GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I will be on our 50th anniversary trip beginning in Sept, 2013. On Sept. 18 we will be traveling from Pottsville PA to Bennington VT and would like to know the best route.

Google shows me three variances: 1) NY 209 N; 2) NY 10 N or 3) NY 55 E

Which is the most scenic and best roads? Looks like one of the goes through the Catskills.

We have 14 days to Maine and back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Once you hit the Jersey state line, just follow the Delaware River on the Pa side Hwy 32 and 611. Make your way up to Rt 6 and onto 209 in Pa. Cross over to Ny and get on Hwy 55 - this might be one of the best roads I've ridden in the area. Takes you through the lower portion of the Catskills toward the Hudson river. I call this the river to river tour - enjoy.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You have 14 days from Pottsville/Maine and back or 14 days from Petal-Maine and back??

If you've got 14 days in the NE.............YOU need to ride the Adirondack park!

If you're going to Bennington, you need to hit Hogback Mountain.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
14 days

We have 14 days for full trip. Thanks for the suggestions, this is what I am looking for. Also, what about road conditions and typical weather in mid Sept?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hogback Mtn

We are to go up Equinox Mtn. is Hogback Mtn a better choice or is it in same direction?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I highly recommend Rte 30N

My wife and I rode through that area last fall. Rte 10 was great, but Rte 30 runs along the Pepacton Reservoir and the views were spectacular.

These pics were taken in October but September is a nicer month to tour the Catskills. Click on the link below to view some of our Facebook photos while on the trip.

I'm having a little problem uploading directly to the forum.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3696012243685.242926.1376727539&type=1&l=c54d025c63

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Do a stop over in Lake George NY if you have never been. Then take the ferry at ft ticonderoga (pardon spelling) across Lake Champlain. 5 minute ride for $3 and it docks in VT. VT is beautiful riding. Head to Maine from there. When in Maine and heading south on rt 1 be sure to follow route 9. That takes you next to the ocean in many places.

·
Registered
129 Posts
+1

Do a stop over in Lake George NY if you have never been. Then take the ferry at ft ticonderoga (pardon spelling) across Lake Champlain. 5 minute ride for $3 and it docks in VT. VT is beautiful riding. Head to Maine from there. When in Maine and heading south on rt 1 be sure to follow route 9. That takes you next to the ocean in many places.
Great suggestion by jerrieric! The roads in the middle of VT and NH are great. After the ferry you can go over to Rt 7 then pick up Rte 17 in New Haven Jct and cross to Rt 100. RT 17 is one road you will remember for years. You could also stop in at Ben & Jerry's in Woodbury and take the Kancamagus Highway on the same day. It will be about a 250 mile day that way to Portland. ME.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mid Sept. weather?

Thanks guys, this is what I am looking for. Keep the suggestions coming.

BTW, what will the weather be like mid Sept,?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I second brenniac's roads of choice. Did it last september and had nice weather the hole trip. Just a year earlier they hade all the flooding and closed the roads. So weather wise it will be anyones guess at this time of year, but normally its nice in september for riding. The Killington classic is that time of year in Vermont. Stopped by last year and most likely will not go back unless we are in the area doing the event. Only had a couple of venders there and not really any thing else going on. It may get bigger in time, but I think most of the venders are headed out west at this time of year.

·
Registered
385 Posts
September weather is still nice but the days are beginning to get shorter. Shirtsleeve days but three season jacket early and late; bring your electric jacket liner if you ride with the sun down. Some showers that time of year but it is a pretty time to travel, late in the month the leaves will start to have color in them.
Hogback Mountain is on Rt9 in Vermont. Take NY Rt 7 east out of Troy, NY and the same road is Rt 9 in VT. Hogback is a few miles before Bennington. Actually I would say you should hit Rt 2 across northern Mass as well, that is known as the Mohawk trail and has one nice hairpin and a huge overlook.
Back to NY state. I live not that far from the PA, NJ, NY border. Getting on Rt 209 headed north is a nice county type of road that will have you riding up the big valleys typical of this area. Nice farmland, small towns and ciites along the way up to Kingston. Then you should head west for a ways and catch the true Catskill experience. You can hit Woodstock; a really cool town work an afternoon of stolling and even eating outdoors at a couple of restaurants. North by West from there through Margaretteville, Walton to Emmons, NY. There you have to stop for BBQ chicken at Brooks House of BBQ. Bulldog's favorite spot in the state I bet.
Work you way through Cooperstown, then east on Rt20 towards Albany. Set you mapquest to get you to Troy, head east on Rt 7 as above.
You will have a great time riding through this section of NY. I've been doing it for over thirty years and it never gets old. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
In Maine we really value nights we can ride in T-shirts. Usaually only a couple nights if we are lucky. September means it gets cold at night so I would bring fall riding gear if you plan on riding after sunset. During the day you will probably ride with a leather jacket unless global warming continues.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NY rides

Thanks guys, this is what I am looking for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts