GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for my first oil change with filter and I am confused on how many quarts to put back in. I know the DCT model gets 4.9 quarts but how many for the 6 speed manual tour with filter change? 3.9 or 4.9 quarts? Three drain holes or one?
I watched Fred's video on oil change but he shows the DCT model.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
Getting ready for my first oil change with filter and I am confused on how many quarts to put back in. I know the DCT model gets 4.9 quarts but how many for the 6 speed manual tour with filter change? 3.9 or 4.9 quarts? Three drain holes or one?
I watched Fred's video on oil change but he shows the DCT model.
Page 155 and 156 in the owner's manual are your friends. One drain plug and 3.9 quarts of oil for the 6 speed.

:doorag:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don't put the whole 3.9 in at first. 3.5ish and do the oil check procedure. The distance between the marks is FAR less than a quart. So top it off slowly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did my first oil change on my 6M/B using Honda oil and filter. Manual says 3.9qts but I simply dumped all 4 into the engine. It shows a little high but after my 100 mile mini-ride today, no issues.

Actually I’ve done this with all of my Hondas and never had any issues. The specs on a wet-sump oiled engine aren’t that tight as to not allow for 3.2 extra ounces of oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Page 155 and 156 in the owner's manual are your friends. One drain plug and 3.9 quarts of oil for the 6 speed.

I believe I have the GL1800 D model which I believe takes 4.9 Quarts. My bike has the travel trunk and TPMS system but has the 6 speed manual transmission. 3.9 quarts is for the GL1800 B model with no trunk and no TPMS.
Could someone confirm this.

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts
I believe I have the GL1800 D model which I believe takes 4.9 Quarts. My bike has the travel trunk and TPMS system but has the 6 speed manual transmission. 3.9 quarts is for the GL1800 B model with no trunk and no TPMS.
Could someone confirm this.
GL1800 BD/D/DA models take 4.9 quarts. GL1800/B models take 3.9 quarts. The six speed bikes do not take 4.9 quarts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GL1800 BD/D/DA models take 4.9 quarts. GL1800/B models take 3.9 quarts. The six speed bikes do not take 4.9 quarts.

These model suffixes letters are confusing not sure what is my model is. What is the breaker down that each letter represents after the GL1800?:shrug:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These model suffixes letters are confusing not sure what is my model is. What is the breaker down that each letter represents after the GL1800?:shrug:
Found this on another web site, this clears up my questions. My bike is the GL1800 Tour with trunk, 6 speed transmission , no letter suffix, takes 3.9 quarts of oil with filter change.

GL1800B = GL1800 "bagger" (no trunk), 6 speed transmission
GL1800BD = GL1800 "bagger" (no trunk), DCT
GL1800 = GL1800 Tour with trunk, 6 speed transmission
GL1800D = GL1800 Tour with trunk, DCT
GL1800DA = GL1800 Tour with trunk, DCT, Airbag

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't put the whole 3.9 in at first. 3.5ish and do the oil check procedure. The distance between the marks is FAR less than a quart. So top it off slowly.
:agree: I just completed the first oil change on my 6-speed. Put 3.9 in and it now reads a little high.

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
Assuming it is always an oil and filter change, the simple way to know is 6 speeds take 3.9 and DCT's take 4.9.

(The spec listing in manual that says
GL1800/B means GL1800 and GL1800B
GL1800BD/D/DA means GL1800BD, GL1800D and GL1800DA)

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Read your owners manual, you guys are scaring me.:smile2:
If you cant manage your oil changes, seek help at the dealer.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
LOL..Live on the wild side and put in 4 quarts for the 6 speed, 5 quarts for the DCT.
The .1 quart (3.2 ounces) is left in the empty oil bottles anyway.:serious:
Don't torque the 2 DCT filter cover bolts and use common sense on the oil drain plugs.
You will need a cup type filter socket for the engine filter.
While you are checking things under the bike, look at the final drive level, 90% are under filled from Honda, and the dealers lot boys, either don't care, don't know how, or wasn't told to check levels before delivery.:frown2:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I continue to be surprised how many new Gold Wings and BMW R1200RTs (my former motorcycle community) are delivered without (apparently) owners's manuals.

I've read forehead-slapping questions on Honda and BMW forums, such as:

How much air should I put in the tires? (It's in the manual.)
When is the first scheduled maintenance for my bike? (It's in the manual.)
What weight oil should I use? (It's in the manual.)
What's the rear axle torque spec? (It's in the manual.)
Does my bike have self-cancelling turn signals? (It's in the manual.)

Etc., etc.

If you need to to ask these questions, I recommend you return to your dealership and DEMAND the owner's manual that comes with every new motorcycle, car or truck sold.

(Um, apologies to all. I forgot to take my meds this morning.)

Tim

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
I continue to be surprised how many new Gold Wings and BMW R1200RTs (my former motorcycle community) are delivered without (apparently) owners's manuals.

Etc., etc.

If you need to to ask these questions, I recommend you return to your dealership and DEMAND the owner's manual that comes with every new motorcycle, car or truck sold.

Tim
Or:

https://powersports.honda.com/goldwing/brochure_pdf_files/2018_gl1800 31mkc600.pdf

https://powersports.honda.com/goldwing/brochure_pdf_files/2018_31mkct00_navi.pdf

https://powersports.honda.com/goldwing/brochure_pdf_files/2018_gl1800_quick _start_guide.pdf

http://hondafeatureassist.com/2018GoldWing/#/home

>:):wink2::nerd:

·
Love The DCT
12,014 Posts

Etc., etc.

Tim
The the 18/19 wings come with owners's and nav manuals. Owner's don't want to take the time to read the 242 page owner's manual or the 85 navigation manual. They would rather spend the time online asking the same question on multiple wing forums.

Not reading the owner's manual is confined just to bikes. No one wants to read a 300 plus pages owner's manual for today's vehicles either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
LOL..Live on the wild side and put in 4 quarts for the 6 speed, 5 quarts for the DCT.
The .1 quart (3.2 ounces) is left in the empty oil bottles anyway.:serious:
Don't torque the 2 DCT filter cover bolts and use common sense on the oil drain plugs.
You will need a cup type filter socket for the engine filter.
While you are checking things under the bike, look at the final drive level, 90% are under filled from Honda, and the dealers lot boys, either don't care, don't know how, or wasn't told to check levels before delivery.:frown2:
Do you know what size that filter socket is? I need to go buy one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts