Gage in Marathon or the El Paisano in Marfa....or the El Capitan in Van Horn even....

I am liking my new Corbin seat very much....wifey and me taking a couple night ride thru T or C New Mexico for some good food, vino and hot springs soaking this weekend.....time to see how that New Corbin works for her.. just a quickie 400 mile round tripper over two days or so...Thanks for the Big Bend report.....great place...
Terlingua was only 93, so at 30% humidity no so bad. Our plan was to ride and hike the South rim at Chisos Basin but still a little warm for that, we did it in October last year and it was still warm at 7800ft on the rim. This is my 26th year in BB and I can't get enough of it. Just wish it wasn't 10hours from Houston.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i can see if its a constant wind. were having the same problem. a gust will shut down the music, the music will come back on and then another gust will repeat the issue. what setting is your voice activations on?
Same here, its when she turns her head to snap a picture. Did not have a problem any other time The sensitivity is set at low. The wife sits up 2in higher on the Corbin and she likes it as she can see better. I think a shield and wing guards will most likely prevent this problem. This does change the angle the boom mic is designed for so not really a Packtalk issue.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
376 Posts
i can see if its a constant wind. were having the same problem. a gust will shut down the music, the music will come back on and then another gust will repeat the issue. what setting is your voice activations on?
we have them set to M. Of course, we do not have open face helmets. However both of us do tend to ride with our face shields part way open. AGC is also set to Low.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts