GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I coming up to my first 1000 km or 650 miles and want to do an oil change to clean out any filings.

I have used a full synthetic on my previous bikes, which have included a 1500 wing, 79 GL 1000 and a Venture.

My honda owners manual suggests the following: Pro Honda GN4 (without molybdenum additives), Honda 4 stroke oil (Canada Only) or an equivalent motorcycle oil. Do not use oil with graphite or molybdenum additives. They may adversetly affect clutch operation.

The dealer is suggesting a semi synthetic - Golden Spectro (4).

I prefer to use the synthetic, but will I be voiding my 3 year warranty if I use any type of synthetic??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zeebo

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
A great many of us have voided our warranties if such could be so. Synthetic is superior.

prs

·
Registered
95 Posts
probably not required at all, but i'd run the honda dino oil until the next oil change. if the bike isn't burning any oil, then and only then would i switch to synthetic. highly unlikely your wing will burn oil, but ya never know.

if you're going to switch to synth at some point, use a high quality synth. honda has a good one, golden spectro or, my favorite, amsoil. however, i wouldn't waste the money if you're one of those who changes the oil more often than every 8k on the wing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Run the petroleum until the next oil change. It will allow the piston rings to seat properly during the break end period. Then change to synthetic if you like.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
HI ... As most "wingers" drive fairly easy I would run dino oil till AT LEAST 5,000 miles!!!!! 1 change 650 2 change2,000 3 change full syn.5,000...chuck....PS I would change the rear drive also at this time!!!mobil 1 syn. UNLESS you run amsoil...(bulldog)

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Number one, Modern engine break in takes place really quick. Good idea to use a lot of throttle in first few miles. Then you can change to what ever you want.

My first change was at 4000 miles and it was synthetic !!!

Changing the oil early does not remove any metal that would not be inside the filter anyway... And just hanging in the filter will not cause any problems

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Any good motor oil, dino or syn. Better to use a motorcycle specific
that does not contain moly. Avoid oils that are marked "energy
conserving" (as stated in the owners manual) they have higher
amounts of moly that "could" lead to clutch slipping.

Do a search for bulldog, he is an Amsol dealer and provides
great service & price.....

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I didn't run the link, but I would bet you a crisp hundred dollar bill that it reads to say Amsoil is the best !! Wonder why that would be. Of course the one written by Mobile One points to Mobile, Wonder why that would be ???

The curious want to know ??

JMHO 8)

G

·
I didn't run the link, but I would bet you a crisp hundred dollar bill that it reads to say Amsoil is the best !!
Run the link, it is by an independant study and very in depth (not to try and read late at night with limited time and tired eyes). AmsOil is NOT the best in all catagories by far. However, it did come out on top for the kind of conditons found in motorcycle engines where the transission is also lubed by the engine oil. I do not sell AmsOil or anything like that, nor do I have any kind of vested interest in the stuff, I just spent many hours reading about synthetic oils when I was making a choice.

you don't have to send me a crisp 100 dollar bill, a personal check is fine, I trust you :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I love this reply!!!
you don't have to send me a crisp 100 dollar bill, a personal check is fine, I trust you
I went synthetic at 12k. Why? Who knows. It's the first time I've ever used synthetic. IMHO I don't really believe it matters, as long as you change your oil on a regular basis. 4k - 5k on Dino wouldn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
KA7W said:
Number one, Modern engine brake in takes place really quick. Good idea to use a lot of throttle in first few miles. Then you can change to what ever you want.

My first change was at 4000 miles and it was synthetic !!!

Changing the oil early does not remove any metal that would not be inside the filter anyway... And just hanging in the filter will not cause any problems

JMHO 8)
Ditto.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,982 Posts
Everybody seems to have a different opinion but I switched to Amsoil at 1000 miles with my Wing and at 650 miles with my Road Star and have never had any problems and neither bike uses any oil that I can tell.

As far as metal shaving in the oil, there was quite alot of metal shaving in the first oil change with my Road Star which is a air cooled V twin. The Gold Wing didn't have nowhere near as much metal shaving in it's first oil change but there was still metal shaving in the drained oil.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Have used Golden Specta 10-40 for over 12 years in 4 different bikes. Change every 6000 miles. No leaks, use or problems.

Like someone said in an earlier post, everyone has their opinion and preference. Go with what you feel comfortable with and never look back.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The motor is already broke in when You got it at the dealer, time to go synthetic of Your choice, first change..........snow...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I did Honda semi-syntheric

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
JudgeDredd331

Again, Who did the study ?? I have read the article, It is written by Amsoil, It is notarized but no one says who did the tests ! You and I both know that Amsoil did the tests !!

We are talking about a company testing it's product against others in the same field... Guess how that is weighted ?? Been there done that !! My company always came out on top in tests that we did on our products.

Amsoil is good oil, but so is about 50 other brands out there. They all have to meet a minimum requirement in order to sport the seal of approval.

I just prefer paying less money for something that is just as good. 13 dollars a gallon for a very good synthetic oil is a fair price in my book.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
upssnowman said:
The motor is already broke in when You got it at the dealer, time to go synthetic of Your choice, first change..........snow...

Hello NO WAY is the engine broken in !!!!!! it is pre run for a few min.!!! ...chuck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts