GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Radar

Thanks for the warning since my wrist usually twists pretty tight.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ride under the bridge

Murgie, what is the road like going to the bottom, under the bridge. Are you pics of that road? I have heard tales about how bad the surface is, true or not?

The ride under the is very cool with many switch backs as you zigzag your way down to the bottom. The road is one-way for the most part and you will cross the New River at the bottom. Then you will zagzig (reverse of zigzag) to go back up the other side. If you are hungry, cross the four lane Rt19 and go to Dirty Ernie's Rib Pit.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Alternate route in WV

Wildwolfe, I notice that you are from WV so the question is, where would you recommend making a base and riding out of it each day for a week? The wife really would like to do that rather than driving and stopping each day.

Seems WV would have enough to drive and see if we did that, right?

Well, except for coming from an alternate direction, I rode this route with my brother last fall. There wasn't really a bad part of the entire ride, except for maybe the first hour of Interstate to get to Skyline Drive.

We came back via this route for something mostly a little different.

Route 39 from Summersville to Belva is good - but beware the trucks.
Heck, Route 39 from Summersville up through Richwood is great, too - especially if you can keep on going.
Route 16 pretty much anywhere in the state is a rider's wet dream.
Route 60 from Gauley Bridge through Hico is a blast, too.

My only word of caution since you're heading through the heart of it: Fayette County, WV - they are very fond of their radar. Know your speed limit and know your speed.

Depending on where you're going, if you do head towards Seneca Rocks, you'll probably get to see
and if you're lucky, Seneca Rocks themselves like so:

Enjoy WV. :doorag:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Wildwolfe, I notice that you are from WV so the question is, where would you recommend making a base and riding out of it each day for a week? The wife really would like to do that rather than driving and stopping each day.

Seems WV would have enough to drive and see if we did that, right?
Murgie and I ride the WV mountains a lot and we always thought it would be good to have Franklin, WV as a base camp. There is definitely a lot of mountain riding in the area. The hotel we have discussed is the :

Hubbard Inn
309 main street
Franklin
(304) 902-9007

Good luck.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts