GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the first oil change on the 2018 DCT today.
3,962 miles on the bike.
I was surprised that the DCT oil filter cover 8mm bolts did not have a torque listed in the Owners Manual. The torques for every thing else was listed.
My Service Manual is on its way, so I will have to check that when it comes.
After draining the oil and removing both filters. I put the bolts back in along with a new oil filter and then realized I did not fill up the oil filter with oil, I was thinking about it earlier, but then I put it in and then remembered after it was already in. I never have put oil in them, so I am sure it will be fine.
I used the Honda GN4, because the oil brand I wanted wasn't in stock at the dealer. They had 10-40 and I wanted 10-30 like the manual says. Next oil change I will have the oil I want to use.
I put in 1 gallon of the oil, then measured out 3 cups of oil, and checked the oil after running it for about 5 minutes.
When I checked the oil, it was about 1/8" below the highest mark. That's good enough for me!
I am kind of nervous after reading Fred Harmon's story of the O-ring on the Clutch oil filter, could possibly get cut or smashed when tightening up the cover. I was very careful and made sure the cover went in straight and wiggled it so it would not bind. I didn't see any leaks after running the bike and will check it again tomorrow after riding it to work.
It was not harder than the 1st or 2nd Gen 1800, but a little more time consuming since the DCT has 3 drain plugs and 2 filters to replace.
I think I will change my oil and filter at 5,000 mile intervals like I did my last 1800 because it was an easy number to remember, and of course I will change both filters every time, instead of every other time as Honda suggests.
The DCT clutch oil filter was only $7.00 and the O-ring $2.00, so it is not going to bankrupt me doing it that way.
So now the next service is at 8,000 miles checking a lot of things, so that will be interesting learning more about the 2018.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I did the first oil change on the 2018 DCT today.
3,962 miles on the bike.
I was surprised that the DCT oil filter cover 8mm bolts did not have a torque listed in the Owners Manual. The torques for every thing else was listed.
My Service Manual is on its way, so I will have to check that when it comes.
After draining the oil and removing both filters. I put the bolts back in along with a new oil filter and then realized I did not fill up the oil filter with oil, I was thinking about it earlier, but then I put it in and then remembered after it was already in. I never have put oil in them, so I am sure it will be fine.
I used the Honda GN4, because the oil brand I wanted wasn't in stock at the dealer. They had 10-40 and I wanted 10-30 like the manual says. Next oil change I will have the oil I want to use.
I put in 1 gallon of the oil, then measured out 3 cups of oil, and checked the oil after running it for about 5 minutes.
When I checked the oil, it was about 1/8" below the highest mark. That's good enough for me!
I am kind of nervous after reading Fred Harmon's story of the O-ring on the Clutch oil filter, could possibly get cut or smashed when tightening up the cover. I was very careful and made sure the cover went in straight and wiggled it so it would not bind. I didn't see any leaks after running the bike and will check it again tomorrow after riding it to work.
It was not harder than the 1st or 2nd Gen 1800, but a little more time consuming since the DCT has 3 drain plugs and 2 filters to replace.
I think I will change my oil and filter at 5,000 mile intervals like I did my last 1800 because it was an easy number to remember, and of course I will change both filters every time, instead of every other time as Honda suggests.
The DCT clutch oil filter was only $7.00 and the O-ring $2.00, so it is not going to bankrupt me doing it that way.
So now the next service is at 8,000 miles checking a lot of things, so that will be interesting learning more about the 2018.
Good job. At least it isn't overfilled. GN4 is a good choice.
It needs 157 ounces, 4.9 quarts.:smile2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did my first oil change on my 2018 yesterday. I bought it used with 9000 miles - last dealer change done at 8000 miles. Milage at change 13600. I purchased the kit from Wingstuff - includes Fred's O ring - and the full synthetic Honda GN4 oil. Having purchased Fred's videos I watched his oil change chapter for reference. Everything went uneventfully - including dropping the filter wrench and the transmission filter spring in the oil drain pan. Paper towels do come in handy. So, I am putting the 5th quart in and even though I intended on stopping short of the full 5th quart...,. I absent-mindedly poured it all in. After proper warm up and waiting the proscribed 3-5 minutes to check the dipstick- I have oil barely above the top mark. So, do I need to get anal retentive here and use a syringe to pull some oil out of the dipstick hole? Or - don't worry about it .

·
Registered
454 Posts
I did my first oil change on my 2018 yesterday. I bought it used with 9000 miles - last dealer change done at 8000 miles. Milage at change 13600. I purchased the kit from Wingstuff - includes Fred's O ring - and the full synthetic Honda GN4 oil. Having purchased Fred's videos I watched his oil change chapter for reference. Everything went uneventfully - including dropping the filter wrench and the transmission filter spring in the oil drain pan. Paper towels do come in handy. So, I am putting the 5th quart in and even though I intended on stopping short of the full 5th quart...,. I absent-mindedly poured it all in. After proper warm up and waiting the proscribed 3-5 minutes to check the dipstick- I have oil barely above the top mark. So, do I need to get anal retentive here and use a syringe to pull some oil out of the dipstick hole? Or - don't worry about it .
Calls for 3,9 qts for manual or 4.9 qts. For DCT. 1 quart = 3.2 ozs. That’s about 6 tablespoons. That much is easily left on the sidewalks of the bottles. Why worry?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts