GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Gary - Brenda and I wish you a very happy retirement. :thumbup: Font is in ORANGE - just for you...!

I am back in Ohio now (sick) and will miss your parties but you know how I feel.

Hope you are able to enjoy your first day of retirement! :coffee1:

Jim & Brenda

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Gary

All the best and wishing you many years of enjoyment. Safe travels and thanks for all you did in helping your community.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Well that big day is finally here.
If you're like many of us who actually enjoyed our jobs, it's probably a double edged sword (mixed feelings).

I've come to know you as an extremely resilient and resourceful individual and one of the most selfless people I know.

Thank you for your service!

I'm sure this day will begin a great new chapter in your life.

Congratulations my friend!

Dennis

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Gary,

Just chiming in here with the rest of the lunatics (Wheels and wingwing, are you reading this?) to wish you the best in your retirement.

As has already been stated by Dennis, I'm sure the time is bittersweet for you because of the value you added to your workplace and the satisfaction that brings to one. However, knowing you to be the man you are, you will add value wherever you find yourself.

God bless you as you start down this new road. Ever the best.

Journey safely.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Chapter 2 begins...........

It's a known fact you are to young to be retired but I'm sure you will cope. Since I will probably never see retirement I am jealous. Stay active, stay healthy and you will out live us all. As a first responder you must be proud of what you have accomplished in life. Thank you for your service and now "have the time of your life".

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Gary,have a great day and many more on your own terms. I know how you feel (36 yrs. LEO). I miss it but it is a young mans game. Hope to make Lakeland,I'll know for sure on Wed.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Gary, happy retirement. I'll be entering that rarified atmosphere soon (but not soon enough).

Hope to see you again soon - enjoy life to the fullest. :thumbup:

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
:congrats::congrats: enjoy while you can, life is short . your years of dedicated hard work has finally paid off :bow::bow: see ya saturday !!:excited::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of being a retiree. "Nothing to do, and no time to do it in" will prove to be oh so true. Congratulations my friend.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Retirement

I've been retired for 13 years. I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I'm enjoying mine. Life is good. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
555 Posts
Gary I hope you enjoy your well deserved retirement. 35 years is a long time in the fire service and look at all the changes you have experienced!! Now all you have to do is get used to being paid once a month ;)

See you Saturday!!

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
Best wishes and congratulations Gary. You have reached the light at the end of the tunnel. Don't worry about having too much free time now, it ain't gonna happen, trust me. You'll find that the master switch for time has suddenly been turned to the max and time will now race by like never before. Hang on for for a well deserved ride.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'm not good at this writing stuff but here goes.

I would like to say thanks for all the well wishes on my Retirement.
Today was my first day of my retirement and I have mixed emotions about leaving after 35 years. For some I know they couldn't wait to leave their job that they really didn't like but for me its been a very emotional time of my life. For the last year I have been trying to get ready for this day just knowing this would be it for me after working all these years for the FD and owning my own lawn business for years and working 80/90 hours a week. For those of you that don't know about the fire service we work a 24 on and 48 off shift which equals out to be 1/3 of your life and you get real close to the ones you work with its a Brotherhood like none other. For all those years i have worked I've spent more time with these guys then my own family. All those years my wife practically raised my two sons taking them to all the school functions and sporting events and then all the holidays I had to work while i worked to try to make a better life for them that i didn't have. Was it worth it i don't know but i do know I have two precious grandchildren and a wonderful wife that I love dearly.

Now for you guys. I have been on this board since 04 and have met so many friends and caring people that come together just like this past Sunday when Wingwing (Dennis) Organized the ride over to meet Tom a complete stranger to help him have a little better day. And for others when you have trouble with your bike and don't know how to fix it they just say bring it over and we will fix it. And for Jim (RoadRunner) That takes time to send me a special gift even though he is having bad health issues. And to Barry (GOJU RIDER) for being there when I needed him. And last but not least all the ones that take time to Volunteer to help out at the Smoky Mountain Ride In every year to put smiles on Children's faces for Christmas and to have an event for you to go to and enjoy every year. The list of people goes on and on. Its just some of these people that i'm proud to say they are my Friends.
Thanks to all. :bow:
Hope to see you on Saturday
Gary

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
My turn? Gary, may you be blessed with many, many years of enjoying "your time". There are drawbacks. You have no paid vacations, no overtime or holiday pay. God bless you and your golden years my friend.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Gary, how time flies. When I retired from Gov't work, it was quite a shock to the system. After going year after year to the same establishment, then one day knowing I would not see my friends and as you and I call them "family" does and will take time to get over. The average individual doesn't understand the closeness we get with our co-workers when we live together so much. But believe me when I say, they will never forget us and we will never forget them. Time goes on and so do we. I've been retired since May 2012 and still get calls daily and weekly from people where I worked. Funny thing is my former boss has called me several times asking if I was happy and would I consider coming back !!!! The bad thing is they are in Atlanta and I am here in Florida. If we were closer, maybe !!!

As OBT stated time moves faster these days and he is "Spot On" with that statement. WOW some days one does not have enough time to get completed what one needs.

But overall, retirement is GREAT!!!!

Congratulations cannot speak the true words how I feel to you and your service to public life. It's a life that has changed us then, now and forever....

Enjoy your well earned retirement..... :thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts