GL1800Riders Forums banner

Fish kickstand question

927 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Flatsixbasic 
#1 ·
Hello all..
My 08 has gone in for the mega Monty traxxion.. whoohoo!! I can’t wait.. however the installer recommended looking for the Fish to help with the lean. My research says they’re rare.. however there are a few listed on eBay, but the say they’re for the 92-00 1500.. is that what I’m looking for? How much longer is needed to reduce the angle? Is it really necessary?

Is there a newer solution out there, or anyone with one they are selling?
Thanks for any help!

#8 ·
I had a Fish's Foot on my GL1500I, years ago. Very good quality. Chrome and fit was flawless.
Bought it after a previous trip, where we stopped at a park for lunch. We stopped at a local deli and parked on a gravel pad, in a city park, next to a picnic table. As we sat munching our sandwiches, we watched our Goldwing slip into the gravel and fall onto it's side, in slow motion!
Hence, we bought Fish's Foot.

#7 ·
Wasn't on a wing, but in the past I've welded a piece to the bottom of a sidestand to make it longer.

Seemed easier that cutting and inserting a piece in the centre.
Making the added piece larger that existing foot leaves a place for the weld bean and an easy opportunity to make the foot a little larger.

#9 ·
Hello all..
My 08 has gone in for the mega Monty traxxion.. whoohoo!! I can’t wait.. however the installer recommended looking for the Fish to help with the lean. My research says they’re rare.. however there are a few listed on eBay, but the say they’re for the 92-00 1500.. is that what I’m looking for? How much longer is needed to reduce the angle? Is it really necessary?

Is there a newer solution out there, or anyone with one they are selling?
Thanks for any help!
Hello all..

y

#12 ·
Fish made the early sidestands for the GL 1800 a bit to long for the OEM suspension which caused the bike to stand too upright on the sidestand....then fish shorten the later models to correct the lean with the OEM Gold Wing..with the Traxxion suspension the bike will be taller and lean over more on the stock sidestand...with the early fish sidestands being longer the lean angle was perfect with the Traxxion suspension.

I have fixed some stock sidestands for friends by taking some 1/2 inch stainless plate and cut it and grinded it into the shape of the stock sidestands foot...drill a 3/8 hole thru the stainless plate and tig weld it thru the hole to the bottom of the stock sidestands foot..then grind the weld smooth and paint it black to match the stock sidestand...afterwards you can hardly tell its been lengthen...I use stainless plate so it wont rust on the bottom of the foot and look good when the sidestand is up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.