GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my first ride today with a new helmet; a full face helmet, the first of its kind I could even tolerate to keep on my head for more than just a few seconds. OK, I have a big head, and high cheek bones. Years ago, 2003 or so, I had a Nolan flip face I could wear, but it was so blasted noisy and susceptible to wind baffling that I gave it up. ¾ and ½ helmets have been the mainstay all this time. A year or so ago a got a full helmet in XXL and it was soooo small, but it fit my daughter. Recently, a venerable member here mentioned his success with Arai XD, so I researched it and saw that it had features that offered some promise for success. I took the plunge and ordered a white XD4. This model allows the user to adjust the cheek/chin pads by removing layers of the liner, which I had to do. The good: It was quiet. It fit my head well. The face shield is remarkably good, in fact looking through it I could not tell I was looking through it. I had to reach up and touch it to be sure; with it clamped down, or even opened a bit. The low sun was out of my eyes thanks to the “peak” or what I call a “bill”. Good venting that is fully adjustable from strong air flow to off. The not so good: It is not easy to put on, at least compared to a ½, ¾, or even flip face. I had to put my ear buds in, take my glasses off, stretch the lower helmet and squeeze into it, then carefully force my eyeglasses back in. It’s harder to fasten, harder to unfasten. But, I guess those “bads” are just what it is to have a full helmet that fits snugly. Overall, I like it. Nice to have the protection and added eye shield. Thank you, Cycledude!

prs

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I have a hard time finding helmets to fit as well. It really annoys me that the US market for motorcycle helmets think that everyone's head looks like
. The only variant is having a slight oval top, but still having that very narrow jaw line. I have tried on several flip chin helmets that I could not get the chin bar to latch because I could not press in the sides enough to get the latch pins to line up and latch. My jaw pushed the sides out that much. I have taken the cheek pads out of the largest Shark Evo Line made and had the pad-less plastic rest on my cheeks. I am convinced that part of the reason half helmets are popular is because that is the only ones that fit out of the box without the need to butcher it. The helmet size I "should" be wearing is a Large. Helmets that fit me out of the box that were in the US market 15-30 years ago but are now long gone were all "large". But I have had one XL and even another XXL primarily because of my jaw line. Needless to say, I never really kept the XL and XXL very long because they really did not fit.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm not a big guy (I weigh less than 200 lbs and I'm under 6 ft tall), but I do have a round head. I was surprised when my head actually fit comfortably into a Shoei Neotech II 2XL. I can't imagine how a really big guy with a round head could ever find a helmet that will fit comfortably. ... I force myself to wear the modular, full face helmet. I miss the comfort and enjoyment of a half helmet.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hey, PR. You will be surprised how quickly you can adjust. The last time I put on a 3/4 , I couldn't believe how weird it felt.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Life is all about choices...and compromises.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I love my Arai helmet. Not full-face, but it is the best helmet I ever have worn. I think you will like your choice.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'm not a big guy (I weigh less than 200 lbs and I'm under 6 ft tall), but I do have a round head. I was surprised when my head actually fit comfortably into a Shoei Neotech II 2XL. I can't imagine how a really big guy with a round head could ever find a helmet that will fit comfortably. ... I force myself to wear the modular, full face helmet. I miss the comfort and enjoyment of a half helmet.

HJC makes modulars up to 5X.....not sure how they would work with a round head, but they are the only company I'm aware of that makes much of anything bigger than a 3X.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I used to use only Arai full face because it was the only brand that was big enough.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am on my third Arai full face. Wear a Signet X which is designed for an “long oval” head. The ONLY helmet I ever found that fit comfortably for my head shape. Arai is pricey, but was worth every penny for me as nothing can ruin a ride like an uncomfortable helmet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took my first ride today with a new helmet; a full face helmet, the first of its kind I could even tolerate to keep on my head for more than just a few seconds. OK, I have a big head, and high cheek bones. Years ago, 2003 or so, I had a Nolan flip face I could wear, but it was so blasted noisy and susceptible to wind baffling that I gave it up. ¾ and ½ helmets have been the mainstay all this time. A year or so ago a got a full helmet in XXL and it was soooo small, but it fit my daughter. Recently, a venerable member here mentioned his success with Arai XD, so I researched it and saw that it had features that offered some promise for success. I took the plunge and ordered a white XD4. This model allows the user to adjust the cheek/chin pads by removing layers of the liner, which I had to do. The good: It was quiet. It fit my head well. The face shield is remarkably good, in fact looking through it I could not tell I was looking through it. I had to reach up and touch it to be sure; with it clamped down, or even opened a bit. The low sun was out of my eyes thanks to the “peak” or what I call a “bill”. Good venting that is fully adjustable from strong air flow to off. The not so good: It is not easy to put on, at least compared to a ½, ¾, or even flip face. I had to put my ear buds in, take my glasses off, stretch the lower helmet and squeeze into it, then carefully force my eyeglasses back in. It’s harder to fasten, harder to unfasten. But, I guess those “bads” are just what it is to have a full helmet that fits snugly. Overall, I like it. Nice to have the protection and added eye shield. Thank you, Cycledude!

prs
Does this accurately describe the usefulness of your new helmet ? :)

"Somewhere between functional and teats on a bore hog.

prs "

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It shades that.

prs

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a full face shoei, r 1200, large. Easy on and off, snug fit, Siena 20evo fits fine. I don’t like the flip jaw due to I want the mic close to the mouth, my girlfriend has a flip jaw and the mic is too far away to use vox as she cannot us the boom mic

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I have a full face shoei, r 1200, large. Easy on and off, snug fit, Siena 20evo fits fine. I don’t like the flip jaw due to I want the mic close to the mouth, my girlfriend has a flip jaw and the mic is too far away to use vox as she cannot us the boom mic
With our Neotec's we have boom mics -- so we can still use it if the chin bar is up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts