GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back from Alaska and time to get ready for winter. Spent Saturday and Sunday getting firewood.
Who else burns wood? I also have a natural gas furnace.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I use to until my wife and I relinquished the big side of the house to my daughter and son-in-law. Now I have a lazy man's natural gas fireplace. My son says "he who cuts and chops his own firewood heats himself twice" - the first time with all that cutting and chopping and the second time sitting by the glowing fireplace.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t chop wood and I don’t cut grass.
:shock::lol::lol: And I don't dump sand out of my shoes. :wink2:

I would think in the desert grass and trees are hard to come by.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I used to burn / heat / with wood back when I lived in the country......8-9 cords of wood, a season , I would cut/split all by myself, using a splitting mall/and sluge hammer...Never used a gas wood spliter...........That was also 30+ years ago....

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
We have a wood burning fireplace but don’t heat the house with it. Just for cozy evenings in the family room.

I have a lot of natural gas, but thankfully its not piped to the fireplace. :22yikes:

Just say’n >:)

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
We heat with wood. Have since we built the house in 81. We have a wood furnace and an oil furnace for when we aren't home. Don't mind cutting wood. Need something to do in the winter. We probably burn about 50 gallons of oil each winter.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I did until the second chimney fire, now I have a big coal/wood burning forced air, thermos controlled paperweight sitting in the basement.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did until the second chimney fire, now I have a big coal/wood burning forced air, thermos controlled paperweight sitting in the basement.

Having a wood burner is kind of like having a Goldwing. You have to do maintenance on a regular schedule. Think of cleaning the chimney like changing the oil in your Wing. Also using good seasoned wood is like making sure you are using the right oil. I clean my chimney at minimum once a year. Sometimes it gets cleaned during the winter too.

I use a fireplace insert with a catalytic converter. It sometimes has to be cleaned in the middle of the winter. My flue is lined and also has a stainless steel pipe inside it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Boomer yu know where i spend most of the winter and usually my electric heater is enough to take the chill off. No wood chopping for me. *smile* And you are most welcome to visit again any time....

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Oh I cleaned the clay liner chimney once maybe twice a winter. Two things got me in trouble, the unit was way to big for the house so I had to keep it choked off most of the time. And I mixed burning coal and wood, the coal really soot the chimney up.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
And here I thought this thread was going to be about going to the Ribber for the first weekend home. All this talk about splitting wood is making me hungry. I split wood at the trailer for campfires and that is about it. Split a lot of wood with a sledge and wedge when I was a teenager to heat the family home and swore I would never do that again. Elm is a hard wood to split.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Splitter

Grew up splitting wood on a farm to heat with (coal also) and know that system too well.

My Dad later in life finally got a splitter that went on the back of the tractor with a 3 point hitch. Ran off the hydraulics of the tractor and wood split about any size you could place on it (unless it had a bad knot). It even had a drop over 4 way split attachment that would split the right diameter pieces 4 ways in one push. Even had a belt driven cutoff saw that ran off the PTO on another tractor. With those two tractor powered attachments, you could cut and split a BUNCH of wood in a short amount of time.

This was back in the days when you also used downed wood to "burn" your tobacco beds each spring. But that's another story.

Alas my wood splitting days are over thankfully!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts