GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Bought a 09 Wing 2 weeks ago. Should a do a early oil change? I know it was required on my old VTX, oil and valve check at 600 miles. What do you guy's recommend?
Thanks in advance,
Spike

·
Registered
38 Posts
I believe the handbook says 8,000, so change it at 8,000. Honda seems to know what they're doing, so believe what the handbook says.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
My 07 manual says the first engine oil change is 4000 miles or 6 months. 8000 miles or 12 months after that.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
You will get a hundred different answers. Go by the manual:popcorn:

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
Here is what I do.

I did my first three oil & filter changes at 300, 1,000, and 2,000 miles. I got quite a bit of metal out of the engine on the first two changes and could still see a bit on the third change. I use the manufactures oil (Honda GN4) for the break in till about 4 or 5K miles, before switching to a full synthetic.

The reason for doing them early is to flush out the tiny metal flakes out of the oil. They are abrasive and can get embedded in bearing surfaces. When you drain your oil, stir it and look at all the glitter in the oil. That is the stuff you want out of the engine. You will also find some larger shavings down in the bottom of the pan.

Is this overkill? Maybe, but after a $20K investment, it doesn't seem like a big deal to do two or three $20 oil changes early on.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Here is what I do.

The reason for doing them early is to flush out the tiny metal flakes out of the oil. They are abrasive and can get embedded in bearing surfaces. When you drain your oil, stir it and look at all the glitter in the oil. That is the stuff you want out of the engine. You will also find some larger shavings down in the bottom of the pan.

Is this overkill? Maybe, but after a $20K investment, it doesn't seem like a big deal to do two or three $20 oil changes early on.
Could not have said it better myself and the proof is in the progressive oil analysis from Blackstone Labs.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
We are all over the place with this one. I have a VTX too and I believe the first scheduled oil change was 4,000 then every 8,000 there after; same as the GL1800. The initial valve check was earlier, but a different set-up there alltogether than the GL1800. I did an early change on both. I put about three tank loads of fuel through them with moderate riding style accel and engine braking and then changed right to synthetic. The only real break-in is with the rings to the cross hatched cylinder honing and that goes really quick. I tend not to go the full Honda distance on oil changes anyway, but am trying to train myself to stick with 5,000 mile intervals. I can not recall having seen any metal flakes or such in my used oil, other than the initial final drive change (also early). I imagine we tend to over do this and waste a lot of good oil to get that warm fuzzy feeling.

prs

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I would suggest the first change between 500 and 1,000 miles and also change the final drive fluid also.

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
and also change the final drive fluid also.
It's been said that there is some Moly added to the initial fill for the final drive, and the black color of it seems to bear this out. If that is the case, you might be wise to wait a bit on the first final drive fluid change.

·
Registered
357 Posts
the main reason the manufacturers have extended the first oil change way out there is to make it convenient for the owner. tests show that there is no major damage done if you don't change the oil early. so for a good sales point it makes the maintenance intervals more convenient. that doesn't mean that there is not more wear if you were to not change it early, just not enough to make a big difference. same goes for the long term oil changes. i could almost garrantee if you had two 1800 motors with 200,000 miles on them and one had 3000 miles change intervals and the other 8000 mile intervals there would be a noticibal difference in wear and internal cleanliness. it don't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. on the other hand changing oil to early in a new motor can hinder proper ring seating and bearing surfaces wearing in to match. those microscopic particals will act as lapping compound on the wear surfaces and help with the initial break in. i would say don't change it for 600 mi. minimum. also that old crap about run it like you stole it on break in is just plain stupid. not going to go in to the details of micro finishing cuz that would take up a whole book, but that is what i do for a living. believe me ,forcing two precision surfaces together with undo force before they are worn in to match will due tremendous microscopic damage to the surface finish even to the extent of visible scoring. bill

·
Registered
124 Posts
first oil change

My dealer told me at time of delivery of my 07 that they had already changed the factory oil to get rid of any metal shavings, etc., and to follow the maual after that. I doubt if many dealers do that, but you might check. If not, I would change it as at 500-1000 miles. I change my dino Rotella T 15/40 and Walmart filter every 5000 miles. I do not change the crush washer until it needs changing. Mine never needs changing and it does not leak!
SO many opinions on this....aren't you glad you asked?!

·
Registered
297 Posts
You will get a hundred different answers. Go by the manual:popcorn:
:popcorn: I agree, don't forget to use the new super heavy duty chrome crush washer :popcorn:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Guestion for fred

Im no mecanic but shoudlnt the oil filter catch the small pieces of metel when breaking in a new engine. how does it get past the filter and come out with the drain oil ?:?:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts