GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
3,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be the last remaining Luddite on this board who didn’t know some of the advantages of LED bulb technology. I recognize the advantage of flashing brake lights to get the attention of inattentive drivers, and I’ve wished my Tailwind had them. I just assumed that it would require an expensive control module and a smart, talented installer.

While we were in Ohio for Boomer’s funeral my friend Jerry Wells (ssncob) followed my Tailwind just long enough that he decided to send me some new taillight bulbs that would flash three times when I applied the brakes. I did not know this was a “thing". I put one of the new bulbs in the left-hand side of the Tailwind, and left the right side alone to get a comparison. WOW! The flashing bulb gets my attention.

I videoed the difference and tried to post a 13 second informative video but it seems that our forum software doesn’t like the format on my iPhone. I would need to first go to youTube to convert it to a proper format, and then post it. I didn’t do that because when I go to the trouble to post a youTube video it is normally far more incriminating than a taillight video, so you’ll just have to take my word that these LED bulbs get the job done. Thanks, Jerry!

Glen

Reactions: ssncob and CAWing

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Your aren't the last one for sure. What were the lights and are they plug and play on both the bike and trailer? I tend to not pull my trailer all the time because it is so long hooked up it makes it hard to get to my workbench in the garage.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
I may be the last remaining Luddite on this board who didn’t know some of the advantages of LED bulb technology. I recognize the advantage of flashing brake lights to get the attention of inattentive drivers, and I’ve wished my Tailwind had them. I just assumed that it would require an expensive control module and a smart, talented installer.

While we were in Ohio for Boomer’s funeral my friend Jerry Wells (ssncob) followed my Tailwind just long enough that he decided to send me some new taillight bulbs that would flash three times when I applied the brakes. I did not know this was a “thing". I put one of the new bulbs in the left-hand side of the Tailwind, and left the right side alone to get a comparison. WOW! The flashing bulb gets my attention.

I videoed the difference and tried to post a 13 second informative video but it seems that our forum software doesn’t like the format on my iPhone. I would need to first go to youTube to convert it to a proper format, and then post it. I didn’t do that because when I go to the trouble to post a youTube video it is normally far more incriminating than a taillight video, so you’ll just have to take my word that these LED bulbs get the job done. Thanks, Jerry!

Glen
THATS WHY YOU GOT PROMOTED ON THE FORUM ! ONE OF THE EASIEST AND CHEAPEST WAY TO MAKE SAFER

·
Registered
897 Posts
I put flashing bulbs on my '08 1800 and they made a huge difference. I also swapped out for standard LED bulbs on my old CycleMate trailer ~7 years ago, but the brake lights are not all that bright. It's never been an issue because a person sitting in a car or on another Goldwing sit high enough to see my bike's tail lights. However, my brother-in-law followed us to Gatlinburg on his Harley and sat low enough that he couldn't see the bike's tail lights. I may have to check and see if the same flashing bulb will work in the trailer. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I happened to follow a wing near Byron Illinois going past the Nuclear power plant and his lights flashed from side to side. That got my attention even more than both sides flashing simultaneously. They did it three times then went solid. If anyone knows who makes that setup let me know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
How about a link to the actual bulbs Jerry sent you ?
a bunch of them on amazon but didn’t see any mention of them automatically flashing 3 times, adding to the confusion some say they might require adding a load resistor

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Are these a direct replacement for the tail lights on a 2006 GL1800?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes
Remove OEM bulbs and plug these in.
They do have a specific polarity so plug it in and try the brake before you button everything up.
If It doesn't work then take it out and plug it in the opposite direction.
Much brighter than the original bulbs also.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
As Cycledude said,
That link does not get you to Amazon. Only price crazy site. No link to Amazon, jsut something about prices.
Amazon does not show the flashing lights.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I happened to follow a wing near Byron Illinois going past the Nuclear power plant and his lights flashed from side to side. That got my attention even more than both sides flashing simultaneously. They did it three times then went solid. If anyone knows who makes that setup let me know.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Hi everybody.

For those with the newer flat base style 7443 bulbs used in the wing and some trailers, see the 7443 bulb picture.

Fir those with older trailers or bikes that use the older 2-pin round base 1157 bulbs, see the corresponding image.

I bought these off of ebay.com, links below.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Glockjock, welcome to the LED continuum!

I also added some Skene LED lights around my license plate to do those 3x, 4x flashes as I hit the brakes. Can also turn it off with a few squeezes of my brakes.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

Well Sir,
Contrary to what this thread is mostly about, I installed the Signal Dynamics Back Off, Brake Light Modulator within the first couple of months of ownership of our '08 Level II Wing, way back about 10 years ago. It's cost, at that time, was around $45 or so. And, it really wasn't all that hard to install. Me being a bit of a MacGyver, I took it one step farther. I created a junction block for the interface of each tail light and, each output of the Modulator.

By designing and installing that small junction block, I could control the Back Off Modulator's signal, and send each out put to any light I wanted. So, what that means is, by simply unscrewing a couple of screws, and switching either the output wires from the modulator or, the wires from the tail lights, I could create an X pattern, UP and DOWN pattern, SIDE to SIDE pattern etc. The switching of the wires would take me all of about 10 minutes due to the fact that I had this junction block UNDER the seat. So, the seat had to be removed and re-installed for any alteration of those wires. Needless to say, I didn't switch them very often but, on occasion, when the seat needed to come off for other maintenance or repairs, I'd switch the signal output to create a different brake light pattern, just for fun.
Scott

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts