GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the G-Max out on it's maiden voyage today after taking all those pictures which will come later! I run up into Tenn. on a 115 mile run with 44psi in the tire.(remember I only go 35mph)

Where do I want to start? Well first it is taller and put my speedo of only 3mph instead of 5, that's a plus. Running 100 miles on the GPS, wing showed 103.1.
The tire rode pretty nice although I don't think 44psi is enough air for the twisties. The rear end felt real squirrely on the curves, I will try it again at 46psi. It could be harder rubber than I am use to, but it felt like sidewall flex to me. Could be this tire has to be scuffed in more! The bike transitions left to right pretty easy, but not quite as easy as my Sunny, although it isn't far off. I did get a chance to run it some on wet roads also and it seemed just fine to me.

As of right now it is the least favorite of the four C/Ts I have run, but that could change with a couple of minor adjustments! Time and miles will tell!

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
So you not grounded from bike I take it :twisted:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
195 55 16
MY WING IS AN 03!:thumbup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for the review and pictures Rocketman!:thumbup:

I've been running mine between 44 and 46psi so far, but I haven't noticed any sidewall flex. Then again it is my first CT. Now that school is out up here I can start commuting on some nice twisty back roads so I should get a better idea of its handling. I do go slightly over 35mph since I also drive a high performance Olds...:cool:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the review and pictures Rocketman!:thumbup:

I've been running mine between 44 and 46psi so far, but I haven't noticed any sidewall flex. Then again it is my first CT. Now that school is out up here I can start commuting on some nice twisty back roads so I should get a better idea of its handling. I do go slightly over 35mph since I also drive a high performance Olds...:cool:
Lee I have blue hair and drive a Buick.;) I will find out more today at 46psi!:thumbup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thinning and receding, but not blue yet... and the olds is only a 6 cylinder... ;)

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My second run was 60+ miles into the wonderful metropolis of Huntsville AL. With 46psi in the G-max and off I go. Ran a little on the expressway then into parkway traffic we go. The bike handled better with 46psi even though I didn't do any testing in the twisties. It just felt a lot better to me, I liked the flickability of the tire. I had no problems with tar snakes, and it ran straight and true on the slab. I am liking it better than I did yesterday!:thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
RocketMan,

I am very glad to hear that last report :lol: Did the tire get a little hard at 46? I am hoping to get mine mounted tomorrow. FB

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
My thinking is 46 psi required air pressure equals even thinner sidewalls, making tire even rounder. Rounder good, sidewalls weaker bad. But keep us posted Rocket and I am interested in twistie handling with it . My guess also it gets slippery with less contact patch and higher pressure.:shrug: Guess !

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RocketMan,

I am very glad to hear that last report :lol: Did the tire get a little hard at 46? I am hoping to get mine mounted tomorrow. FB
Yes it had a little harder feel at 46psi. But I didn't like the feel at 44psi in the twisties. Just something about sidewall flex I don't like. I am not one to run "just" one psi setting. For everyday use I will most likely run 42-44psi, but if I'm going on a more spirited ride I will bump it up!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My thinking is 46 psi required air pressure equals even thinner sidewalls, making tire even rounder. Rounder good, sidewalls weaker bad. But keep us posted Rocket and I am interested in twistie handling with it . My guess also it gets slippery with less contact patch and higher pressure.:shrug: Guess !
Yes, without the rim protection ridge like the Falken, Hankook, or Sunny has the sidewall has more of a flex to them!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went on a 230 mile ride with the GWRRA club today. The G-Max did fine, although I should have let a couple of pounds out before I left. One thing I found out about it, it does well in the gravel!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update!

Took my wife out to lunch on the wing today. It was the first time two up on the G-Max. At 45psi I thought this is terrible. I dropped it down 5psi and it was the difference between night and day! I had it up to 80 on the expressway and it did great! After we got into town in stop and traffic, changing lanes zipping around cars, I was surprised at how well it performed seeing I didn't care for it that much in the twisties. I have to give it a :yes1::yes1: for two up riding. The wife and I are not small people either!

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rocket, so are you saying it is o.k. two-up in town, but not so good hammering the twisties one-up?
Travel, I did say things may change. Right now, for all around I like the Sunny best. The main thing I don't like about the G-Max is the thinner sidewalls and no rim protection ridge like the others have. For D.Q., GWRRA type of riding (which I do a lot of) I really like it! In no way am I saying the tire isn't any good, just at this time I like the others a little better. The G-Max is rated to 51psi, so I still have a ways to go in my testing. I wish mama would let me go back to the mountains to play. But she won't give me any gas money!:cry::cry:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts