GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The version in Japan has it as standard equipment. Has for years. The riders didn't look is if they were from Japan tho....

W

·
0 Posts
Before my maker takes me from this earth, I got'ta get me a yellow Goldwing with a riding suit like that one in the video

·
Registered
547 Posts
There's a member here that goes by NightFlyer, who rigged a windshield wiper on his bike a few years ago. He's the most inventive guy I've ever met. You can spend a day going over his bike, looking at all the electronic modifications he's done. Really amazing.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
What I thought was interesting in that video is that the only bike in the video that had the windshield wiper was the silver one at the beginning. I also noticed that it was the only bike that had the chrome upper fairing. I wonder if that is standard on the Japanese version.

I had always wondered why the wiper wasn't available in the US. The only possible reason I can think of is that with a wiper you proabably wouldn't be able to use an adjustable windshield. Most riders here in the US would not accept that which is why so many will not get a Tulsa even though it is a high quality shield.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I think that the windshield in Japan is glass. I don't think the plastic windshields would hold up well under grit and dirt and a windshield wiper.

FF

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MAYBE

LarryM said:
I also noticed that it was the only bike that had the chrome upper fairing. I wonder if that is standard on the Japanese version.

The only possible reason I can think of is that with a wiper you proabably wouldn't be able to use an adjustable windshield.
It might be necessary to have the metal "chrome" to support the wiper.

Maybe it is adjustable and the blade is long enough to do the work :idea:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good site for good videos and info on the wing

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/index1.htm
the gl1800 box has several sub drop down boxes if you are not familiar with this site. The 2005 sub box has several wing commericals.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
A wiper on plexiglass will wear the shield out. The Jap version must be safety glass. F2 shield people told me they were working on a shield with a wiper. I would buy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
laen said:
A wiper on plexiglass will wear the shield out. The Jap version must be safety glass. F2 shield people told me they were working on a shield with a wiper. I would buy.
I would buy as well

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
laen said:
The Goldwing windshield is not plexiglass. It is Lexan polycarbonate with an anti-scratch coating. I seriously doubt that the Japanese version is glass.

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
the japanese shield is not the same, it can be coated all day; a wiper blade would wear the LEXAN POLY PLASTIC out

防寒機能やオーディオなど
を充実させるとともに=reads safety glass

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mongo said:
LarryM said:
laen said:
I seriously doubt that the Japanese version is glass.
Larry

If you can read Japanese you can fing the glass specs:
I used Babelfish for the translation:

When travelling adopting the wind, it improves comfort, the ventilation attaching windshield.
- The intermittent functional attaching wiper which equips the tank for the electromotive washer of bulk 1.9L.

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked closer on that website and

not all of them have wipers. I also noticed a little bump to the left of the wiper blade. I think its a solvent squirter :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts