GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did my first oil change at 4K this past weekend on my ’18 Tour with the DCT. I’d read all about it before hand both in my manual and service book, plus here on the forums, so I knew what to expect and look for. I reused the aluminum crush washers this time but I’ll get new ones for 12K. The Honda dealer sells them in bags of 50 for $80, but McMaster Carr sells them in bags of 50 for $14 so lol.

The oil change went super easy honestly, no problems at all. I torqued everything properly except for the small DCT cover bolts which I just snugged by hand. In fact it went so easy that I am wondering if I did something wrong? I’ve read a lot about the difficulties of the O-ring on the DCT filter cover, about how it can be difficult to get it reinstalled properly without pinching it. Am I missing something? My O-ring was sitting in a groove around and embossment on top of the filter cover, but everything I kept reading made it sound like the O-ring just “sits” on top of the cover and can move around a bit?

Here is a pic of how my O-ring seats in the DCT filter cover:

It went back together very easily and it seems like it would be nigh impossible to pinch it or have it move when reinstalling it?

Is my cover different than normal? Am I misunderstanding something? Am I missing a part, lol?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cover went in snug. I used the bolts to line it up and hold it in place right up to the O-ring, then I used my fingers to gently press the cover up into the cavity so I could feel how it went. There was a bit of initial resistance but then it just “popped” up into place. I then held it there with one hand and snugged the bolts up with the other.

Maybe my foreknowledge of the potential problem is what made it seem easier than I expected, heh.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congrats on your first oil change...

My biggest challenge was getting my torque wrench to fit in the tight quarters underneath the bike (specifically the drain plug that doesn't sit flat on the bottom of the housing). Ended up purchasing a smaller size wrench... second oil change was much easier.

And as far as the DCT filter housing... just need to be mindful of the o-ring as you're reinstalling the filter cover.

And instead of trying to measure out 4.9 quarts... simply put in 5 quarts... dipstick shows the level is "spot on"...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Did you check the crankcase breather? Not a single drop in that tube on my bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It went smooth for me as well although I noticed there was a layer of residue at the bottom of the DCT cover. Cleaned it up and put it back without any issues with the o-ring. I do plan to replace the o-ring next time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same experience with my 4,000 mile oil change. All the great advice and videos on this forum set me up greatly! My 12,000 mile oil change happens next week, it will be a breeze...

·
Registered
16,980 Posts
Yep, the trailblazing pioneers would send word back to civilization about how to travel in the wilderness and what to avoid; its a treacherous journey. The gentle folk would follow having advantage of the shared knowledge; "This little trip was a mere picnic, no hardship at all!". Bless the pioneers. Thank you, Fred!

prs

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think Pigeon is right, having knowledge ahead of time just made it seem easy. If I hadn’t known to be careful putting the DCT cover back on it might have pinched, who knows!

I’ll tell you what though, after doing the three dance on Harleys for the past couple decades it sure was nice to do the Wing oil change. I think it’s an easier job. The engine filter is also much smaller (and cheaper) on the Wing than the Harley, despite having more oil in the engine no less. And going 8K miles between changes will be very welcome. Now I can ride from coast to coast and back again all on a single oil change! No more having to do a mid trip oil change in Wal Mart parking lots!

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
Lets see 3 drain plugs, clutch filter and I change oil on the center stand & swear there is less clearance than my old 2010. I put a piece of cardboard down to catch any spillage. It is oil changing time for me again.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I did my first oil change at 4K this past weekend on my ’18 Tour with the DCT. I’d read all about it before hand both in my manual and service book, plus here on the forums, so I knew what to expect and look for. I reused the aluminum crush washers this time but I’ll get new ones for 12K. The Honda dealer sells them in bags of 50 for $80, but McMaster Carr sells them in bags of 50 for $14 so lol.

In my opinion, not replacing all 3 drain plug crush washers at every oil change with OEM parts is being penny wise, pound foolish:smile2:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Call me "pound foolish"...but have been using the same washer for TEN years.....and never a sign of leakage around the plug...

Reactions: laen
1 - 15 of 15 Posts