GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ride with new Vstream se today, OK so it finally stopped raining in Sydney and I got to do a sort test of my new shield, I love this shield, the test was only short but it seems very quiet, takes a little getting use to the new angle but the shield does not move at the edges at speed as the original did, (I only ran it up to 140km) also the vent is placed a little higher and seems to work better, the short test was mostly on a heavy freeway with lots of trucks, so lots of dirty air, I did not play with the height and I had it all the way down, as I always did with the factory shield, I did go through a short burst of heavy rain and the water came off the shield in a way I never seen before, so the rain zip repellent gets a big thumb’s up, oh and I love the look, so all in all very happy. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have the same shield Bob, gotta watch out for juicy bugs hitting and sliding up the shield splattering all over your face. I hate bugs...lol. I do like the windshield, have not ridden with it down, mine stays all the way up for the SO. Seems to be less wind on her with it up. Enjoy the ride...:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I have always had X-Tall Tulsa's but decided to try the new V Stream.

Ordered one and put it on.
The vent was right in my line of vision and it was very distorted. My wife said she was getting more wind then before.
After a 30 miles ride, I camme home, took it off and sent it back for a refund.

I'm staying with my Tulsa!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I installed my new Vstream last Tuesday and took it for a 50 mile ride in the rain. I am very impressed. It is quieter and the air around me is smoother. I hope it helps my wife out as much as it has me. Before the buffeting was so bad I could not see clearly and now I can see the road signs clearly. The distortion around the vent is not a problem as I set mine so I can look over it. I did have one problem with it, it do not stop me from falling over:joke::joke::joke:. On my way into my gravel driveway I took the corner a bit wide to miss a muddy spot on the corner, this put the back tire on the wet grass with the bike leaned over for the corner, needless to say we went down. I was not going very fast and if it had been on pavement the crash bars would have taken all the damage but because of the soft gravel I scraped up the saddle bags. Damm Vsteam :lol::lol: I thought it would fix ALL my problems.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Funny about the comment from the Tulsa lover. I too was a Tulsa lover, had four or five of them and did not mind looking through them or really too much when in the rain as it only went up on the outside, not down again on the inside like the factory sheild.

I got a chance to get a free V Stream in order to do an installation article in a magazine that my daughter is associated with. I did not think that I would like it at all when I saw it, but was willing to give it a try.
I have it all the way up and look through it at the very top but I can peek over it when I want to. I am six ft. two inches tall by the way. The air vent is well below my sight line and it is the first time I ever had an air vent.

I have about 11,000 miles on it now and have ridden in all kinds of weather. I think I really love this thing. The rain scoots over my head a lot like the Tulsa but the Tulsa would shake the rain in a bunch when I hit a bump in the road. The Vstream doesn't do that and is much easier to see through when wet, plus I can peek over it if it is too dirty or wet. I don't get hardly any buffeting and my wife, who is shorter than me, gets no buffeting either. Lastly, with all those miles on it and many cleanings, there is not a single scratch on it.

If this thing ever does wear out, I will pay my money to replace it with the same thing.:p

·
Registered
967 Posts
First ride with new Vstream se today, OK so it finally stopped raining in Sydney and I got to do a sort test of my new shield, I love this shield, the test was only short but it seems very quiet, takes a little getting use to the new angle but the shield does not move at the edges at speed as the original did, (I only ran it up to 140km) also the vent is placed a little higher and seems to work better, the short test was mostly on a heavy freeway with lots of trucks, so lots of dirty air, I did not play with the height and I had it all the way down, as I always did with the factory shield, I did go through a short burst of heavy rain and the water came off the shield in a way I never seen before, so the rain zip repellent gets a big thumb’s up, oh and I love the look, so all in all very happy. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
See Bob, I told you you would like it :lol:

One question for you...does the shield hit the top of your dashboard when it's all the way down? Mine touches it and it's not until it's in the #2 position before it's clear of it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Enjoy the shield. I'm 6'2" also. I keep it in th lowest position, athough I have tried it out in others, just because, it seemed taller, I guess because of the slightly closer position but is easy to see over in the first 2 positions, 3rd is kind of in the line of sight at the top of the shield.

I got it for the wife mostly. She doesn't complain much but wad started to get uncomfortable when in a lot of turbulent air and in strong crosswinds. She is a very hapopy camper now, only gets tossed about in the strongest of crosswinds, and said it is still much better. I also noticed a quieter ride, almost too still. The vent is out of my way, and funnels a lot of air when needed. We keep it at the lowest setting, I do kick it up a notch when cold, but havent heard any moaning over the intercom. LOL

They are different, I would like a little more air movement, but all in all it is a great product. It is pricey though. I guess you get what you pay for, although I bought mine from a board memeber who didn't agree with it.

Everyone likes different things, best of luck.

·
Registered
818 Posts
What a coincidence! Do you mean Sydney, Nova Scotia? My wife and I just returned from a 5 week trip up there and yes, it rained most of the time; we were at Cape Breton in our RV, a little over 7k miles from and to Texas. Paying 15% sales tax at one of the stores there makes me appreciate the 8.25% in Tejas.

I mounted my Vstream SE last year and my first long trip was in a quartering cross wind and the shield gave no protection. But since then, I've ridden in all types of weather, and it works well. I'm trading the bike and will difinitely remove it to install on the '12 G/wing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What a coincidence! Do you mean Sydney, Nova Scotia? My wife and I just returned from a 5 week trip up there and yes, it rained most of the time; we were at Cape Breton in our RV, a little over 7k miles from and to Texas. Paying 15% sales tax at one of the stores there makes me appreciate the 8.25% in Tejas.

I mounted my Vstream SE last year and my first long trip was in a quartering cross wind and the shield gave no protection. But since then, I've ridden in all types of weather, and it works well. I'm trading the bike and will difinitely remove it to install on the '12 G/wing.
No Sydney Australia

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See Bob, I told you you would like it :lol:

One question for you...does the shield hit the top of your dashboard when it's all the way down? Mine touches it and it's not until it's in the #2 position before it's clear of it.

Thanks!

no mine does not touch all the way down, its close but i have a small gap, strange?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Bob,

I dun tolt ya that if you paid my expenses and let me ride your bike in the "Down Under" for 2 weeks, that I would have joined you and help you install that Comfort shield.

PS: I don't eat Roo (I don't think...LOL)

Bulldog

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob,

I dun tolt ya that if you paid my expenses and let me ride your bike in the "Down Under" for 2 weeks, that I would have joined you and help you install that Comfort shield.

PS: I don't eat Roo (I don't think...LOL)

Bulldog

you may change your mine, once you taste it!, yeah come on over!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts