GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone here has a FJR1300 or ST1300 as a second bike and how they compare to the Goldwing.

Lately with the heat and humidity, I've been riding my '92 Nighthawk and having a blast although it certainly is not as comfortable as the 'Wing. I've been thinking about a S/T bike as a compromise. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Ken

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Had an ST which I preferred over an FJ. The comfort level is almost on-par with the wing as far as the driver is concerned. Not completely, but close - it has a great seat. The addition of the electric shield helps a lot in low-speed riding to keep the airflow up. As you are leaned forward a bit your shoulders take a little load vs. the Wing. It is a great alternative to a Wing if you have to step a notch down in comfort. I have done several long-distance rides on it. Expect typical Honda problem-free quality and reliability. But if given the choice between the two - even in the heat I would take the Wing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had an 07 FJR. Great handling, great power. Good ergo's. I had a lot of issues with turbulance and windnoise. Finally got past the turbulance issue with a different windscreen. I was very satisfied with mine, but it was NOT as comfortable as a full on tourer like our Wings...

P

·
0 Posts
Had a 2004 ST1300. Its a solid bike, Fun to ride but it will cook you on hot day. have test ridden an FJR... Too much vibration in footpegs and handlebars, ergos on the FJR are more relaxed than the C14 but not as good as the ST.

One thing I hated about the ST.... The Instrumentation is very difficult to read in daylight.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Currently have an 04 non ABS ST and 08 ABS Wing. Two different bikes. I enjoy riding both and alternate just for fun. I also keep the ST for company bike for visitors who ride it and I can ride theirs while I am in Europe.

The ST is more nimble and even with the handlebar risers you are riding more of a sportbike than a touring bike. Less storage than the Wing. Engine sounds like a sewing machine, LED instrument panel sucks in daylight. Had to replace a defective ECM. Tires last longer than on the Wing and you need high test gas due to higher compression. I have a Zumo installed and use bluetooth headsets for intercom. Added rear crash bars. Wrapped the exhuast pipes with asbestos bandage....still get a lot of heat in the summer - this is NOT a stop and go in traffice bike cause your legs and heinee will fry.

I have 27,000 on the Wing and 56,000 on the ST. Both are keepers.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I've had both an ST and an FJR (and now a Concours) and I have had them all at the same time I have had the Goldwings.

The ST is the least sporty of the three. In my case, the FJR was the most comfortable. The only positives I have for the ST compared to the other two is that the ST is a quality, refined bike. But to me it's more like an appliance where the other two have a lot more heart and soul. I don't mean that as a knock - it's just that I like a bike that is more sport oriented.

If you have specific questions on them let me know.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I love my ST1300A, which now has 52000 trouble free miles. In fact, it is the best motorcycle I've ever owned, and I've been riding since age 14. I've owned new Gold Wing's, Harley's, Yamaha Royal's and others.

I am thinking seriously of a new Gold Wing, but only for the large rear seat, which would work well for my favorite passenger, Pugsley, a four year old Pug dog, who thinks he is human. He presently rides in a Roadhound pet carrier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Had an 07 FJR that was great for what it was. Sold it and bought a 1999 Valkyrie Interstate. None of the sport touring bikes compare to my Goldwing in my opinion. Would either of those be a good second bike? Very much so. There are times I wish I still had the FJR, had mine loaded out with custom seat, grips, windshield and much more. I was actually looking for a ST1300 when I came across a smoking deal on the FJR. You can't go wrong with either as a second bike. Good Luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Had a ST13

I had an ST1300 ABS and liked the bike overall. It will cook your legs/nuts on a hot day so I didn't ride it above 80F (not a problem where I live) brakes are better than a wings. Electric WS is great. More top heavy than the wing but better lean angle clearance. You will want to customize to make it more comfortable like most bikes (seat, bar backs, windshield, grips, etc). Wife liked the wing better so thats what I ride now.

·
Registered
235 Posts
ST1300 is best sport touring bike out there imo. I am not a fan of the FJR and would look to the concours as another alternative first.

Someone posted this somewhere when I was looking at reviews and I think it is a good point...

The ST1300 is the swiss army of sport touring bikes. It does everything well, but isn't the best at anything.

I think it is the best all-around bike and more sport than touring. If I wanted a sportier bike I would go with the all-new concours. There have been numerous changes in both the FJR and Concours so be sure to look into that as you're shopping. For example, I would only be looking at the last model Concours.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Old Bear, My son has a FJR1300 and is having problems with buffeting and wind. Which windshield did you use that improved the situation. He's currently shopping for a windshield that will make it better!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Had an ST1300 and my son had the FJR. I preferred the ST with a Sargent seat. The stock seat was uncomfortable to me.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Isn't it interesting that so many people feel differently and none of us is wrong. I've done quite a few long trips on all the bikes except the ST1300 - I did 300 mile days on it though.

In order of comfort on a long ride for me.....

Best being first
1) FJR by a wide margin
2) Concours with Sargent seat and sheepskin/gel pad
3) St1300
4) Goldwing

I get a very sore back on the GW I assume because of the upright riding position. I got sore in the shoulder blades on the ST1300. The FJR & Concours I just get a bit of a numb-butt that I would probably get sitting at home in a Barcolounger for 10 hours a day.

BTW, I am also amused at how many people want to be in still air on a motorcycle. I prefer a low windshield to get a decent air blast from the shoulders up. I've cut down or at least put a lower than stock windshield on all the bikes except the ST (remember, I never did long trips on it, and I bought that bike after being away from motorcycles for 16 years). Today I ride about 18,000 a year. About 14,000 on the Concours, and 4,000 on the GW.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Toss some soft luggage on the back and call it a day:

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
When I sold my wing and wanted to a sport tourer I looked at the ST13, FJR and the Concours, The ST1300 is ugly, no 6th gear no gear indicator or TPMS, I didn't like the looks or the feel or the FJR so after reading all the motorcycle magazine shoot outs on sport tourers and seeing the concours win ever time I got one. Not a Gold Wing by any means but what a fun bike to ride, I bought it November 10 and have about 8500 miles on it and love it, But before you drop a bunch of money on any sport tourer I would say spend about $100 and rent one for a day, I found a dealer that let me test ride the C14 before I bought and I was sold on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had a both an ST1100 (which I loved) and an FJR1300 (which I hated). I thought I wanted something sportier than a Goldwing. Turns out 700 lb sport tourers aren't so sporty. So now I have a Goldwing and a GSX-R750 (which is very sporty).

·
Registered
250 Posts
I get a very sore back on the GW I assume because of the upright riding position.
I prefer a low windshield to get a decent air blast from the shoulders up.
You know what an air blast from the shoulders up will do to your back, right?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've had a both an ST1100 (which I loved) and an FJR1300 (which I hated). I thought I wanted something sportier than a Goldwing. Turns out 700 lb sport tourers aren't so sporty. So now I have a Goldwing and a GSX-R750 (which is very sporty).
I have had a FJR and a BMW K1300GT. For comfort, power, and electronics, the BMW wins easily.

Having said that, the FJR can be had for a lot less $ which might be a consideration for a 2nd bike!

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I owned an '03 ST1300 for a couple years and loved the bike, despite the heat issues. I found that I could deal with the heat and reduce the problem, but it couldn't be eliminated entirely. I rode my friend's FJR and, although it is fun to ride and has great power, it was too compact for me. The ST fit me perfectly. Well, almost. After adding a Russell seat and Heli handlebar risers, it was great.

The ST1300 is smooth, the power is sneaky, it handles well, but it's not a sport bike, and it's comfortable, even for long distances. And yes, it does sound a bit funky at an idle, but when accelerating and at speed, it has a nice snarl to it. Wind management is good, as well. I never had issues with the ergonomics except for the weight on my wrists--my right one specifically, but that wasn't the bike's fault. I had a deteriorating base thumb joint that required surgery to correct. It hurt even on the Wing.

I think, if I were to go back to a sport tourer, I would seriously consider another ST because it is so good at everything. At least for me. May not work that way for everyone. I can't comment on the C14 Connie because I've never ridden one. I was too folded up on the FJR and it has too much vibration to suit me. My buddy says it's the perfect bike--for him.

Ride each one and determine which one speaks out the loudest to you, then go for it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts