Registered
8,269 Posts
Was your bike running? I couldn't hear it...................LOL

Nice set up (y)

Ronnie
11/21/21

·
Premium Member
Honda DCT Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red!
1,267 Posts
Now that you got everything good to go when will it be available to rent?🤣

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Nice setup I would recommend a wheel chock. I painted a stripe on the floor down the middle for the trailer to help get the bike lined up in the trailer.
I have the condor chock in my trailer. I use a 3 foot fiberglass pole attached to the chock with magnets. Perfect for aligning the bike with the chock. Center the pole in the windshield.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Freddy, add some anti slip tape to the floor and ramp. Three strips 4"-6" wide. One for the tires and one on each side of where the bike wide enough for your feet.
Good idea. I used some anti skid paint on mine. Did the entire ramp, two coats.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had a trailer with similar clearance lights on the fenders as in your video. My lights were fastened with 1" long self drilling/tapping screws that protruded through the inside of the fender and with my bike loaded the screws cut grooves in the tires when the suspension compressed over bumps. Never had a flat tire but sure was a poor build practice. I replaced those screws with pan head bolts up from the bottom and self locking nuts on top.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Hello, Thanks for the great video. I'm new to Gold wings but not motorcycles. Some of the worst wrecks I've ever seen were loading bikes in trucks or trailers by riding them on or off. So, my question to the group is a Goldwing different ? Why would you not walk it up? Thanks for your input.
The Goldwing is a beast. Trying to push it up a ramp would difficult even with two people. You're talking about an 800lb bike.
No way I would even try to ride one into a pickup. A trailer sits low to the ground and you can raise the front of the trailer to lessen the angle of the ramp. I can ride mine into my toy hauler (with an extended ramp) with no problem. Backing it out, I put the bike in gear, not running, and use the clutch for braking. No chance of the front wheel sliding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Goldwing is a beast. Trying to push it up a ramp would difficult even with two people. You're talking about an 800lb bike.
No way I would even try to ride one into a pickup. A trailer sits low to the ground and you can raise the front of the trailer to lessen the angle of the ramp. I can ride mine into my toy hauler (with an extended ramp) with no problem. Backing it out, I put the bike in gear, not running, and use the clutch for braking. No chance of the front wheel sliding.
Thanks, I too think she is a beast. There is no way I could push her up any type of ramp without the engine running. I'm thinking, start the bike, with it in gear, feather the clutch, walk the bike up the trailer ramp, 2 fingers on the front brake incase.
My point being riding a "beast" into an enclosed trailer requires guessing the speed/momentum to clear the top of the ramp. Not enough momentum and the bike doesn't crest the top of the ramp, stalls or possibly rolls or slides back down the ramp until the back wheel is off the ramp and you are sitting in that spot were your legs are to short. Bad things happen. Or, to much momentum and you can't stop in time and slam into the front wheel stop/chock or miss it and you end up wadded-up in the front of the trailer. Sounds sketchy.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Thanks, I too think she is a beast. There is no way I could push her up any type of ramp without the engine running. I'm thinking, start the bike, with it in gear, feather the clutch, walk the bike up the trailer ramp, 2 fingers on the front brake incase.
My point being riding a "beast" into an enclosed trailer requires guessing the speed/momentum to clear the top of the ramp. Not enough momentum and the bike doesn't crest the top of the ramp, stalls or possibly rolls or slides back down the ramp until the back wheel is off the ramp and you are sitting in that spot were your legs are to short. Bad things happen. Or, to much momentum and you can't stop in time and slam into the front wheel stop/chock or miss it and you end up wadded-up in the front of the trailer. Sounds sketchy.
Reaching across the big bike and trying to feather the clutch could be a problem, one slip of your hand and the bike will launch itself into the trailer and you will lose it.. You'll have a lot of the weight leaning toward you. Having the bike go bike straight up the ramp is another. As far as the problem with not reaching the ground, raise the front of the trailer. It will lessen the angle of the ramp.
I know when I first got my toy hauler I was hesitant about the angle of the ramp. The back of the trailer is about 22 inches off the ground. I made a ramp extension to lessen the angle. Backing the bike out, I do NOT use the front brake (it will have a tendency to slide). Put it in gear without the engine running and feather the clutch.
You're talking about a cargo trailer. I doubt if the rear of the trailer is more that 12 inches off the ground.
You have to get over the fear of losing the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reaching across the big bike and trying to feather the clutch could be a problem, one slip of your hand and the bike will launch itself into the trailer and you will lose it.. You'll have a lot of the weight leaning toward you. Having the bike go bike straight up the ramp is another. As far as the problem with not reaching the ground, raise the front of the trailer. It will lessen the angle of the ramp.
I know when I first got my toy hauler I was hesitant about the angle of the ramp. The back of the trailer is about 22 inches off the ground. I made a ramp extension to lessen the angle. Backing the bike out, I do NOT use the front brake (it will have a tendency to slide). Put it in gear without the engine running and feather the clutch.
You're talking about a cargo trailer. I doubt if the rear of the trailer is more that 12 inches off the ground.
You have to get over the fear of losing the bike.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
In your earlier post you mentioned an extended ramp. Is that something you made, or had installed? And do you have pics.?
I did make it. I used an aluminum ladder type ramp (5 feet long, 40 inches wide), and covered it with 1/2 inch plywood. Added supports to the original ramp to lessen the loading angle. Total ramp length is 10 feet, the rise is 22 inches.
The angle of the ramp is about 10 degrees. Sorry, no pictures.
A lot depends on how low the rear of your trailer is. Most cargo trailers are less than 12 inches high at the rear and the ramps are probably 6 feet long.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're right! The trailer has a long ramp and creates a low angle. Plus you can keep both feet on the ground for most of the way. I took, wouldn't try that with a single ramp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts