GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
The site that comes up gives some detailed instructions on how to get to it. I have not been happy with that forum for a while, so I have not tried to wade through it.

·
Love The DCT
12,024 Posts
MinnBobber:

Which FJR Forum are you trying to get to? The EzBoard one, the FJR Forum, and the FJR Owners ones are all working as of just a few minutes ago. I do know the Ez Board one has been hit by hackers a couple of times and they have lost some posts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FJR FORUM

Same problem here. Was skeptical at first.
I have tried the instructions and they work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. FJR Forum back. FJR ??? too

Thanks, the "FJRForum" works again for me except that writing a post at home on our webtv setup where it tells me I need to write a message when there is one written so I cannot post???

Also, seems like quite a few GWing plus FJR owners here. Any insights on how my wife might like an 07 FJR after a 1800 GWing are greatly appreciated. The GWing passenger setup probably spoiled here for the modest FJR perch. We are a "one bike family".
Any suggestions for needed additions to the FJR? I'm thinking backrest or backrest plus rack.
Thanks. 8)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Re: Thanks. FJR Forum back. FJR ??? too

MinnBobber said:
Thanks, the "FJRForum" works again for me except that writing a post at home on our webtv setup where it tells me I need to write a message when there is one written so I cannot post???

Also, seems like quite a few GWing plus FJR owners here. Any insights on how my wife might like an 07 FJR after a 1800 GWing are greatly appreciated. The GWing passenger setup probably spoiled here for the modest FJR perch. We are a "one bike family".
Any suggestions for needed additions to the FJR? I'm thinking backrest or backrest plus rack.
Thanks. 8)
If you are a ONE bike family, you will be keeping your GL1800. I have a GL1800/A and a FJR1300AE. I prefer the FJR1300AE for solo riding but the GL1800/A is definitely a better TWO person riding machine.

Best Regards,

SHane

B

·
Registered
430 Posts
Re: Thanks. FJR Forum back. FJR ??? too

MinnBobber said:

Thanks. 8)
My wife won't ride the FJR anymore. She's spoiled rotten after riding the Wing. Some sort of backrest is just about mandatory, if for no other reason, safety of the pillion. Pillion is Sport Touring lingo for passenger. Probably get your butt kicked if you talk that way in Texas :lol: You will seriously get to know the term 'farkle', first coined by an ST1100 rider years back. I searched for the actual definition and it appears to be pretty much focused on Sport Touring rider's machines, although I take the liberty to 'farkle' my Wing.

But, if you must be a one bike family (how sad is that?) :( and must have an FJR, I would recommend the Givi 46 or 52 liter trunk with a backrest (optional). Could probably fashion a better backrest than the one that Givi sells, but the trunk is a fine addition.

Also helpful would be a passenger peg lowering kit, especially if your wife is long of leg.

·
Vendor
22,071 Posts
The Givi V46 with color matched lid is the way to go on the FJR. Givi recommends using the SR357 rack and mount, but personally, I prefer using the OHFJR rack and Givi Universal mount, as I think it looks nicer. The whole set up is still several hundred dollars cheaper than the OEM Yamaha rack and top box, and it has more room and looks better too.

I am now making and selling LED tail/brake light kits for the V46 as well.

Gold Wing Lite

With my brake/tail light kit installed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GW vs FJR

Thanks for the comments.
My 1800 GWing has been gone for the last year and a half so maybe
she won't remember how great it was for her on the back.
The logical choice might have been the GWing but I decided to try a
Sport Touring machine (FJR on order).
I can always go back to a Wing if this doesn't work. She only rides about 1/3 of the time so I'll have the sporty FJR for those solo runs.

Wish I could have both but not in the cards for right now....

·
Registered
430 Posts
There were many 2 up riders at the WFO5 in Reno this year. You chose the best S/T out there (IMHO). Of course the new 'Connie' will hit the streets soon...Hope your bride likes the new FJR. I'm sure you will.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I test rode an FJR AE the other weekend. It took a lot of arm twisting (about 2 seconds) by the sales person to force me to take it for a test ride. Man! What a machine. However, it was just too weird having no clutch lever. And, getting use to the push button shifting might take a couple of days. But, I think I'd stay with the familiar and buy one with the normal clutch. Hopefully, when the wing is paid for I can talk my wife into letting me order and FJR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kaw 14

Randy,
the Kawi 14 GT Concourse was tempting but a first year bikeoften has
"issues". The variable valve timing seems like a great idea if it works and is reliable, especially if it's tuned to get great hwy gas mileage.
The FJR has been refined over it's run so decided to go with a proven winner.
I wish the Kaw had weight/ price/ hp published but dealer needed to order FJRs now so couldn't wait for that info.
Wish Honda would hurry up with the ST 1500???
Bob

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I too will carefully consider the Concours 14 as I'm a speed junkie. But I just took an eight day, 2900 mile trip on my FJR that included 600 mile days, four trips on the "Dragon" - and we were basically riding all day every day. I can tell you that the FJR is a hell of a bike for doing it all.

In addition to it's horsepower, the Concours will need to be pretty well sorted out, as the FJR is now.

·
Vendor
22,071 Posts
The big advantage the new Concours is going to have over the FJR (other than more power), is a lower center of gravity.

It appears Kawasaki has finally seen the light, and moved the gas tank under the seat as well as the battery. The FJR is top heavy due to the battery being where the right glove box should be and the large gas tank on top of the in-line four. Yamaha really should relocate the battery and move the gas tank as well. The FJR is a great bike, but the top heavy feel spoils what is an otherwise perfect bike (except for the low RPM throttle control issue).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts