GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK.......Spring will be here in a few months and it's time to get the Wing ready for the summer "month" coming. When I put her away last fall I noticed the rear drive was starting to seep at the gasket. It's still under warranty so.........should I let a dealer replace the gasket or should I just get a new drive from a trike take off. It's got 60,000 miles on it. New drives are about $100.00 and they look easy enough to replace.....(I do most of my own maintainance).....so what do you think? I also plan on keeping this Wing a couple more years at least.

·
Registered
863 Posts
let the dealer do it . that way if the rear end should fail in the future
its honda's problem not yours.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
My personal feeling is that a lot of these extra final drives may be going away in this economy. At least until things settle down. I picked up a spare with everything for $75 and I keep it in stock just in case. It is a very easy change out. I personally won't let any dealer touch my bike unless it is a major issue, as I have had a bad experience where they let a kid with zero training go at my bike once.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I would let Honda repair it under warranty. I have a brand new rear drive in my garage from a trike take off just sitting and waiting in case I ever need it, but I would still let Honda replace my rear drive under warranty if it was to fail while the bike is still under warranty.

The more rear drives Honda has to repair or replace under warranty, the more likely Honda will address the rear drive issue with the future models.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
+1 what Roadie said..

I have a spare final sitting on the shelf,But my extended warranty doesn't expire until 7/11,So I'd let Honda replace it under the warranty..

BTW:
I'm just like you and do all my own work..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts