GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday, I changed the oil on the DCT for the first time at 3,950 miles. New oil and clutch filters + five quarts of 10W-30. I am mechanically challenged but I can follow directions on simple maintenance procedures detailed in the service manual. Everything went well except for one thing: Only four quarts of oil came out of the bike. Grr! I guess I have no one to blame, but myself. I should have checked the oil and other fluids when I got it home from the dealer.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I’m assuming you removed all 3 drain plugs. When I bought my last DCT filter, the kid behind the counter made it a point to remind me about the 3 drains. He said if you don’t drain the rear plug and put in 5 quarts of oil, it will be overfilled by about one quart. He told me not to ask how they found out. That’s why I change my own oil.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Last Saturday, I changed the oil on the DCT for the first time at 3,950 miles. New oil and clutch filters + five quarts of 10W-30. I am mechanically challenged but I can follow directions on simple maintenance procedures detailed in the service manual. Everything went well except for one thing: Only four quarts of oil came out of the bike. Grr! I guess I have no one to blame, but myself. I should have checked the oil and other fluids when I got it home from the dealer.

So you didn't check the oil level for 3950 miles?
Why not?
The under filled condition would have made itself known on the dip stick.:smile2:
My dealer overfilled my bike by 1 quart when I bought it, drove me nuts trying to check oil level, I finally figured it out. Did you check your final drive level? Many are 1/2 full upon delivery.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I removed all three plugs. I checked the oil level after the change and it is within the upper and lower limits.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I’m assuming you removed all 3 drain plugs. When I bought my last DCT filter, the kid behind the counter made it a point to remind me about the 3 drains. He said if you don’t drain the rear plug and put in 5 quarts of oil, it will be overfilled by about one quart. He told me not to ask how they found out. That’s why I change my own oil.

I don't believe anything a tech at the dealership tells me. Instead of saying "I don't know" They make stuff up.:frown2:

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
This will sound stupid, but I often check the oil level just before I drop the oil...especially on any vehicle (like the wing) that has shown itself to not use much oil and therefore has a lower check frequency during the oil change interval.

I guess that's pretty much the same as checking how much is drained....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got my new Gold Wing and asked the dealer about checking the oil. He pointed to a “sight glass “ on the side and said to bond the bike level and check the fluid level.

Well ... one day a few weeks later I got the bike up on its main kickstand and found a screw in dipstick. THERE WAS NO OIL indicated!

Apparently the “sight glass” was for brake fluid level?

So I put in over a quart of oil. — check the oil and don’t trust the dealer!

Here’s where it gets worse! I have a 2017 Mercedes Winnebago RV. Took it to dealer for service. Drove hone 75 miles and parked it. Found a pool of oil. OIL DRAIN PLUG was almost all the way out!!!

So, visually check the dealers work and be safe!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
Got my new Gold Wing and asked the dealer about checking the oil. He pointed to a “sight glass “ on the side and said to bond the bike level and check the fluid level.

Well ... one day a few weeks later I got the bike up on its main kickstand and found a screw in dipstick. THERE WAS NO OIL indicated!!
Not to be sassy, but did you do the proper procedure to check the oil level?

The 18+ Wing isn't like many motorcycles, you need to run it for a few minutes, turn it off, put it on the center stand, then let it sit for 2-3 minutes while off, and THEN check the level indicated on the dipstick. The owners manual outlines this procedure and it needs to be followed to get an accurate reading. If you check the level cold without running it first and without the bike upright and level then the stick might show empty but you might be just fine on your oil level.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
Got my new Gold Wing and asked the dealer about checking the oil. He pointed to a “sight glass “ on the side and said to bond the bike level and check the fluid level. Apparently the “sight glass” was for brake fluid level?
That is the sight glass for the brake fluid level in the reservoir for the rear brake. I definitely would not have a comfortable feeling when a person at the dealership says that is how to check the oil level.

:doorag:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just got home from a 4,500 mile trip and had an OIL leak! Bad. Made it to Western Honda in Scottsdale, AZ 15 minutes before closing time....long story short. It was a crushed o-ring on the clutch filter cover from the last dealer service...GURR..

I also got a new E-4 front tire....not liking it over the sportmax but does anyone know if 36psi is still recommended pressure for it? Or is 41?
Thx

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is the sight glass for the brake fluid level in the reservoir for the rear brake. I definitely would not have a comfortable feeling when a person at the dealership says that is how to check the oil level.

:doorag:
That's why dealers fail to thrive. Unfortunately the lack of knowledgeable people in a lot of business is rampant. Has been since I can remember....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts