GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Goldwing last year, I never got to ride it because it was snowing out, so the dealer delivered it to my house. One day while looking at it, I noticed something was leaking on the back rim. It was clear so I thought it was the rear caliper. I called the dealer and they came and took it. Turned out the final drive was leaking. They fixed it, but the bikes been there for about a month and a half due to weather. Picked it up today to bring it home. First time I ever rode a Goldwing. Engine reminds me of a diesel with the smoothness and sound. It does get up and go when you give it some throttle though. Stable as a rock. Suspension felt ok for me, but I ride a Vstrom so pretty much anything would feel good. I felt a bit more cramped then I thought I would. My foot would hit the engine case when going for a shift once in awhile, but i'll get used to that. Speaking of shifting, I found it hard to grab neutral when I was at a stop. I think half of it was being nervous about dropping the bike and the other half was just being used to my Suzuki. The Honda is a good shifting bike though. Brakes and clutch felt awesome. Had the screen on the lowest setting and actually liked it, but didn't try any other positions. Was only a 45 minute ride, but I really like the bike and cant wait to get back on it.

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
WELCOME TO THE WING ! MILES = SMILES :thumbup: ITS BIKE WEEK NOW! GOOD REASON TO TAKE A RIDE ;)

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and it's great to hear your dealer fixed your final drive for free, all kinds of riders monkey around trying to get to neutral when stopped, seems like a bad habit, I don't have any trouble finding neutral but also don't use neutral unless there is good reason to, when parked on side stand my bike is usually in first gear so it can't roll, that's a lesson I learned years ago when a bike owned back then was parked on a slight slope and rolled just far enough to fall over and broke some stuff $$$:thumbup:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Keep an eye on your final drive. My 2012 with 23,000 miles on it has been to the dealer 3 times now since January 1st. Honda keeps saying that they have not seen this problem and keeps telling them to replace the large seal behind the hub. The last one lasted 100 miles, I pick it up again this morning and am very skeptical that it worked this time. The dealer seems to be on my side and says that if it is not fixed this time that they are going to order a new drive and deal with Honda when the time comes.

And before people start with just get a trike take off and replace it, why should I let Honda get off from their duty to stand behind there warrenty?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
First Ride

WELCOME to the forum. Also WELCOME to the wonderful world of the Goldwing. As you put on the miles you will understand why there are so many wings on the road. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Personally, I'm NEVER in neutral while at a light or stop sign--- you may need to move quickly one of these days!!

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
The Goldwings weak point is the front suspension. Do a search on Traxxion and Progressive if you want to improve it

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keep an eye on your final drive. My 2012 with 23,000 miles on it has been to the dealer 3 times now since January 1st. Honda keeps saying that they have not seen this problem and keeps telling them to replace the large seal behind the hub. The last one lasted 100 miles, I pick it up again this morning and am very skeptical that it worked this time. The dealer seems to be on my side and says that if it is not fixed this time that they are going to order a new drive and deal with Honda when the time comes.

And before people start with just get a trike take off and replace it, why should I let Honda get off from their duty to stand behind there warrenty?
Hmm,,,,thanks for the heads up. That stinks to hear that. I hope they get yours fixed up for you finally. I also hope mine doesn't leak anymore. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the new bike! Personally, I'm NEVER in neutral while at a light or stop sign--- you may need to move quickly one of these days!!
I hear what your saying. Its a bad habit. I always wait for the traffic to stop and then put the Vstrom in neutral. Need to quit doing that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First ride for me too.

Tkitna, we are on the exact same path, except for the leak. I too had a Vstrom and in December bought 2003 Wing with 12,000 miles from California. Had it trucked to NE Ohio and it's been in my garage until yesterday. I got out for 22 miles after work. Today it snowed. I did mix up the road a little, and a few miles on the highway to try out the cruise. I can hardly wait for spring.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tkitna, we are on the exact same path, except for the leak. I too had a Vstrom and in December bought 2003 Wing with 12,000 miles from California. Had it trucked to NE Ohio and it's been in my garage until yesterday. I got out for 22 miles after work. Today it snowed. I did mix up the road a little, and a few miles on the highway to try out the cruise. I can hardly wait for spring.
Where abouts in Ohio? I live in the upper northern panhandle. I'm about 5 minutes away from Ohio and 5 minutes away from PA. Maybe we can hook up for a ride someday. Yeah, the bike was a big difference from the Vstrom. Lots of fun.

·
Registered
429 Posts
it'll grow on you

Congrats on the new bike. The more you ride it, the better you will like it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the forum. Great place to be

·
Registered
150 Posts

Sure glad your dealer is standing behind the problem since the dealer rep obviously doesnt want to admit a new part is requried to fix the problem. Most likely when they pull the bad final drive and show it to the honda rep he will agree to reimburse the dealer. I would still let the manufacturer know about this issue though just in case the same dealer rep is doing the same thing to other owners. It just takes one bad person in this position to ruin a brand for a bunch of people. Afterall this is a goldwing and not a base model el cheepo bike. They should have gone the extra mile after the first seal was replaced and didnt fix the issue.

All things manufactured will have good and bad units. Please share your dealer name with the rest of us as they seem to be doing the right thing. We all need to support the good guys when we can.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome to the world of Wings Tkitna and Blknh1992, lol it is kinda cool you both came from the Vstrom to a Wing.
As for your hitting the engine case when going for a shift, I am wondering if it is because of where you are used to placing your feet on a Vstrom foot peg compared to a wings foot peg. I place mine squarely on top of the peg and not out on the edge, but then again I have fairly small feet, I wear a 9.5 boot.
As you ride it more, you will find what suits you best. Any questions at all, ask away!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sure glad your dealer is standing behind the problem since the dealer rep obviously doesnt want to admit a new part is requried to fix the problem. Most likely when they pull the bad final drive and show it to the honda rep he will agree to reimburse the dealer. I would still let the manufacturer know about this issue though just in case the same dealer rep is doing the same thing to other owners. It just takes one bad person in this position to ruin a brand for a bunch of people. Afterall this is a goldwing and not a base model el cheepo bike. They should have gone the extra mile after the first seal was replaced and didnt fix the issue.

All things manufactured will have good and bad units. Please share your dealer name with the rest of us as they seem to be doing the right thing. We all need to support the good guys when we can.
The Dealer that I use is Team Powersports in Garner NC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the wife out for the maiden voyage and she loves it (only about 200 miles today). I love it too, but I did notice an annoying vibrating noise at a certain RPM. Like plastic vibrating. I thing its the center console thing, but can't be sure. The front forks need some work too, but thats in the future. Love the bike so far.

10014615_10203018419721971_698664588_n.jpg

·
Registered
222 Posts
Took the wife out for the maiden voyage and she loves it (only about 200 miles today). I love it too, but I did notice an annoying vibrating noise at a certain RPM. Like plastic vibrating. I thing its the center console thing, but can't be sure. The front forks need some work too, but thats in the future. Love the bike so far.

10014615_10203018419721971_698664588_n.jpg
:thumbup::thumbup:
Glad to hear were able to get out for a quick ride today and that the Wife loved it, as all men know and have learned at some point in life "If Mama ain't happy, No one is!" :thumbup:
As for that vibrating noise, I have assumed from your post about the dealer working on the final drive, that is a new Wing and not one of the older models like mine. While I have not ridden a new wing, that vibrating noise you're hearing should not be there IMHO.
I do agree that the front forks are a weak spot in the Wing design, and while yes they are ok and will suffice for most. There is a whole slew of options out there for you. You can do like I did and just throw in some Race Tech Springs, and All Balls Steering head bearings. Great improvement in steering and handling quality. While not the absolute best upgrade, for me it is the biggest bang for the buck you can do for the suspension without some major $$$$ involved.
Thanks for the update!!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Welcome to the forum and hope the final drive issue is resolved. Stay safe. Pictures, we like pictures of Wings, not of football helmets. Opps, I don't have one either, sorry. IMG_0805.jpg Here it is!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts