GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After our first trip with a Kuhmo,I was pleased with the way it handled, but the mileage is bad, after 5500 miles the tire is 3/4 wore out. We were pulling a trailer, do you think that is why the mileage is so bad? Was keeping the pressure at 34 lbs.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
After our first trip with a Kuhmo,I was pleased with the way it handled, but the mileage is bad, after 5500 miles the tire is 3/4 wore out. We were pulling a trailer, do you think that is why the mileage is so bad? Was keeping the pressure at 34 lbs.
That is some pretty low mileage. 75% worn out indicates that you have already used 7.5/32th of the 10/32th of tread that comes on a new Kumho. Essentially, in another 0.5/32th you will be into the wear bars. I can waste other brands of CTs in 5500 miles, but have yet to do that with a Kumho.

Your tire is certainly extraordinary.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
The heat in the south is my thinking and yes I suppose trailer did not help. But holy cow thats horrible milgae . My 2 kumhos both got the best milage out of the 5 brands I have tried to date . Your are talking Kumho run flat right ?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
You might want to verify your own statement. Go to an auto parts store and buy a tire tread depth gauge and measure in five different spots around the tire the tread depth.

As TravelinLite said, the tire started with 10/32. 3/32 is the tread wear indicator bar on the tread.

I have the same tire and have over 8000 miles on it now, 2700 of it pulling a trailer. I just measured it and have a tad over 6/32 left. Hmmm... That projects to 14,000 miles. That's surprising. I barely see any wear.

Anyway... Get a depth gauge and check your tread.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kuhmo

Yes it is a run flat, I am a machinist, so I took my depth gage and measured the new and old tire. I need to back up it is probably 2/3 gone not 3/4.New tire : .325 to .360 old tire .09 to .100 tread left. I just put a new one on because we are leaving on Mon. for our east coast fall foliage trip so I did not want to worry about changing tire on trip. We are riding 2 up with loaded trailer.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Was it wore evenly at 34psi, or was the center wore more?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tire

The center wore more, so I will lower the pressure and try again. I also wore out both new tires on the trailer, they were the new Bushtec tires.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
The center wore more, so I will lower the pressure and try again. I also wore out both new tires on the trailer, they were the new Bushtec tires.
:thumbup: on lowering pressure and bushtec tires wore ! Interesting

1 - 9 of 9 Posts