GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my first ride today:excited:, other than riding back from the dealer. (Also have a picture, as you can see in my signature and avatar. Ignore the junk in the background.) Rode to Cheyenne and back, about 100 miles. Temp was about 36 when I left, and about 41 when I got back. I'd have been freezing my hiney off on my Shadow. The Wing does such a good job with air flow that I only got chilly on the return trip, when I didn't have the sun on my back. I couldn't be happier with the bike.:p

Now, my question. In my first "New Guy" post, I mentioned a passenger volume control. There was one observation by laen that it may be a stock part. I can't dispute that, except that it's on the right, not on the left. In any event, can anyone tell me what this is supposed to do? The bike does not have a CB. It does not have rear speakers. Is this just for headset volume, and CB "talk" if a CB is installed? Here is a link to the part. http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1051&str=4

Also, can anyone provide any recommendations regarding rear speakers? The SO definitely wants rear speakers and I have seen many, but don't know which ones to get.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
:congrats: on the new ride. I like the blue.

That controller is purely to adjust the volume of sound in the passenger headset for ALL audio and to transmit on the CB if you had one.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
What year is your bike?

J&M makes a descent speaker, but there is better options if you are a hands-on kinda guy.

Passenger audio (depending on model) usually goes on left side of bike.

We use the J&M passenger audio. She can use the PPT button to either send her voice to my headset or out to cb land. (She can also use the volume control to turn my music down!! heheh - in headset only.)

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the same passenger volume control on my 2004. Since you don't have a CB, it should still adjust the headset volume for your passenger. As for rear speakers, there are many options. Showchrome makes a nice set that is fully plug and play, although you have to disassemble some of the bike to fit them in. Search over on the Electronics forum and you'll see quite a few posts dealing with aftermarket speakers. BTW, if you ride with other riders that have CB's, you'll see the benefits of having one yourself. Might be worth the cost. It sure was for me!

Guy

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year is your bike?

J&M makes a descent speaker, but there is better options if you are a hands-on kinda guy.
The bike is an '05.
What are some of the better "hands-on" options? I pretty much do everything myself.

I figure I'll eventually get a CB. For now, I've got to get the SO on the back and used to it. Then we'll be looking at rides where a CB would come in handy. I'm not in a big rush yet, but one day I'll be in the market, even though Honda prices them insanely high.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I went from a Shadow 750 ACE to the '03 wing. You'll never be satisfied with a lesser bike again.

If you want to get the warden in to riding more, you'll be looking at Baker mirror wings and a different windshield.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts