GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 50 mile ride I did the first oil change on my DCT at just over 2,000 miles. Honda says 4,000 miles. I was really surprised to see how dark and "murky" the oil was. Makes me wish I'd changed at 1,000. Having three drain bolts, an oil filter and a clutch filter added a bit of complexity and took me a couple hours. Now that I've done it, the next changes should take considerably less time. The clutch filter was a bit of a hassle but I think that will be easier on subsequent changes too.
I think the Honda 4,000 mile recommended first oil change is way too many miles, in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
After a 50 mile ride I did the first oil change on my DCT at just over 2,000 miles. Honda says 4,000 miles. I was really surprised to see how dark and "murky" the oil was. Makes me wish I'd changed at 1,000. Having three drain bolts, an oil filter and a clutch filter added a bit of complexity and took me a couple hours. Now that I've done it, the next changes should take considerably less time. The clutch filter was a bit of a hassle but I think that will be easier on subsequent changes too.
I think the Honda 4,000 mile recommended first oil change is way too many miles, in my opinion.

Changed mine at 900 miles, made me feel all warm and fuzzy.:smile2:
Honda should of made some way to retain that pesky spring in the DCT filter cover. LOL

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
And there will be many who'll agree with you. However, the correct thing to do is follow the advise that is put in writing by the engineers who designed our Wings ... do the first oil change at 4,000 miles.

Riders who get fresh rings with transmission repairs are advised to allow the break in oil to do its job and wait till 4,000 miles before the next oil/filter change.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
And there will be many who'll agree with you. However, the correct thing to do is follow the advise that is put in writing by the engineers who designed our Wings ... do the first oil change at 4,000 miles.

Riders who get fresh rings with transmission repairs are advised to allow the break in oil to do its job and wait till 4,000 miles before the next oil/filter change.
I agree, its the moly assembly lube that turns the oil black, but in my case the dealer had overfilled the bike and I wanted to find out how much oil was in there. So I drained it out at 900 I think. It was overfilled by 1 quart.:frown2:
The European and Australian spec bikes call for a 600 mile service in their owners manual. Go figure.

In Russian owners manual the first service on 1000km or 600mile. Need to change motor oil, oil filter and DCT filter.
Attached Images File Type: jpegCBA8AE26-A545-4C84-82AC-E0D96DB43212.jpeg (422.4 KB, 66 views)

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Odd that the oil appeared dark and murky. My initial change at 4,000 miles yielded oil that almost looked new. The filter media of the main filter was also very clean (what a mess to cut one open). The DCT filter did have a fair load of dark mud-like dirt, but not clogged.

prs

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
At almost 3800 miles, the oil in my bike was dark and murky.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Its funny how changing the oil makes you feel good about the bike somehow :)
Yup. It's always about "feel" - never about fact. Makes no sense to me. The fact is these more frequent oil changes are nothing but waste. There's more than enough evidence out there to prove it.

Oh, but the oil looks dirty... :roll: Give me a break... People who don't know anything about oil thinking they know more than those who do. But they feel good about it... :roll:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Odd that the oil appeared dark and murky. My initial change at 4,000 miles yielded oil that almost looked new. The filter media of the main filter was also very clean (what a mess to cut one open). The DCT filter did have a fair load of dark mud-like dirt, but not clogged.

prs
Interesting, mine was grayish and completely opaque. My only reference was my ST1300 and the oil for 130K always came out transparent and went from a typical honey colored to and amber color at change. But then I trust the Honda engineers and this next oil change I will do a short mileage change.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Yup. It's always about "feel" - never about fact. Makes no sense to me. The fact is these more frequent oil changes are nothing but waste. There's more than enough evidence out there to prove it.

Oh, but the oil looks dirty... :roll: Give me a break... People who don't know anything about oil thinking they know more than those who do. But they feel good about it... :roll:
I'm in the "it makes me feel good" gang..... I like my oil to be clean when floating around in my engine! I may not know much about oil like you suggested, BUT I do know that the engine just cost me lots of money and I want her to stay happy, and using clean oil makes my "Blacky" a happy girl. 0:)0:) and yep, she sure does perrrrrrr when I change her oil....

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Has anyone made a video of doing an oil change, on the 2018, with any tips?
Fred has a vid on the oil change. Part of his $70 package of 2018 GL vids. Well worth the money, IMO.

As for tips, yes. Buy a new o ring for the DCT cover. Also buy new sealing washers (not called crush washers in the owners manual) for the drain bolts. And, you need a "cup wrench" to get the filter off. A strap wrench will not fit. You can buy the wrench and filter from Honda in one package (explained in Fred's vid) or buy the filter only from Honda and go to an auto parts store for the wrench (take the filter with you to be sure of fit).

Use an 8mm socket inserted into the bottom of the trans filter to help wiggle it out. The rubber gasket on the filter may keep it in place. And the spring on the trans cover may fall into the oil pan when you remove the cover, so...

When tightening everything, just use feel, not a torque wrench. There is a thread on that somewhere on the forum.

Reactions: Hoopdc and DCB

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Feel gooders also believe it runs better if washed and waxed. ;-)

prs

·
Registered
97 Posts
I see that many people are doing their own oil changes (maintenance). How much do the dealerships usually charge for an oil change? I haven't gotten to the point where I need my first one yet but I was just planning on going to the Honda dealership.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
That's because it does run better when its all purdy and clean. :)
Wow ... mine always runs best by keeping it properly maintained and repairing any issues as they arise !!!

·
Registered
794 Posts

This is the winning post in this thread & the only one that makes any sense to me. I realize that many people have nothing better to do than waste time & money on things such as this. However, the facts remain, it is a waste.
BTW when I changed mine at 4,000 miles it looked much like new oil to me. :serious: :surprise:

·
Love The DCT
12,021 Posts
I see that many people are doing their own oil changes (maintenance). How much do the dealerships usually charge for an oil change? I haven't gotten to the point where I need my first one yet but I was just planning on going to the Honda dealership.
I imagine what dealerships charge for an hourly labor rate is going to have the biggest influence on the cost of an oil change. Going labor rate at dealers around me is $110/hr. Engine oil filter is 14 bucks, DCT clutch oil filter is $9.96, 5 quarts of bulk 10W-30 GN4 oil is 12 bucks, DCT clutch filter o ring is $3.67, and 3 sealing washers is $2.94. Make an assumption of . 5 hrs labor from the time the tech pushes the bike up on the lift to the time he pushes it off. That’s 55 bucks labor.

Total in this fictitious case would be $97.57 not counting any sales tax, shop materials, disposal, etc.

:doorag:

Geez, can't add. 1 quart of bulk 10W-30 GN4 is $6.20/quart so 5 quarts would be 31 bucks, not 12 bucks. (duh) Total cost is $116.57 not $97.57.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts