GL1800Riders Forums banner

First ride on the Darkside

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Rocketman911 
#1 ·
I got the new Dunlop Wintersport on yesterday but it was raining so I waited until this morning for a ride. Most of my riding is 2-up but the wife unit wasn't along for this one.

The smooth ride was the first thing I noticed. I can't wait to see what she has to say!

The other thing was the steering. The Goldwing always impressed me with it's almost psychic steering on the highway. It always seemed to see the road and turn gently by itself. On this first ride today, I did find myself having to put a little extra thought into the turns, even though it still wasn't much. A slight tilt of the head maybe or a nudge on the grip is about all it needs. I'm sure that will become 2nd nature after a few more miles.

I do think there was a little increased noise (hum) from the snow tire but my car does the same thing only 4X louder and I don't have a helmet on, so it doesn't bother me. I'll get another opinion from my rider tonight.

Thank you to all you guys for the info here on the forums. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to our DS trip to Yellowstone next month.

minnitman

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the Darkside minnitman!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
You are correct, it will become second nature in short order!:thumbup::thumbup::congrats:

#5 ·
You know you can ride up to Wisconsin and get Darksider cookies from Rail32, just send him a PM and make the necessary arrangements!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#7 ·
I'm just gettin ready to put on my wintersport keep us posted on your rides with it

#8 ·
:congrats: on giving it a go. Now that wasn't so scary afterall was it?

Enjoy the trip to YS. My wife and I road out there in 2009 and fell in love with that place. Really awesome part of the country! :thumbup:

I got the new Dunlop Wintersport on yesterday but it was raining so I waited until this morning for a ride. Most of my riding is 2-up but the wife unit wasn't along for this one.

The smooth ride was the first thing I noticed. I can't wait to see what she has to say!

The other thing was the steering. The Goldwing always impressed me with it's almost psychic steering on the highway. It always seemed to see the road and turn gently by itself. On this first ride today, I did find myself having to put a little extra thought into the turns, even though it still wasn't much. A slight tilt of the head maybe or a nudge on the grip is about all it needs. I'm sure that will become 2nd nature after a few more miles.

I do think there was a little increased noise (hum) from the snow tire but my car does the same thing only 4X louder and I don't have a helmet on, so it doesn't bother me. I'll get another opinion from my rider tonight.

Thank you to all you guys for the info here on the forums. :thumbup:

I'm looking forward to our DS trip to Yellowstone next month.

minnitman

#9 ·
If you had wanted to really be impressed, you should have ridden it in the rain. :shock: Incredible bite and stability. :thumbup:

#13 ·
Ok...Hate to ask...But...what is the full definition of "CT" associated with the dark side....

#14 ·
Ok...Hate to ask...But...what is the full definition of "CT" associated with the dark side....
Car Tire.... I prefer Rockies BMT see my sig line :thumbup:

#15 ·
You know you can ride up to Wisconsin and get Darksider cookies from Rail32, just send him a PM and make the necessary arrangements!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
That's a fact !

#16 ·
:congrats: I have over 4000 miles on my Wintersport now. I am en pressed with the ride and handling. Enjoy. :coffee1:

#17 ·
UPDATE: We went for a little shakedown cruise and put on a little over 100 miles. I told the wife I wanted her opinion and didn't say anything to her about how I felt. I actually tried to give her the impression that I was less than thrilled so she wouldn't be swayed by my enthusiasm. When we were only a couple miles from home, she pipes up and says, "It feels like riding on a marshmallow."

I guess that says it all. :thumbup:

minnitman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.