GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing some maintenance on my Goldwing I decided to take my first post op ride. My surgery was 5 weeks ago today and I have worked hard on flexibility of the joint. I have been itching to try to ride but have been waiting for a decent day. Today was beautiful so after finishing my brake pad replacement I hopped aboard and took a 30 mile ride. I had no issues except getting the ball of my right foot on the stock pads. It was a little bit painful to bend the knee the last inch or so. Got it there but after a short time I moved my foot to rest the instep on the pad. All in all the ride was comfortable and I ghourgy enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
You'll get there. Do your exercises, work the stretches.
6 weeks post, it was a challenge to get on the Wing. Now I'm climbing on/off the Multistrada better than than before surgery, and able to get my toes on the Multi's pegs (which I could not do before).
And with no pain! I don't need my highway pegs anymore!

Keep it up, it's worth it. Just remember, you're in a race against scar tissue. If you slack, you'll pay for it forever.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
After doing some maintenance on my Goldwing I decided to take my first post op ride. My surgery was 5 weeks ago today and I have worked hard on flexibility of the joint. I have been itching to try to ride but have been waiting for a decent day. Today was beautiful so after finishing my brake pad replacement I hopped aboard and took a 30 mile ride. I had no issues except getting the ball of my right foot on the stock pads. It was a little bit painful to bend the knee the last inch or so. Got it there but after a short time I moved my foot to rest the instep on the pad. All in all the ride was comfortable and I ghourgy enjoyed it.

I was riding in 7 weeks after Hip Surgery in 1994...!

·
Registered
243 Posts

I had my right replaced 3 years ago next week. I was on the bike (solo) at 3 weeks but didn't take the wife until I was certain that I was capable of holding everything up. The swelling is the culprit. After 6 weeks the swelling was 95% gone and I was better than new and haven't had a minute of pain. Make sure you complete all your PT and then some, and you will be fine.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had my right replaced 3 years ago next week. I was on the bike (solo) at 3 weeks but didn't take the wife until I was certain that I was capable of holding everything up. The swelling is the culprit. After 6 weeks the swelling was 95% gone and I was better than new and haven't had a minute of pain. Make sure you complete all your PT and then some, and you will be fine.
I had both hips and right knee replaced. Both hips are like new and know issues. Right knee is/ was stiff and not very flexible. Dr told me to ride a bike. Any bike that you peddle.stretches help also. Since all this virus crap haven’t been riding like I would like to. First season in4-5 I haven’t had pain when riding. I think the riding is going to step up and get out and ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts