GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always on the prowl for that next nice piece of riding apparel and ran across the FirstGear Thermogear 1 Piece suit. Advertised as insulated and WATERPROOF. Sounds like just the ticket for the remainder of the winter riding season.

Anybody have any experience with this particular suit?

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/products_raingear.htm

Rick and Karen
Tuscaloosa, AL

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
It's a great suit. I used it on my recent run to Big Pine and back last Monday. It worked great, but I was only dealing with temperatures down to 25 degrees, and it was only that cold for short distances, as I crossed over the mountain passes. I'd recommend it for temperatures around freezing and higher. It's light enough that a loose-fitting jacket will fit over it, which I eventually did, and I was just fine for the rest of the ride.

It's got zippers and pockets and velcro in all the right places.

If you're going to be riding in temperatures colder than that for longer distances, layers would help, including thermal underwear, which I was not wearing.

John in Vegas

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I use them every ride this wnter, rode into the low teens and body was warm, feet and hands thats another story

Dan L

·
Chard Member
13,045 Posts
If your going to wear it, it's great. If you have to store it on the bike, you'll need a saddlebag for it! The two piece might not be as warm, but I think the two piece is more versatile!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Red

Does not the 1800 have two saddle bags and a trunk. When I am wearing the riding suit, my jacket is in the saddlebag, If it warms up I can change and the riding suit goes into the bag. If we are traveling, it goes in the trailer. So no problem either way.

Dan L

·
Chard Member
13,045 Posts
Danl.....Your idea is just fine! Works for me. Now tell me what you do with all that bulk when you're travelling. I "won't" tow a trailer. Most motorcyclists don't and won't tow a trailer. I guess you could make a choice and not take anything except the first gear suit! LOL.... I was just trying to make a point that the First Gear "one piece" suit is bulky as hell!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kinda figured they might be a bit bulky.

SWMBO is extremely cold natured so bulk isn't an issue with her. I figure the suit plus her heated vest should keep her toasty on those days when it is below 70 degrees.....yes she is that cold natured.

Me on the other hand.....I rode 100+ miles today, temp in the high 50's with just my leather jacket, boots, and lightweight gloves.

Rick
Tuscaloosa, AL
04 Candy Red

·
Registered
5 Posts
Red,....... If most motorcyclist's don't tow a trailer, then tell me why Bushtec & Escapade are so popular???????? :D I guess all those things that I see behind them bikes are just my imagination. Just joking with ya!!!!

SnowWhite

·
Registered
766 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Rikkitik said:
Me on the other hand.....I rode 100+ miles today, temp in the high 50's with just my leather jacket, boots, and lightweight gloves.
Uhhhhh... didn't your "stuff" get cold? :shock:

Were YOU the guy in the "flip-flop" post?!? :a13:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
IB Mike said:
Here is an alternative, the Nelson Rigg Riptide one piece.
That's all well and good, but do they make a suit you can wear on an 1800? :p

John in Vegas

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Son of Thunder said:
That's all well and good, but do they make a suit you can wear on an 1800? :p

John in Vegas
ROFL... thanks for the morning crack-me-up!! Good one!! :lol: :lol:

·
Chard Member
13,045 Posts
I had the same question. I figured if the suit was made for a 1500 it would be slow and bend in the middle! Then I thought I won't be riding that fast in the rain so that would be okay.

The next problem I had was when I went to the site I got confused again. It stated it was a unisex size! Well Duh! The last time I looked I was a male, not a unisex. So I didn't order one! :(

IB (Mike..You Have A PM!)

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Red,when was the last time you looked?Some times things change very fast. :D :D
By the way your statement that most riders would not pull a trailer is a little less than accurate. :roll:
**** :yw1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts