GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this group a few days ago. I have already learned a great deal from all you folks. Thanks
My question is: Should I connect my emergency air compressor directly to my battery tender cord or should I use my E/C trunk outlet? Which is less likely to do damage to the electrical system? (The compressor is a cheapo Meijer store type from Tailgate Tools-no fuse in the plug).
Love this board!
Thanks again,
Pat
Silver 03
8000 and counting. :?:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Smokyhiker,

Let me be the first (of many I'm sure) to say WELCOME to the board. You'll learn lots here as most of us have and continue to.

I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure someone with an electrical background will answer up very soon.

Again, welcome aboard.

Paul H.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Welcome!!

Pat,

Welcome to this illustrious group (heh, heh). Actually, a great group of folks that can provide invaluable (that does mean valuable, right) information from time to time.

As for your question, I plus my Wal-Mart air compressor in both the left front pock
et socket and in one that I installed in the trunk. No problems to far!

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Welcome Pat!

I would clip it directly to the battery. Doubt if there is enough amps at either of your plugs. I would think the longer you used the compressor the more amperage it would draw also. I installed a lighter on mine but I have it wired directly to the battery!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Love the color of your bike, Pat. :D I did as Red said, only I added spring loaded clips to hook the compressor directly to the battery. That way, if someone needs to borrow the compressor, he's running down his own battery :!:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome Pat. This is a great board with some fine people.
I've been plugging my Walmart compressor in to the socket in the left fairing pocket for more than two years now with narry a problem. The socket in the trunk lid should be just as good.
I did find out last Friday, for the first time, that the compressor runs faster with the motor running. I normally top off the tires before I ever start the bike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Maybe the best idea is to not let the compressor run too long or get too hot. I'll try both direct connect & plug connection just to see what happens. Just don't want to blow fuses on a long night ride!
Thanks again'
Pat

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Pat,

Welcome aboard to one of the finest journeys a Winger can take.

As for your question, I agree with Red implicitly. The air compressor can draw more wattage than the wire in the power supply (pocket) can stand. I have been warned by everyone, not to use the power supply for a cigarette lighter for these reasons.

If you have the Battery Tender hook up already, all you have to do, is purchase another battery tender end, replace the cigarette lighter end with it and you are all set.

I believe that the power sockets are wired too lightly and need a stronger fuse for what you intend.

All the Best.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Bulldog said:
If you have the Battery Tender hook up already, all you have to do, is purchase another battery tender end, replace the cigarette lighter end with it and you are all set.

Bulldog
Sounds like a great idea... think I'll do that myself! :D

Welcome to the board PAT!! :)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Bulldog is right. The battery tender wire is only about a
16 gauge wire, good for maybe three or four amps. Same
story on the Cigar lighter - wire is very light. If the bike
was wired for the older Gerbing electric clothes, they used
12 gauge wire and a 10 amp fuse, but the same SAE connector.

And the wire on the Powerlet plugs are 14 guage, I think.

·
Registered
58 Posts
BAttery tender hookup

I was discussing a very similar thing on this board some time ago with Lewis from EC. To my best recollection, he feels that the wires that supply the trunk with power are not big enough to handle the wattage drain from a compressor without possibly damaging the wire/hookup. There are several items (according to Lewis) that are hooked into the breaker that serves the trunk power outlet as well. That could also cause problems. I have a power outlet for my wife's heated vest that I installed in the trunk with power coming directly from the battery and that's what I plan on using for access when using the compressor.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the group.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts