GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered how long it would take, or if it would ever happen. But I laid her down this morning on the way to work.

It was a bit foggy in Central Missouri this morning, but that really had nothing to do with what happened, other than possibly keeping it from being worse than it was. I had just taken a curve and was heading down a slightly curvy hill, when out of nowhere came a kamikaze raccoon who ran right under my front wheel. I saw him coming and got on the brakes, but couldn't get completely stopped, and down I went.

The bike skidded...oh I'd say about 25 feet or so... into the ditch, while I fell in a heap in the middle of the road and rolled just a few feet.

I had on all my safety gear, and it all worked per design. My helmet is scratched up pretty good, and my gloves and jacket are a bit of a mess. And I ruined my new work boots. I came out of it without a scratch....on the outside.

In the fall, I broke my collar bone in four places. But somehow, I managed to pick the bike back up by myself, and with the help of two passers by (and Goldwing's reverse), we got it back out into the road, and I was able to ride it home. It was only later that I discovered my clavicle was actually broken.

I'm also very glad to say that the bike only suffered minimal damage. Much less than I thought it was suffering as we were tumbling down the road. The crash bars performed perfectly.

Could have been worse. Always wear that gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
I wondered how long it would take, or if it would ever happen. But I laid her down this morning on the way to work.

It was a bit foggy in Central Missouri this morning, but that really had nothing to do with what happened, other than possibly keeping it from being worse than it was. I had just taken a curve and was heading down a slightly curvy hill, when out of nowhere came a kamikaze raccoon who ran right under my front wheel. I saw him coming and got on the brakes, but couldn't get completely stopped, and down I went.

The bike skidded...oh I'd say about 25 feet or so... into the ditch, while I fell in a heap in the middle of the road and rolled just a few feet.

I had on all my safety gear, and it all worked per design. My helmet is scratched up pretty good, and my gloves and jacket are a bit of a mess. And I ruined my new work boots. I came out of it without a scratch....on the outside.

In the fall, I broke my collar bone in four places. But somehow, I managed to pick the bike back up by myself, and with the help of two passers by (and Goldwing's reverse), we got it back out into the road, and I was able to ride it home. It was only later that I discovered my clavicle was actually broken.

I'm also very glad to say that the bike only suffered minimal damage. Much less than I thought it was suffering as we were tumbling down the road. The crash bars performed perfectly.

Could have been worse. Always wear that gear.
Glad you were not hurt worse. The bike can be repaired. Good on you for wearing the appropriate gear. Did the bike go down due to wheel lock up or did you actually hit the racoon. Those buggers have incredible bone structure and are tough animals.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok (relatively) and that you were wearing all your gear. ATGATT is a pain in the butt, except when you need it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I didn't lock the wheels up. Perhaps that's why I didn't get stopped. Maybe I was a bit too easy on the brakes. I actually hit the raccoon. By the time I got up, he was long gone. The least he could have done is died.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to hear about your off!!! That is not a good way to start the day. That collar bone is gonna hurt for a good while especially broken in four spots. :frown:

Also sounds like you need a new helmet. Glad you came out ok overall.

Cheers
K

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Glad you're ok for the most part. Hopefully the collarbone won't require surgery, but at least that's the only part that is 'broken'. Hope your recovery is quick and painless. The bike can be fixed. Too bad the raccoon lived. I hear they can be some good eatin'.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Glad you're ok for the most part. Hopefully the collarbone won't require surgery, but at least that's the only part that is 'broken'. Hope your recovery is quick and painless. The bike can be fixed. Too bad the raccoon lived. I hear they can be some good eatin'.
:agree:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hmmm?

Sorry to hear that~! Hope you heal up as fast as possible!
Some one needs to design a varmit catcher for the front of the wing. A 9000000000000 lb train used to have a cattle catcher..
I have hit a large ground hog and a skunk, both times going in a straight line. Ground hog actually turned and ran into bike. Got it with back tire only. I was fortunate that I didnt go down. (The skunk did stink things up for about a 100 miles though..)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap, but glad your injuries weren't any more serious. Sharing this is a reminder to all of us of the value of ATGATT.

·
Registered
345 Posts
To date for me....a BAT...right in the face...impact was so hard it busted the face sheild off....thank god I had one that day...! Impact was such that the bat was glued to my helmet and in my face while I went into a high speed wobble doing a panic stop and not seeing a blood thing as the face sheild was pushed into my face..and dead bat all over it.

As soon as I got under 60 Km/h the face sheild bat and all fell off, it was just the air pressure of doing 120 that held it in place for as long as it did.

I have come close...real close to hitting a dog...wish I would have. Stupid dog loves to run after anything on wheels to attack it....one day that dog and I are going to dance...and I might just forget to hit the brake....! I hate that F*** dog...

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
From what I've read it would be very important to replace your helmet no matter what it looks like on the outside.

Glad you had on all your gear and will recover.

Heal safely.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Collar bone broken in four places. Ouch! :22yikes:

I hope you feel better soon, but I know it will take awhile.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Glad you didn't get hurt an worse than you were. It would have really been bad if the Racoon had been rabid and came back to bite you!

:nojoke:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
glad your ok oouch darn racoons hope you feel better. check out the forsale board there was someone that has the rear crash bars for sale.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Sure; blame the poor, defenseless raccoon. Could it have been avoided if you'd been using a CT, or had louder pipes, or been a better driver?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Glad you're not too bad off, the bike can be fixed and the gear can be replaced........get healthy and jump back on that thing..........:roll:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Glad to hear it was not worse than that. It was the left collarbone, Yes?
Broken in four places, humm, i am betting surgery here.
Mine was broken in three and i needed to go under the knife.
May you heal well and fast my friend so you can get back to riding ASAP.

From the Land of Ice and Fire
Eagleman

·
Registered
171 Posts
Heal quickly, Viper. Glad to hear it wasn't worse sounds pretty lame, but glad to hear it all the same. Wearing the gear makes a difference.
OB

1 - 20 of 96 Posts