GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Goldwing DCT Non Tour
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What a royal PITA. I watched the video and I'm going to watch it again. Drained the two drain plugs that come straight down first. Dropped the first drain plug and yes it went right in the hole. Magnet got it right out.
Made a huge oil spill when I drained the Horizontal (kinda) drain plug. Hands were oily and couldn't grab the plastic oil pan to move it to catch the oil.
Spin on filter was so tight, I had to drive a screwdriver thru it to turn it....3 times. Thanks Mother Honda.
WingStuff supplied tool just spun on it. Used the tool to install the new filter and it worked well and no leaks.
Cartridge filter was a little tricky coming out and back in. But better than the spin on.
Doing this in a driveway. No lift here.
3895 on the bike. Took 2 hours start to finish with all the clean up. Getting old and slow.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
What a royal PITA. I watched the video and I'm going to watch it again. Drained the two drain plugs that come straight down first. Dropped the first drain plug and yes it went right in the hole. Magnet got it right out.
Made a huge oil spill when I drained the Horizontal (kinda) drain plug. Hands were oily and couldn't grab the plastic oil pan to move it to catch the oil.
Spin on filter was so tight, I had to drive a screwdriver thru it to turn it....3 times. Thanks Mother Honda.
WingStuff supplied tool just spun on it. Used the tool to install the new filter and it worked well and no leaks.
Cartridge filter was a little tricky coming out and back in. But better than the spin on.
Doing this in a driveway. No lift here.
3895 on the bike. Took 2 hours start to finish with all the clean up. Getting old and slow.
2nd time will be easier, I hope you didnt forget the DCT filter spring.
Dont over tighten the filter housing cover bolts. Very easy to break.
Good job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2nd time will be easier, I hope you didnt forget the DCT filter spring.
Dont over tighten the filter housing cover bolts. Very easy to break.
Good job.
Nope got all that right. No need for that canister filter to be that tight. But it's changed, and as tight as it needs to be to prevent leaks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the oil filter tool does not grab onto the filter base and slips, I've found that laying a shop towel or paper towel or whatever across the tool and then tapping the tool onto the filter will usually provide enough grab to spin the filter off.
Won't need to next time. I didn't over tighten it. Not my first rodeo at 70 years old. But Honda could have stop a 1/4 turn sooner.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Change the DCT filter FIRST. That way if the spring or any bolts fall into the oil catch pan, they aren't covered in hot oil or require fishing them out.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
What type of oil filter wrench did you use?
I have a 2022 and had no issues with my first oil change......used the Honda supplied oil filter wrench and worked well.

Honda Oil filter only: 15410-MFJ-D02
Honda Oil filter and wrench: 15010-MKR-305
Purchase the wrench set once, then use going forward and purchase oil filter only.

I'm fortunate as I like working on my bike.......I take my time and make it an enjoyable experience.
Cool beverage, music and comfortable 70º workshop also help. 🙃

Bottle Automotive tire Liquid Gas Bottle cap

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2022 and had no issues with my first oil change......used the Honda supplied oil filter wrench and worked well.

Purchase the wrench set once, then use going forward and purchase oil filter only.

I'm fortunate as I like working on my bike.......I take my time and make it an enjoyable experience.

View attachment 403466
I ordered the entire kit from WingStuff....tool looks identical to that one. Everything else looks the same also. Just too damn much torque on the filter. Normally 1/4 turn after it seats is enough. Always oil the seal too.

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
517 Posts
Second and third will be even quicker for you. I promise. Your oil filter had to be more than 19f/lb. I on my 4th change and I do 19 by the book. Never had any issues and easy out with telescopic wrench. Also, I always clean and dry the filter wrench from the inside with a drop of brake cleaner. At times, I will use a bolt in the center of the oil filter wrench to push the old one out of the socket. Don’t forget to take your bike off center stand, if you have to get a bit more oil out.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've changed my dct twice and the first time prompted the second time beginning with a quick degrease of the underside to avoid slippage. I think I used fantastic or something like that to clean the filter, bolts, and dct cover. No slipping but still a mess.

·
Registered
459 Posts

View attachment 403466
Its not the filter wrench that is the problem. These filters are so overtightened its crazy. I used the exact filter wrench you show in your photo. I broke the welds and the nut came clean off the filter wrench. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Its not the filter wrench that is the problem. These filters are so overtightened its crazy. I used the exact filter wrench you show in your photo. I broke the welds and the nut came clean off the filter wrench. :)
Sounds like that oil filter wrench was from China.. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sandpaper (low grit like 40 or 60) might help getting a stuck one to turn if you can get strips inside the filter. I haven't changed mine yet (I will be in a couple weeks cause it's due. (I am going to try the hp4s synthetic too) but it is an 18 so I shouldn't have to deal with this.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Humm, like I said no issues with my first oil/filter change on my 2022 DCT. Came off just fine with the wrench shown...
You'd think they would be all the same from the factory.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts