GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm out on my first multi-day trip on the new bike and intentionally left the Garmin 376 at home, just to see if I could survive with the 09 GPS alone.

I do like the fact that it can read out street names to me, this is something my 376c can't do. However, I am pretty frustrated already with the limited routing abilities, as well as the search for a Hotel functions. I have already modified it so I can use the buttons while I am moving, but even with that, it is still pretty impossible to use while moving, not to mention very dangerous, since you have to turn on the cruise control and take your hands off the throttle and look down. Personally, I would not advise it. I tried to make a route while moving on a county road with no traffic, and still ended up having to pull over to do it.

What I really miss is the ability to make a route on the PC and then load it into the GPS. I can't believe Honda left this feature out.

My other issue, is that I am accustomed to using the 376c to find a hotel by scrolling the cursor over the city I want to stop in and then hit the FIND button. This finds points of interest that are located close to wherever the cursor is positioned. You can't do this with the Honda GPS. When you use the FIND function, it only wants to find points of interest that are close to your current location. If you want to search somewhere else, you have to type in the name of the city and then GO FISH through all 50 states of info that have similar city names to find the one you want. It's pretty cumbersome and definetly not something you could do while going down the road, like I can on the 376c.

I'm gonna give it a couple more days on the road of testing, but I suspect that when I get home, I am going to be forced to mount the 376c to the bike. I just don't see myself being able to take a 3 week trip accross the country with the limited abilities that the Honda unit has.

It really is a shame, and in my conversations with Garmin, it appears that Honda really is to blame for this, as they insist on writing much of the software for the GPS themselves, instead of letting Garmin do it. You would think they would want to rely on Garmins vast experience, but apparently they think they know more than Garmin.

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
I heard that Garmin is starting to design Motorcycles.... their pretty smart ya know.... What a shame... Good luck Fred, great report!

Matt(BCNV) :twisted:

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some redeeming feature on the 09 GPS, and the weather info is a big plus. I also like that it shows both cloud and wind data. The screen is also better and easier to read. It's not a total loss, but the inability to pre-load routes is a huge negative for me.

I also don't like the way all the smaller roads dissaper at any zoom level greater than 1 mile, but this happens on my 376c too, so I can't blame that on Honda.

There is a hidden USB port on the 09 GPS, but it is not user accessible, and all attempts to use it to load routes have so far failed. They did add track logging on the 09 GPS, but gave you no way to download your tracks, which is rather silly.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
garsh fred

sounds like what i said after i got my new 06 nav

and how about those buttons below your right knee

arent they just special to use

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Thanks Fred for going through the trouble on reporting on Honda/Garmin GPS.
It'll give future buyers a heads up on what their buying when choosing a GPS or adding their own.

It really is a shame, it appears that Honda really is to blame for this,
Your right in your above statement about the blame to some degree.

But on the other side of the blame here is you/I and the general public for
paying $$$$ that only Honda is in position to make money on less then a prefect product, and knows it.

How much $$$$$ did Honda save by programing those units themselves??
A lot I'm guessing and kept the savings.

I'm not against anyone making money, but remember those $100.00 CD players Honda was getting $1,200.00 as a option.

As much as I'd like ABS or a air bag model, my next Goldwing will be the base price unit.
The hell with their over priced junk your force to buy to get a airbag.

Enough said.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
What I really miss is the ability to make a route on the PC and then load it into the GPS. I can't believe Honda left this feature out.

My other issue, is that I am accustomed to using the 376c to find a hotel by scrolling the cursor over the city I want to stop in and then hit the FIND button. This finds points of interest that are located close to wherever the cursor is positioned. You can't do this with the Honda GPS. When you use the FIND function, it only wants to find points of interest that are close to your current location. If you want to search somewhere else, you have to type in the name of the city and then GO FISH through all 50 states of info that have similar city names to find the one you want. It's pretty cumbersome and definetly not something you could do while going down the road, like I can on the 376c.

Fred, unless they've changed the GPS, you can hover over the city, push FIND, By POI, pick out what category, then by nearest. I just went out to the garage and confirmed that. Work with it a little longer. I keep learning new things about it.

Because this is my first and only GPS, I don't have anything to compare this to, but I'm pretty happy with it. I DO wish I could upload trips to it.

Good luck,
David

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Because this is my first and only GPS, I don't have anything to compare this to, but I'm pretty happy with it. I DO wish I could upload trips to it.

Good luck,
David
if you had a full featured--real-gps before, you would never use the honda factory nav

its only missing

use while riding
ease of operation
import trips/routes
speedometer
altitude readout
touch screen
sd slot for more maps
mp3 player with detailed readouts
and low cost map updates

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Fred, how were you able to disable the non-working buttons while moving? Did I miss a huge thread about this? Inquireing minds want to know!

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
272 Posts
Enable the right buttons while riding

Fred, how were you able to disable the non-working buttons while moving? Did I miss a huge thread about this? Inquireing minds want to know!

Shadow1

Hal
What he said, how do you do that?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Fred....being a top flight mechanic...you should know, it is what it is, and if you make the best of it and focus on its good points, it will do a satisfactory job. The built in system has its pluses. That does not mean I give a pass to Honda for putting in such an inept system. There are other things about the bike that out weigh the shortcommings of the GPS.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Two GPSs

Fred,

The Honda built in GPS certainly is lacking in many ways, but it does have a nice display while riding in .2 mile screen for the tight curve just down the road, Points of Interest just down the road, and the cross streets you are approaching. But I, like you, have another Garmin (496 in my case) which I have mounted with a RAM mount to my clutch reservoir mounting bolts and positioned just over the left handlebar. I keep it zoomed out so I can see further down the road with it. It is moving friendly and I can search it for distance, time, roads, points of interest, etc while riding without leaning forward and taking my eyes very far off the road a glance at a time. I have it's output sound wired into the aux button using the aux cable so I can get directions if needed.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Too bad that it has to come with other must haves on the bike i have my garmin attached to the bike. i like it better

·
Registered
87 Posts

Shadow1

Hal
+1 on what he said.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I may be wrong but I'm not sure Fred would want his name associated with disabling a safety feature.

...I have already modified it so I can use the buttons while I am moving, but even with that, it is still pretty impossible to use while moving, not to mention very dangerous, since you have to turn on the cruise control and take your hands off the throttle and look down. Personally, I would not advise it. I tried to make a route while moving on a county road with no traffic, and still ended up having to pull over to do it....

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I've played with my new Nav a little now. In many ways, I like it better than I expected. But I have also concluded that on any trip more than a day or two it will be neccessary to mount my Garmin for setting up routes.

I too am really annoyed by the fact that Honda does not recognize that motorcyclists are different than cars when it comes to doing complex trips. We are not so much into "take me from here to there the quickest route". We are into the "gee, that road looks like fun".

Thanks for the input Fred. Always good to learn, and like you - I'm trying to be open minded about it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I love my GPS and its a good thing you can't program on the fly. That being said, I do all my preflight planning on the bike and do a lot of searching on the screen with the cursor, there is not as much detail on the honda gps so it screen refresh is fast. I can move the cursor any where in the US then zoom in and look for any services I need. ie 200 hundred mile gas range, just cursor out 200 miles then zoom in and search for gas stations, works pretty good, I would call the number to verify the data base. Just do all your planning on the bike and come up with a code to assemble your points in order, for instance, assign them trip names. Stay with it, it has limitations but it is pretty slick.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Fred H. wrote:
It really is a shame, and in my conversations with Garmin, it appears that Honda really is to blame for this, as they insist on writing much of the software for the GPS themselves, instead of letting Garmin do it.
This doesn't surprise me. Honda is pretty arrogant. I've always had success consulting experts and enabling experts in various fields to help me be successful. The most successful people and corporations never let pride get in the way of becoming the best.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I guess we aren't going to find out how to disableing trick! :-(

Oh well, guess us peeons will just have to do it the way Honda wanted it to be done!

Shadow1

Hal

·
Registered
502 Posts
Gps

I have an 06 wing with Gps and I have to say that for 1000 plus dollars it leaves a lot to be desired. If you want to go from point A to B it will do that. If you want to go to other locations you can do that but you have to change what you do with it. There is a reason for not being able to adjust the Gps while moving. It is like texting while driving a car it is not the safest thing to do. As far as the cost it is not worth it. If I had to do it again I would have aftermarket heat grips and seat put on and a Gps mounted on the bar. It would have been cheaper and better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts