GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First real outing on the Wing is in the books. Got up Friday morning did my 90 mile commute to and from work. Got back to the house and we packed the Wing down. Pretty much had to force the near useless suitcases shut, trunk full also. With me at 280, wife a petite 125 and the bags crammed full well aware we were overloaded by the book off we went for Eureka Springs Ar. a place we know well and roads I know like the back of my hand. To avoid running head long into Friday rush hour in Tulsa we took the southern route to NW Ar. I had been riding all week with the bike set for two up and that's where we left it. Wanted to see how it did. And it did great! South we went to I-40, East on I-40 to HWY 49 or as some of us older Arkies call it I-540 up to NW Ar. Bike did great on the super slab. Just floated along. Even targeting some of the worse bumps and holes the Wing soaked them up with grace and didn't bottom out once. This route would have beat the wife to death on the King. And would have done me no favors at all. Harleys so called new suspension for 2017 touring frame bikes is a complete failure. Early 1980's junk at best. Got through Fayetteville, into Springdale and shot east on HWY 412 then north on the twisty's into Eureka Springs. No issues on the twisty's. Did not push it. We had both worked the day and we arrived tired and ready to kick back. That was a 300 mile day for me including the work grind, 210 for the wife. Had great evening hanging out at the Cat House and a wonderful night of sleep at The Lodge Hotel. Got up very late the next morning,,, yeah it was still the am. That's when it hit us just how tired and stressed out we have been lately. So instead of shopping and hammering out some great two lane miles we just took it easy. It became very clear we needed some chill time. BUT,,, we did manage a ride out to the War Eagle Mill. Bought some Jelly and Honey there and arranged to have it shipped to our home address. Fresh we explored Sport Mode on the Wing. Didn't smash it as hard as I would have liked. But it did give us a good read. There is going to be some fun had in Sport mode down the road. We did explore Eureka Springs on the Wing. With all the hills, off camber joining roads, stop signs road surfaces going every which way it was a good test of slow speed abilities and manors. The bike did great! Hill Brake Assist worked great in those conditions in the old parts of Eureka Springs. Got around this morning and headed out. Twistys to HWY 412 West, South on HWY 75 and home. A 500 plus mile weekend. Was hoping for 800 or so with lots of twisty action. Just didn't happen. It's not all good. The bike threw a Hill Assist Code TWICE over the weekend and a ABS Code Once. They were cleared by shutting the bike off and then starting it back up. This does piss me off! So a brand new bike now needs to go in for warranty work. And when it starts flashing the Hill Assist Error ours seems to drag the rear brake. There is a over paid engineer somewhere that needs a **** slapping. The bike now has 1100 miles on it and has warranty issues on the braking system. Joy Joy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip. Sounds like Honda has solved the HSA problem with switch replacement so it should not take long to fix it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Trailered my HD Ultra to Eureka Springs a month ago, wanted to get out of Florida and the heat. Spent a week at the Best Western in Eureka Springs and rode during the day. Wasn't happy with the Ultra, navigation on Harley's are junk, has to use a paper map all week. Every time I started up after stops, routes were gone.
Strike one.
As you know Eureka Springs is very hilly and I got caught on a dead end street pointed in the down direction, no reverse. Took a half an hour of back and forth pushing a 900 lb. gorilla to get it pointed in the right direction
Strike two.
Roads in the Ozark Mountains are rough and the Ultra feels them all, Strike three.
We were about 120 from Russelville Honda and made that a day ride to look at the new Goldwings. I had a 08 Goldwing for about 7 years and loved it. Test drove the new Goldwing and what a smoooooth ride, wife loved it also.
Long story short a new Goldwing made the trip home with us and the 900 lb. gorilla was last seen in Russelville.
Love, love, love, this new Wing:grin2:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Trailered my HD Ultra to Eureka Springs a month ago, wanted to get out of Florida and the heat. Spent a week at the Best Western in Eureka Springs and rode during the day. Wasn't happy with the Ultra, navigation on Harley's are junk, has to use a paper map all week. Every time I started up after stops, routes were gone.
Strike one.
As you know Eureka Springs is very hilly and I got caught on a dead end street pointed in the down direction, no reverse. Took a half an hour of back and forth pushing a 900 lb. gorilla to get it pointed in the right direction
Strike two.
Roads in the Ozark Mountains are rough and the Ultra feels them all, Strike three.
We were about 120 from Russelville Honda and made that a day ride to look at the new Goldwings. I had a 08 Goldwing for about 7 years and loved it. Test drove the new Goldwing and what a smoooooth ride, wife loved it also.
Long story short a new Goldwing made the trip home with us and the 900 lb. gorilla was last seen in Russelville.
Now that sounds like a trip! Congrats.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Strike one.
Strike two.
Glad you enjoyed Eureka Springs,,, so to speak. lolololol

What year was the Ultra?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad you enjoyed Eureka Springs,,, so to speak. lolololol

What year was the Ultra?
Ultra was a 2015. Very comfortable bike for driver and passenger. Front end was very soft and would nose dive badly at slow speeds. If front tire wasn't straight when using the front brake at slow speed over you would go. Bike has a lot of pitfalls in engineering. Never trusted the Ultra on trips even though I never had any mechanical problems with it.
Ultra is a pretty bike but always did miss my 2008 wing. Now with this wing I have that warm and fussy feeling again, it's called trust. :grin2:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Had a 2015 Roadglide CVO....was the most top heavy difficult slow speed maneuver bike I ever owned.
Front end also a little squirely as well....that bike was pretty though...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts