GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 Goldwing turned over 1000 miles today, so decided to change the oil. I drained it in a glass jar and it was just slightly darker than the new oil I put in. I put a magnet in the oil and was very surprised to find zero metal particles on the magnet. I put in new Honda oil and a new Honda filter on.I had read posts here of the oil being black and lots of metal filing in the oil when removed. That is what I suspected too, but was not the case. Whats up with that? Must have been a clean freak that assembled this engine!

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
My 08 Goldwing turned over 1000 miles today, so decided to change the oil. I drained it in a glass jar and it was just slightly darker than the new oil I put in. I put a magnet in the oil and was very surprised to find zero metal particles on the magnet. I put in new Honda oil and a new Honda filter on.I had read posts here of the oil being black and lots of metal filing in the oil when removed. That is what I suspected too, but was not the case. Whats up with that? Must have been a clean freak that assembled this engine!
Good for you. Check out the second oil change.... :shrug:

Were there any fine aluminum micro-floaties in there?

I just changed oil for the first time on an '09 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 and had the same experience. Really expected to see a lot of stuff floating around in the oil but it was very clean.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
With the new tolerances for the newer engines, it will most likely be that way for all bikes.

In the older days we all could expect metal particles in our engines before the first oil change.

I suspect that is why Honda doesn't recommend an oil change before 4,000 miles first and then every 8,000 miles thereafter.

Better grade oils and closer tolerances is my opinion.

Ride On! :agree:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Did a oil change in mine also at 1000, I did find small metal pcs in my oil pan. Was very notable. I will be changing again at 3000, then at 5000 I will be putting synthetic in, figures it should be broke in my then. :lol: Having a awesome time doing too...:thumbup:

·
Registered
135 Posts
"I put a magnet in the oil and was very surprised to find zero metal particles on the magnet"

Aluminum is not magnetic. Put the used oil in a milk jug for a month then look at the bottom. Solid layer of silver.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Actually, if the filter is doing it's job you shouldn't see much if any particulate in the oil drained from the crankcase. To really check the condition you need to cut the oil filter open and look at what's left in the bottom of the filter cover and embedded in the pleats.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have always followed the manufacturer's guidelines for oil changes over the decades and had ZERO oil usage or engine problems.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Actually, if the filter is doing it's job you shouldn't see much if any particulate in the oil drained from the crankcase. To really check the condition you need to cut the oil filter open and look at what's left in the bottom of the filter cover and embedded in the pleats.

How true. Take that first oil filter, cut it open, and marvel at all the stuff in there. The second filter looks so much cleaner. However, I have a theory that some stuff has a tendency to settle in the bottom of the engine... and flows out at the first oil change. I have worked off and on in cycle shops all my life and do a fair amount of bike maintenance at my home. Kind of a hobby, I guess. Always expect to see kind of a silver metallic shimmer in the oil for a first change. The amount has diminished somewhat over the years but still usually see it quite clearly.

Random thoughts by Kevin - your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
So there is some particulate in the oil....SO WHAT?

What are ya gonna do about it?

Fact is I do not know of any oil or oil filter related failure of a Goldwing engine if the manufactureres oil/oil filter changes are made.

I suggest that years and years ago....back in the 30's and 40's engine technology was not what it was today....nor was oil and filters....much of what many of us know anout vehicles were learned from our father's and their father's....thus many seem to still have old ideas and notions about changing oil every 3000 miles etc.

Now if you excuse me I have to go and adjust the distributor cap, file the points and rotor :)

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
So there is some particulate in the oil....SO WHAT?

What are ya gonna do about it?
Nuthin'.

I think that we're all just making observations here. The fact that there's something swimming around in the pan after the first oil change certainly doesn't seem to bother anything. I've seen this for years and years and (so far) it hasn't meant squat.

Wanna see a LOT of stuff at the first oil change? Drop the plug on a Harley in the first 5,000 miles. :eek:4:
Then take a look at the magnetic drain plug......

Yes, I own Harleys,. I can say that. :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I would be more worried about the rear gear oil. I have changed mine 2 times and i only have 14,000 miles on it.
Was yours black and ugly? You know that they use that black moly assembly paste......

Some say that you should leave it in there for a little while because of the benefits of the moly.

Others say to drain it soon.

Judging by the longevity of those shaft-drive units, - it probably makes no difference.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

If Honda had been smart and used an oil filter on the bike, you would never see any metal or other floating particals in the oil !!

JMHO :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts