GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a flag? What mount to the factory luggage rack? I saw a spider with an LED flag on the back.... pretty cool. Wonder if that could be mounted to a wing ? Found them on valueaccessories.com

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Anyone with a flag? What mount to the factory luggage rack? I saw a spider with an LED flag on the back.... pretty cool. Wonder if that could be mounted to a wing ? Found them on valueaccessories.com

I like it, but "value"? I think not.:smile2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did look good. Lol. Agree about value though

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the LED AMERICAN FLAG mount below my license plate. LOOKED GREAT and gave me more light for drivers to see me. THEN, I heard the siren and saw the blue lights. I was pulled over for illegal lighting and impersonating a police officer. No ADDITIONAL RED OR BLUE LIGHTS ON THE FRONT OR BACK OF A VEHICLE. He gave me a warning ticket. I stopped by the State Police station and he said yes the county cop was correct but they would have never said anything to me about it. I now have it mounted on the side of the bike and am waiting to see if they stop me for that.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had the LED AMERICAN FLAG mount below my license plate. LOOKED GREAT and gave me more light for drivers to see me. THEN, I heard the siren and saw the blue lights. I was pulled over for illegal lighting and impersonating a police officer. No ADDITIONAL RED OR BLUE LIGHTS ON THE FRONT OR BACK OF A VEHICLE. He gave me a warning ticket. I stopped by the State Police station and he said yes the county cop was correct but they would have never said anything to me about it. I now have it mounted on the side of the bike and am waiting to see if they stop me for that.
Please explain to me how the LED American Flag is impersonating a police officer? You don’t happen to have headlight pulse installed. That’s the only thing I can think of that might in anyway make you look a police ?!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Sometimes you just cannot fix stupid. There has to be a common sense application to state/city/county codes. HTF is displaying a Red/Blue AMERICAN flag impersonating a police officer?

Any photos of the license plate mounting? I would keep running it and take the ticket to court. Remove it for court purposes but bring a picture of it mounted and removed. I would love to see what the Judges face looks like when he/she sees what a dumb a%# decision the officer made by writing the ticket. The code is to prohibit people from using the red/blue lights to stop people and commit crimes upon them. How in the heck can a Red/Blue Led AMERICAN flag mounted on the REAR of your motorcycle be used for that purpose?

I have been a police officer for 25 years and enforce traffic regularly from my police motor, I would never think to stop someone for that.

I wonder if he would stop you for this one? Killing me...

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think he used it for "probable cause"
had you been having "a few" before driving, this gave him reason to check you out.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Its possible but gotta tell ya I have never heard of anyone getting a DUI on a Goldwing or actually any Fatalities on a Goldwing in my large city. Now Harleys and Sport bikes, thats a different story. Hard to generalize but data is data.

I would hate to have my pc on a serious case hinge on a LED American flag.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nope, no drinking was involved. He said no blue or red additional lights can be added to the front or rear of a vehicle. This is what it looked like.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let’s focus on the thread..... lol

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
I agree with the officer. That is distracting.

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
932 Posts
Per the FMVSS, any motor vehicle on the road can only have white (forward or backward but only when in reverse), yellow (forward, side, rear), or red (rear) lights. Blue is verboten. Note that flashing patterns are also highly regulated, too, in terms of what can flash, when it can flash, and how it flashes.

The officer was wrong about the extra red lights, there are no restrictions there (other than they must not be visible from the side or front), but blue is completely out as it is reserved for police/emergency use.

If they state you are restricted from adding additional red lights in the rear, I'd ask to see a copy of the statute, because it is in conflict with the FMVSS and thus is wrong (FMVSS supercedes).

In your case, I would say the officer was correct about the blue, incorrect about the red, and missed the white. Having live white markers or lights in the rear and not being in reverse gear is not allowed, and blue is always out.

Reactions: michaelnel

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Sounds like a cop flexing his muscles! Pretty lame stop check & he needs to keep busier with REAL police work! ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok lets try ..... just the question about mounting a flag to the luggage rack....anyone?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts