GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sept. 13 the wife and I leave on our 50th Anniversary trip from sth. MS headed to ME and back. We will be in your state on Sept 15 & 16 and need some information.

This is our travel schedule:
Enter WV from Kingsport TN to Welch WV
to Sarah Ann
Logan and bunk down in Beckley

Sept 16
Beckley to
Glen Jean
Cathedral Falls
Ansted
Carrolton Covered Bridge
Philippi Covered Bridge
Simpson Covered Bridge
Barrackville Covered Bridge
Dents Run Cov. Bridge
and bunk down in Morgantown

Any suggestions, confirmations, road conditions, motels, restaurants, weather expectations, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing your beautiful state.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Do you prefer the back roads or to go easy with that trailer and such? I kinda think you are looking for the crooked stuff given that unusual route from Kingsport to Beckley.

prs

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Just a couple of locations you might want to include: Blackwater Falls State Park near Thomas, WV(the falls are worth the ride), Spruce Knob is the highest point in WV and is accessible by a good paved road this has great views, and just north of here is Senaca Rocks which is featurered in a lot of WV literature.

WV has a lot more to see but it all takes time. Beware of deer and other game and when on two lane roads beaware that these roads are travelled by trucks especially dumptrucks that cross double yellow lines and loose some of their load. They also upset the gravel along the edge of the road.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Your second day is going to be a bit long but doable. rt 60 west off of rt 19 is a slow go. Great road though. Gaully Bridge is just a few minutes west. No covered bridge but the prettiest spot on the Kanawa. You should be passing by River Gorge Bridge. Worth a half hour to ride down under it. From Phillippi just stay on rt 119. It goes faster as you get closer to Morgantown. I was there the day the Phillippe bridge burned. I also worked on replacing the deck. Beautiful bridge after they repaired it. I guess your heading to western Pa. to tour the bridges here too. We got a bunch and several are still open to traffic. I've pulled a trailer all over WV and as long as your not road racing you'll be fine. Watch for gravel on the insides of curves and watch for coal trucks on rt 60, those boys fly. I usually packed a lunch so don't know much about food but don't order biscuits and gravy north of Beckly. Argh!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back roads

Yes, I have omitted all interstates. Prefer the back roads but realize that some of them are not very bike friendly. Just looking at a map I certainly cannot tell that. So please look at our route and tell me what type of terrain and roads they would be.

Yes we will have a trailer also.

Do you prefer the back roads or to go easy with that trailer and such? I kinda think you are looking for the crooked stuff given that unusual route from Kingsport to Beckley.

prs

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Second day

Your second day is going to be a bit long but doable. rt 60 west off of rt 19 is a slow go. Great road though. Gaully Bridge is just a few minutes west. No covered bridge but the prettiest spot on the Kanawa. You should be passing by River Gorge Bridge. Worth a half hour to ride down under it. From Phillippi just stay on rt 119. It goes faster as you get closer to Morgantown. I was there the day the Phillippe bridge burned. I also worked on replacing the deck. Beautiful bridge after they repaired it. I guess your heading to western Pa. to tour the bridges here too. We got a bunch and several are still open to traffic. I've pulled a trailer all over WV and as long as your not road racing you'll be fine. Watch for gravel on the insides of curves and watch for coal trucks on rt 60, those boys fly. I usually packed a lunch so don't know much about food but don't order biscuits and gravy north of Beckly. Argh!
Thanks Ponton for your help. Yes, we are in for some long days but no problem. Have to cover the road but want to see things along the way also. Is slow go due to roads or traffic? Definitely want to go under the bridge and take pics. I assume there will be sufficient signage.

My next day schedule is from Morgantown to Cumberland, Harrisburg, Hershey World into Pottsville. I need some suggestions concerning this route also.

I could run a different route if there is more to see. I know nothing about this part of the country so am planning blind. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Slow due to the curves. Medium twisty. Not fast like rt 19. Morgantown to Hershey is one of my regular runs. Only one way to Cumberland and that's I68. Scenic and quiet. Continue on to Hagerstown Md and then get off on exit 35 on I70, Mapletown rd. I had to look that one up. Quick way around Hagestown. That runs up to rt 77 and then east through Cactoctin State Park. That is where Camp David is. You can't see it of course but it is incredibly beautiful in that park. Then rt 15 north to Gettysburg. You can't go to eastern Pa without Gettysburg. Then rt 30 east and work you way up to Hershy. I think around 4-5 hours moving time. You can save maybe an hour and take rt 220 north out of Cumberland to Bedford and then the boring turnpike to Harrisburg. Scenic but not recommended.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
If you do check out River Gorge bridge stop on the north side at the rest area. They have an airconditioned theater with a 20 minute film of the ironworkers buiding the bridge. I just started as an apprentice when my buddies were working there. I still thank God I missed that job. I often stop in there and still marvel over the work that was done, but usually I just take a nap. So if you can't appreciate ironworkers you can at least enjoy a cool dark room where you can close your eyes. Ha

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
River Gorge Bridge

If you do check out River Gorge bridge stop on the north side at the rest area. They have an airconditioned theater with a 20 minute film of the ironworkers buiding the bridge. I just started as an apprentice when my buddies were working there. I still thank God I missed that job. I often stop in there and still marvel over the work that was done, but usually I just take a nap. So if you can't appreciate ironworkers you can at least enjoy a cool dark room where you can close your eyes. Ha
So is the rest area/theater after I go to the bottom to view the river and then come back up to cross the bridge or is there an area to view from the bottom on the same side as the rest area/theater?

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
The ride under the is very cool with many switch backs as you zigzag your way down to the bottom. The road is one-way for the most part and you will cross the New River at the bottom. Then you will zagzig (reverse of zigzag) to go back up the other side. If you are hungry, cross the four lane Rt19 and go to Dirty Ernie's Rib Pit.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
your killing me!!

my old home town fayetteville WV, boy does it snow in them there parts!! at rest area, keep on going down that road and to the right, its one way, eventually!! there are no signs, for this route, its a nice little secret, the area and the road couldnt handle but a little traffic. good white watering and you can jump off the bridge on bridge day, first sunday in october (i think). and yea get ya a dirty ernies t shirt. enjoy. the area from gauley bridge to 19 is about my favorite ride anywhere, dont forget to stop at Hawks Nest state park, one of the prettiest views in the state.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i know it well

you didnt stop at the 'aint ya et yet!' at chimney corner if you had went straight i used to live about 5 miles from there, i know each and every turn, have had all my cars, motorcycles and girlfriends around them turns, thanks you make my day!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Murgie. I believe you had a bird strike at 4:00minutes. As I was getting into your ride, the bird made me drop my iPad . Shell shocked nerves.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Sorry olbuddy. Hawk was pretty hungry when I came by and interrupted his road kill dinner.

About 5 years ago, a rider on a VTX hit a black bear not far from that spot. Broke the riders hands and folded the handle bars in but the ol boy didn't go done. Bear did, and never got back up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Golddigger: My policy for riding( in states with deer population) is I DO NOT ride AFTER DARK. If I do, it will be on interstate with caution. If on secondary roads , I use all the lights and go slow. This is only a caution at dusk and night driving.
You really need more time in West Virginia to appreciate not only the magistic beauty, but also to slide thru the abundance of twisties the state offers . All the Appalachian's and foothills has a lot to offer.
Your OlBuddy

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Morgantown

Thanks for the warning OlBuddy. I hope we will not be riding at dusk.

Itsawgood, is there better route to take than the one going to Morgantown? Wanted to hit some covered bridges for the wife and didn't see any promoted in another area. Seemed that these were all close together.

Still appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Covered Bridges

Thanks for the tip OlBuddy. That is the type of info. I am looking for.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, except for coming from an alternate direction, I rode this route with my brother last fall. There wasn't really a bad part of the entire ride, except for maybe the first hour of Interstate to get to Skyline Drive.

We came back via this route for something mostly a little different.

Route 39 from Summersville to Belva is good - but beware the trucks.
Heck, Route 39 from Summersville up through Richwood is great, too - especially if you can keep on going.
Route 16 pretty much anywhere in the state is a rider's wet dream.
Route 60 from Gauley Bridge through Hico is a blast, too.

My only word of caution since you're heading through the heart of it: Fayette County, WV - they are very fond of their radar. Know your speed limit and know your speed.

Depending on where you're going, if you do head towards Seneca Rocks, you'll probably get to see
and if you're lucky, Seneca Rocks themselves like so:

Enjoy WV. :doorag:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts