GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as an owner of a HD Crossbones springer, which I love, I decided it was time to add a full on touring motorcycle to the line up. I actually rented a 2008 Goldwing last summer, which was equipped with navigation. I loved the Wing, but hated the navigation unit. I spent three days touring SE Missouri and wound up in Memphis, TN before heading back to Springfield, MO to return the Goldwing. All told, I put 1000 miles on it in three days. After many travels to different dealers, I was able to check out the new navigation set up on the 2012+ G oldwing, which was much, much, better. This spring, I began earnestly considering what motorcycle I would add. Harley Davidson and the 2014 Project Rushmore Ultra Limited, and the 2012 Honda Goldwing were the two contenders in the group for me to choose between. Having rented the Goldwing, all I had to do was try out the 2014 Ultra Limited. After looking at several and taking short test rides on the limited, I determined that if the infotainment system was what would sell the motorcycle the HD would have won hands down. However, the Goldwing won out, and I located a left over 2012 level 3 in Candy Red and Silver in Muskogee, OK, 350 miles from where I live. I called the dealer to make sure it was still there, and went and looked at it the weekend before last. A very nicely discounted price was negotiated to seal the deal. This past Saturday, me and my girlfriend drove back to pick up my new Goldwing, which I rode home in mid 50 degree weather. I can't say anything bad about the New HD motorcycles, but when it comes down to being the "Ultimate Tourer" the Goldwing still holds the edge in my mind. I have only been able to rack up 500 miles thus far, but if the Temp is above 50 I'm on it riding rather than in the Jeep driving. I love it, and a 3000+ mile trip to the east coast is in the works for the first week in June. Look out North Carolina, we are coming your way.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
As the owner, and a pleased owner of a couple of Harley's and a Red Goldwing, as well as a Jeep . . . I must say that good judgement and excellent taste abounds in this world! Congratulations, I believe that you will feel better and better as time progresses, both about your purchase of the Goldwing as well as your decision to keep your Harley! Enjoy them all!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Does your 2012 Level 3 look as pretty as mine? Somehow, I think it probably does. :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
:agree: Welcome to the madness! I'm sure you will be riding that bike a fair bit from now on. Wait till you go out to pass a vehicle and don't have to shift down....just roll on the throttle.:thumbup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Welcome, and I to purchased a left over '12 in Aug 13. Also have the red and silver, very pretty colors. The ride and suspension upgrades for this year are a far better ride than the 04 I used for many enjoyable miles. I'll be in your part of the woods next month doing the Missouri Flower Sniffing Tour. Maybe we'll run into you on the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bluehighways, if money were no object we would have lots more toys in the garage, and a 2014 Ultra Limited would be sitting next to the wing. I have a toy addiction!!!! Cruisecontrol, I suppose you're right we all think our motorcycle is the prettiest in the bunch. Mayor Hal, I don't mind shifting down to pass. I would rather have one more gear that was 20% taller than the overdrive it has now, but you are right just roll and go. Alawinger, if your up in my neck of the woods it is one of three things your sniffing, cow crap, hog crap, or herbicides. LOL

·
Registered
197 Posts
Alawinger, if your up in my neck of the woods it is one of three things your sniffing, cow crap, hog crap, or herbicides. LOL
Maybe I need to rethink the trip. Still looking forward to a different area. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Welcome from the Pacific Northwest, nothing like a Wing for riding comfort, when not riding the Wing I'm also driving the Jeep.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Congrats, you'll love it!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Owner

WELCOME to the forum, and congrats on your new ride. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
792 Posts
Welcome from another Harley owner. The Wing is a great ride no doubt, they are both great machines in their own ways.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Have fun learning how to operate the electronics.

Took me a little while to get up to speed after a 5 month winter sleep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am getting used to the Wing. I have managed to work my way through the electronics and the Navigation system, though it can be a bit daunting at times. I am working on finding my sweet spot for the rear suspension setting. I have the dreaded, slight pull to the right when you let go of the handle bar; I have found the post to correct the problem. My HD Crossbones has the same pull, but doesn't seem to affect front tire wear. I am thinking of installing a rear hitch and placing a small bag on the back for the trip to NC this summer. As well, I have already ordered 400 dollars worth of other accessories to prepare the motorcycle for the long haul. This is going to be an adventure!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well, as an owner of a HD Crossbones springer, which I love, I decided it was time to add a full on touring motorcycle to the line up. I actually rented a 2008 Goldwing last summer, which was equipped with navigation. I loved the Wing, but hated the navigation unit. I spent three days touring SE Missouri and wound up in Memphis, TN before heading back to Springfield, MO to return the Goldwing. All told, I put 1000 miles on it in three days. After many travels to different dealers, I was able to check out the new navigation set up on the 2012+ G oldwing, which was much, much, better. This spring, I began earnestly considering what motorcycle I would add. Harley Davidson and the 2014 Project Rushmore Ultra Limited, and the 2012 Honda Goldwing were the two contenders in the group for me to choose between. Having rented the Goldwing, all I had to do was try out the 2014 Ultra Limited. After looking at several and taking short test rides on the limited, I determined that if the infotainment system was what would sell the motorcycle the HD would have won hands down. However, the Goldwing won out, and I located a left over 2012 level 3 in Candy Red and Silver in Muskogee, OK, 350 miles from where I live. I called the dealer to make sure it was still there, and went and looked at it the weekend before last. A very nicely discounted price was negotiated to seal the deal. This past Saturday, me and my girlfriend drove back to pick up my new Goldwing, which I rode home in mid 50 degree weather. I can't say anything bad about the New HD motorcycles, but when it comes down to being the "Ultimate Tourer" the Goldwing still holds the edge in my mind. I have only been able to rack up 500 miles thus far, but if the Temp is above 50 I'm on it riding rather than in the Jeep driving. I love it, and a 3000+ mile trip to the east coast is in the works for the first week in June. Look out North Carolina, we are coming your way.
Can you share what you paid, minus title??

·
Registered
376 Posts
Welcome, Congrats! and enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts