GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a little shopping for my 2020 DCT.
Got a Corbin heated seat on order.
A set of Helibars.
A set Goldstrike foot pegs and slip over hand grips.
Should be finishing up the HomeLink garage door kit this morning.
I think that's about all I need. Maybe a water bottle holder. That really came in handy on the Harley.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
A set of Helibars.
The risers or the handlebars?

You may want to ride a bit more before you spend more money on it. I remember going batshit wild farkling my first GL. This one, not so much. My spending is based on comfort and enjoyment. Even then, some things haven't quite panned out.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
The risers or the handlebars?

You may want to ride a bit more before you spend more money on it. I remember going batshit wild farkling my first GL. This one, not so much. My spending is based on comfort and enjoyment. Even then, some things haven't quite panned out.
I agree, depending on tour reach and size you may not need to use the risers.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
A set of Helibars.
I think that's about all I need. Maybe a water bottle holder. That really came in handy on the Harley.
Good list.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Just the risers. Didn't realize there were handlebars too.
Hopefully the risers meet your needs. They work well for me. The handlebars are $800ish. Some buyers have negative comments about how the bike's wiring looks upon installation.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the risers installed this afternoon. It's raining so I can't really go out and enjoy a test ride. Tomorrow should be better though.
From first feel of em though, it seems to be a bit more relaxing.
The foot pegs should be along in another day or so.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Goldstrike foot pegs and larger hand grips arrived today. Installed them this evening and then took the bike for a drive. Temps were in the mid 40s but the forward position for my legs makes a world of difference. The hand grips feel much better than the skinny little broom stick stock hand grips. The heat doesn't radiate through them as well though. I'll have to consider using my electric gloves in cold temps.
My Corbin seat should be along early April and that will set the bike up for the long haul summer trips.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I placed my order for a custom Corbin seat, the web site said it would be about 4 to 5 weeks.
I just got a notification that the seat will be here next Wednesday. A little over 2 weeks.
That should complete the comfort stuff for the bike and I'll be ready to hit the road and put some miles on this puppy.
Doin the first oil change tomorrow. Didn't realize the tranny filter was so small. It's about the same size as a fuel filter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Corbin seat arrived today. I had a back rest from the Corbin I had on my Harley. Same part number. I fit right into the seat on the GL. Makes a world of difference. Seat sets me back about 2" and the back rest provides the relief I needed. Highway pegs are right where they need to be and I carry a wrench to adjust them while on trips.
This bike is set to roam the highways. Now, the other problem is traveling during this pandemic. Will there be enough gas stations open for refueling and restaurants for meals?

·
Registered
146 Posts
This bike is set to roam the highways. Now, the other problem is traveling during this pandemic. Will there be enough gas stations open for refueling and restaurants for meals?
I think you won't have any trouble finding gas stations open. Maybe restaurants though for the next two months. I'm hoping we'll be getting back close to normal by June, but who knows. Americade is in early June in New York and Laconia Motorcycle Week is mid June in New Hampshire. Both are big events for riders living in the northeast and the eastern Canadian Provinces. Time will tell if these events occur. :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
You may want to add more lights to the rear for Safety. It's on my list for needed upgrades to my '19.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A set of Helibars.
Ken,

Just purchase a 2018 DCT, interested in your height and inseam length, I'm 6 2 and am ready to purchase the 20 inch F4 shield and the Gold Strike Pegs. Appears the PEGs are 180 degrees adjustable and are the best option for my 34 inch legs. Also looking at an F4 20 inch shield and maybe the corbin,especially if it sits you back like you said, and yes the risers! any advice?
best
Jim

·
Registered
79 Posts
I installed the Utopia backrest, helibar risers, Rivco Aero pegs... bike fits me like a glove now! Also added a front fender extension and the Tankslapper film to protect the finish. Love this bike!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm 6'4" with 34" inseam, 220lbs. The Goldstrike foot rests are just right for me. I don't think you're going to find much better. They all seem to put your feet about the same place along side the engine heads.
The Corbin seat sits me back a couple inches compared to the stock seat and I think a little lower. The seat might be a little softer than the stock seat because the padding isn't to much thicker than stock. I can live with that. Don't need a pillow to sit on. I do have a sheep skin cover that I tried yesterday which is great. Just a little change now and then makes the seat very comfortable for an all day ride or travel. The Helirisers give the hand grips just a little bit of pull back and rise for me. Maybe another inch higher would be fine but then, that's splitting hairs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The recurve F4 Customs windshield arrived today. Took about 5 minutes to install it. Rainy cold out there right now so I'm not to excited about doing a test ride right now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts