GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it finally happened, I was coming to the end of a 10 day ride and when I went to start the thing early in the morning, the battery was dead. It had sat unused for about 36 hours, but why would the battery be dead? Once AAA arrived and gave me a jump it started right up but then the check engine light came on? It ran fine, but the engine light stayed on. Any thoughts what’s going on. The bike is 11 months old and just turned 10,000 miles

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Check your battery connections for looseness, corrosion, etc. it’s not unheard of to have a loose connection on a solenoid...

:thumbup:

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Seems to be a common problem, the electric didn't turn off as it was suppose to. Part of the price to be paid by using the keyless system, then the motorcycle is all confused by the fact it was confused and didn't shut off and the check engine light lights. They really messed up on a few things on the 2018, and the keyless was one of the top ten.

·
Registered
224 Posts
They really messed up on a few things on the 2018, and the keyless was one of the top ten.[/QUOTE]

I totally disagree with you. Just like my 2018 Honda Accord, the keyless works flawlessly. Now I never have to look for my keys. I just walk up to either machine and get on and ride or grab the door handle on my car and jump in and drive. Also when I'm done with either machine, I just walk away and they lock. What could be simpler? BTW, I rarely use the center stand when I stop and as such I don't have the problem with the rear wheel moving.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are the terms of the battery warranty? I will check the terminals to be sure everything is tight, but my guess is the battery has gone bad. It’s only eleven months old.

·
Registered
360 Posts
What are the terms of the battery warranty? I will check the terminals to be sure everything is tight, but my guess is the battery has gone bad. It’s only eleven months old.

My dealer said that the warranty is 1 year. The dealer has to do a load test, and if it’s bad, they replace it. You need to get the code read, first. If it’s a 116 code, it could be the generator.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is a common problem. My bike was five months old and after returning from an 8000 mile trip (with about 19,000 miles total) the bike was put in the garage for 3 days. It was shut down, and the steering was locked. No lights on, nothing. On the fourth day volts were good, lights bright but it would not turn over. I removed the battery and took it to the dealer who put it on a tester. The test revealed that volts were good but there was only 10% of the cranking amps needed to start the bike. One or more of the cells had gone bad.

The battery warranty is one year. The dealership didn't flinch. They immediately put a new one on the charger and shortly there after I returned home and was on the road in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Batteries are just junk these days! You get a great one or a dud! You just don’t know . . . :frown2:

·
Vendor
22,069 Posts
The batteries on the previous generation bike were excellent and many lasted over 10 years. I'm seeing more and more reports of battery problems on the new bikes. I wonder what has changed, because it appears to be the same battery as used in the older Wings.

I've also run into a couple of instances where the bike wouldn't shut off the electrical system properly even if the rear wheel was fully stopped, and I suspect it checks to see that the FOB is present before shutting off completely. So anything that interferes with the FOB communication could also cause the bike to stay powered up, in addition to the rear wheel not being fully stopped.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Fred,
Is it possible for the bike to not be fully off if the forks are locked?

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I think it's the 'fob not detected' thing.
It's fairly easy to 'turn off' the fob accidentally while it's in a pocket.

It's good that it provides beeps/warnings that the fob isn't present before disabling the ignition -- in case, for example, the fob fell from a pocket or got left where the bike was last started.

BUT, the should made it much clearer that the ignition not off and not doing shut-down -- dash and radio stays on? beeps don't stop? (perhaps until the 'hold knob to off for 3 seconds' forced shutdown feature is used)
AND, how about a timer that ensures battery run-down protection.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I've read about more battery problems in the last year on this bike, than all of the previous years combined since joining this forum on the previous model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
The batteries on the previous generation bike were excellent and many lasted over 10 years. I'm seeing more and more reports of battery problems on the new bikes. I wonder what has changed, because it appears to be the same battery as used in the older Wings.

I've also run into a couple of instances where the bike wouldn't shut off the electrical system properly even if the rear wheel was fully stopped, and I suspect it checks to see that the FOB is present before shutting off completely. So anything that interferes with the FOB communication could also cause the bike to stay powered up, in addition to the rear wheel not being fully stopped.
Almost a year ago when members began to post about "dead batteries", some on this forum posted "even Yuasa can have a bad batch of batteries". Hopefully, no one still believes "it's a bad batch of batteries".

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
the internet shows problems disproportionately, someone with a problem always posts, others who are trouble free just read. my bike is over a year old and never refused to shut off and the battery stays fully charged

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Almost a year ago when members began to post about "dead batteries", some on this forum posted "even Yuasa can have a bad batch of batteries". Hopefully, no one still believes "it's a bad batch of batteries".
Nope.

But it's easier to blame the bike than admit any chance of 'operator error'. >:)

(fwiw, I'd go back to a key in a heartbeat; same as I would with our 'keyless' cage)

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Nope.

But it's easier to blame the bike than admit any chance of 'operator error'. >:)

(fwiw, I'd go back to a key in a heartbeat; same as I would with our 'keyless' cage)
I think that calling it "operator error" is a cop out. The operation of shutting down a motorcycle should be designed so that it is impossible to do wrong.

This is like building a doorway that is too short and hanging a sign over the door that says, "Duck Before Going Through Doorway" and if you bump your head, it's your fault. "Operator Error."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, it finally happened, I was coming to the end of a 10 day ride and when I went to start the thing early in the morning, the battery was dead. It had sat unused for about 36 hours, but why would the battery be dead? Once AAA arrived and gave me a jump it started right up but then the check engine light came on? It ran fine, but the engine light stayed on. Any thoughts what’s going on. The bike is 11 months old and just turned 10,000 miles
Retired Guy, check out my recent post: https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/444011-battery-trickle-died.html. It sounds like a different situation but given all the other comments about how common this is, you might find it of interest.

Tony

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
the internet shows problems disproportionately, someone with a problem always posts, others who are trouble free just read. my bike is over a year old and never refused to shut off and the battery stays fully charged
Haven't this always been true? seems this is a much more common problem now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts