GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
3,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2006 Wing several months ago but hadn’t had the opportunity to put in a long day in the saddle. When I was younger I rode many 600+ mile days just because I had to be somewhere else in a hurry, and I thought nothing about it. I’ve wondered how my 60 year old body would feel after a long ride on the new Wing.

I got my opportunity this weekend. I carried a few Christmas gifts from my home in Nederland, Texas to my youngest daughter and newest grandson in Trussville, Alabama. Weather forecast was nice, with low temperatures in the high 50’s, so I didn’t need to pack any real cold weather gear.

The distance from driveway to driveway was 634 miles, for a total trip distance of 1268 miles. My wife was telling me to take my truck, for I’m way too old to ride my bike that far. At that point not even a hurricane could have prevented me from riding the bike.

I filled the tank with gas and left home Friday at 8:30 AM with a pretty heavy fog that lasted almost to Baton Rouge, La. I stayed on interstates the entire trip, taking I-10 to I-12 to I-59 to 1-20/I59, to finally I-59 to Trussville. My point is, it was all interstate and I pretty well stayed with the high end of the traffic flow. I gassed up twice along the way, and finally filled up upon arrival at a station a few blocks from daughter’s house 634 miles and 9 ½ hours later. I felt surprisingly good. Not ready to go dancing, but good.

I left the next day, Saturday, at 11:30 AM and retraced my route home. Nice weather all the way. I arrived home at 9:00 PM, for a trip time of again 9 ½ hours. Again, I felt pretty good for an old man.

My total distance was 1268 miles, using 31.18 gallons of fuel for an average of 40.66 MPG. I tried to keep my indicated speed between 75 and 80 mph, so the tach was reading 3200 to 3400 rpm. There were a few periods of heavy traffic and/or Bear patrols that slowed the traffic to 65 or so, but at least 90% of the time was about 3200 rpm. I was surprised at the fuel economy, for my Wing doesn’t get but about 37 mpg on my normal local jaunts. It would be interesting to put several consecutive tanks together at 60 mph, but I’ll have to stay off the interstate to do so.

Travel time was 19 hours for 1268 miles, for an average of 66.7 mph. Granted, I did exceed the speed limit, but given the Wings’ error, I didn’t exceed it much. I was passed about as often as I passed. I stopped only for gas, but at each stop I’d use the bathroom and get a candy bar. Most importantly, I’d spend a couple of minutes stretching and bending. I felt this really helps me stay in the saddle longer.

The Wing really, really, impressed me. They’ve come a long way since my old GL1000. The Iron Butts among you might consider this ride a breakfast jaunt, but it was my first “long ride” in 25 years. Felt good to be back in the saddle again.

Glen

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
When I went to the HOOT in 05 it was my first long trip on my GL ( I had made a trip from Philly to Ft Lauderdale in 94 on my 250 - but that is a different story 8) ) and I didn't know how comfortable the Wing could be!

I had to stop outside of Knoxville for the night because my reservations were for the NEXT DAY! I thought I would do 300 +/- and be ready for hitting a nice shower and a warm bed - WRONG! ! ! So this year I made the reservation for Monday and pulled in while the sun was still up - a little over 11 hours since I take half hour breaks every 2 hours of travel to stretch and just enjoy the surroundings.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
sounds like a great trip !

the 1500 and 1800 wings are very impressive machines

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Nice report Glock. Goes to show you, you're never too old to..............

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Good for you on your trip.

I am 59 years old and believe me I can't do what I use to do when it comes to riding my bike. The old body has taken its toll. If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of it. LOL

I now have arthritis in both knees and just walking is a chore. Arthritis in my left hip and it is very painful to sit for very long. My long distance trip are over, I am afraid. Longest trip now is 4 - 5 hours. I still enjoy riding but it does have its limits.

For all you young guys....make your long trips while you are still young! Because when you go over 55 it is downhill from there. LOL

Ride Safe and ride long...if you can

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I-10 in Louisiana stinks. Take the back roads.....

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I will be 63 in a couple months, I am one of the younger of the riders in the groups I ride with. They do many long rides, and I try to get in a few myself. Last long one was 1200+ miles in two days with my wife on the back. Great trip and Who'd a thunk you could go that far in comfort on a motorcycle. :D

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
trying to edit my last post but it just kept adding new posts instead ...

sorry about that,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I ripped up my left knee when I was a kid ...
now, before a long ride I take two ibuprofen and no pain, works great.

yesterday here in Florida was SUPER (mid seventies).

took off southbound about 2pm for an easy 30 mile trip with my SO for little late lunch ...
after lunch got to exploring all the back roads in Marion and Sumter Counties.
headed back toward the house (near Ocala) about 6 pm and as we got near to home I told my wife "this day is just too darned pretty and I'm sorry we're heading home"
... she said she was having a great time too (trying out new Utopia backrest for me and Transformer pegs for her) so "why not head north to Gainesville?"
... my response was instantly "cool, done deal".

took the back roads up to Gainesville and got there about 7pm
... only bad spot was through "Pains Prairie" (nearly dry lake bed)
... we got CREAMED with little bugs on the windshield after not hardly picking up ONE bug all day.

went to the mall in Gainesville and enjoyed all the decorations
...(parking lot was the most dangerous time of the ride)
... got her a new riding vest and two VERY soft dishtowels to wipe the bugs off the wing (used plenty of water and they all came off) ...

headed back home about 9pm via the interstate this time
... that was neat too ... got home about 10:15 pm.
we BOTH agreed this was WAY better than sitting' home bitchin' about the hi cost of cable even though there is never anything on!
:)

oh, the reason we got such a late start in the afternoon was I had gotten up at 5AM and had the second half of my MSF practical test from 8-12 in the morning.

all in all about 14 hours riding and 325 miles on the bike, most of it riding two up ...

I'll be 60 next birthday but the wing make me feel 30 again
:) :) ...

life IS good ...
Dennis

·
Registered
255 Posts
Really nice trip and a Great weekend for it :D Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
wingman57 said:
For all you young guys....make your long trips while you are still young! Because when you go over 55 it is downhill from there. LOL

Ride Safe and ride long...if you can
So, I've got four good years left... that's nice to know. :roll:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am 60 and i ride 500 mi. a couple times a year. This will be the first time on the wing all the rest have been on an 1100 shadow which did not mind to much. It got a little rough at the 450 mark but for the most part i thought that the 1100 did a fine job. I put 30,000 on that bike before i traded it in on the wing, best move i have made concerning bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts