GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my new 2008 Wing last week I was given a form called First Service Form. The form states that I am supposed to bring my bike in at 600 miles for service at a cost to me of $99.00 plus any parts that are needed. They had me sign the form. Is this a local dealer requirement? I can't find anything in the manual about a 600 mile service check. The form also states."Failure caused by a lack of or improper maintenance may not be covered under your Honda Warranty".

Ken

·
Registered
688 Posts
:wrong:
Just another way for that dealer to get into your pocket. I would have never signed it. You might want to look somewhere else for future service work, I don't think this one is very ethical.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
They are trying to bend you over.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I didn't have to sign a form like that; but I did have the dealer change the oil, filter and rear drive fluid at about 1,000 miles just to get rid of any metal shavings, filing, etc. Probably cost me about that. However; I wouldn't like the idea of making it sound like it is mandatory.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I bought my wing up near Dallas, the dealer recommended same interval for the first service. When I told them my first ride was back to New Orleans for work and would be just over 500 miles one-way, they stuck to the recommendation and said have it done down there, but get it done.
Didn't ask me to sign anything, but were quite adament about the service after 600 break in miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got off the phone with Corporate Honda and asked them about this issue. They said there is no requirement for any maintenance or service prior to 4000 miles for the Gold Wing. They further stated that ignoring the local dealer requirement for the 600 mile check in no way effects or invalidates the Honda warranty on my motorcycle. Looks like the local dealer is just trying to transfer money from my pocket to his..... imagine that!

Ken

·
Registered
189 Posts
My dealer told me I needed to bring it in at 600 miles for first service, the manuel says 4000 miles but the only exception is oil. Oil is 4000 or one year.

I stopped by another dealer and asked about the first service on a wing and they also told me 600.

At 600 miles what are they going to do? as no oil change is due my guess is just look it over.

V

·
0 Posts
I would guess that maybe they do not sell a lot of Wings and just tell you what other types of bikes require. Most every other bike I have had required a 600 mile service.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My dealer told me I needed to bring it in at 600 miles for first service, the manuel says 4000 miles but the only exception is oil. Oil is 4000 or one year.

I stopped by another dealer and asked about the first service on a wing and they also told me 600.

At 600 miles what are they going to do? as no oil change is due my guess is just look it over.

They will do a wonderful job if taking your money. Look in your book and it will tell you when and what needs to be done. If its a really good dealer they mite look it over and check some nuts and bolts, but then you could that.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Make sure YOU check all the fluid levels as soon as you can. Most dealers don't do this very well. I you have any kind of mechanical skill you can change your own oil and filter. It only takes a few minutes and easy to do. You could do this at about 1000 miles or so to get all the metal shavings out of the system. Also a good idea to change out the rear gear box oil at that time also, or at least check it for proper level.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My dealer also sent me an offer
for a "first service" checkup.
I asked the service manager
about what they did for $150.00
and he said they check all the obvious
things like cables, antifreeze, tires,
and they change the oil and the final drive oil.
I told him I wouldn't spend $150.00 for
that, and he was surprised it was that much.
I did it myself.
A delear can always say "Not doing the
proper mainainence, may void warrenty.
That statement will always be true....
but they seem to imply that whatever they
are rying to sell you falls under that.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
When I picked up my new 2008 Wing last week I was given a form called First Service Form. The form states that I am supposed to bring my bike in at 600 miles for service at a cost to me of $99.00 plus any parts that are needed. They had me sign the form. Is this a local dealer requirement? I can't find anything in the manual about a 600 mile service check. The form also states."Failure caused by a lack of or improper maintenance may not be covered under your Honda Warranty".

Ken
What do your Owners' Manual and Warranty Service booklet say?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The manual says first service at 4000 miles.

Ken

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
They are just stuck in that 30+ year old thinking. You use to have to change the oil more frequently. That's the old days. Just stick with the manual says and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I purchased my new 2008 GW back in March of last year and I do my own maintenance. Oil changed at 4,000 miles. Checked the cables for tightness. At 8,000 miles I plan on changing the rear end oil.

I will also change the brake fluid and clutch fluid every 2 years or 24,000 miles whichever come first.

Air filter change at 28,000 miles.

Even if you aren't mechanically inclined, get yourself the 16 disc DVD's that Fred Harmon sells. Worth every dollar it will cost you and learn to do your own maintenance. Best money I ever spent! He takes you step-by-step thru almost anything that you need to do to your GW.

Besides you doing it yourself, you will know that it was done right. Remember to keep a log of what you do to your bike, for a record of proper mainenance done.

Works for me!

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
They are trying to bend you over.
Me thinks they already had him bent over and were getting ready to :eek:4: well, I think you know what I was going to say. :wrong:

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
The manual says first service at 4000 miles.

Ken
OK.
That's it! If that (4000 miles) occurs within a year, I don't thing=k a dealer would be dumb enough to argue with you. I wouldn't go beyond a year for the first oil change and doubt that the Owners' Manual would condone it either...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts