GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hill Start Assist (HSA) light flashed once, at 2,000 miles. Dealer told me “don’t worry about it”. So I didn’t. Bike now as 16,000 miles on it. Today HSA light started flashing again. And every time I turned bike off /on, it stopped flashing for about 10 minutes. And then started flashing again.

I took a video of it flashing, and when I returned to my home town went to local dealer. Left bike on, showed the service manager the HSA flashing light. He did not even know what it was! So I explained it to him, and suggested that he shoot a video of it so that he could contact Honda and start a warranty claim. He said no, I would have to make an appointment, one of his techs would have to ride my bike until the light flashed, and then he could pull “live codes”. I said “well my bike is flashing NOW – how about pulling codes NOW”. He says no, I only have 2 techs and am too busy. I say “aren’t the codes stored?” He says “no, they get erased every time you turn off the bike”. I am thinking to myself BS (but I may be wrong?). So I say “how about later in the week, when the HSA is flashing again – I call you, and if you are not too busy I come in and you pull the live codes” and again he says NO, you must make an appointment, one of my techs must ride your bike until it flashes, and THEN I will pull the codes. By this time I am totally turned off by this ignorant, arrogant service manager and leave.

I get home and call the next Honda dealer closest to me. Speak to the service department. Turns out they have already dealt with mother Honda doing the flashing HSA fix and know all about it. Told me that most likely that the error codes will be stored and don’t have to pulled “live”. But regardless, told me that just my word is good enough for them to start a warranty claim. They said if the HSA is flashing when I bring the bike in, so much the better. But if not, not to worry about it. And they said not necessary to show them my video – my word is good enough. Because, really – why would I lie about this? What benefit to me to try and get a working HSA fixed?

My local Dealer will never get a penny of my business again. Warranty work or otherwise.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
My bike had the HSA flashing light. Honda told the dealer to replace the clutch, cruise control, front brake and rear brake switches. I've got over 2000 miles since the fix and no flashing HSA light since the warranty repair.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mine had the same issues. Had the warranty fix applied, (i.e. switches replaced). Still comes on and flashes occasionally, just not as frequent as before.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
No issues whatsoever(knock on wood)

Unfortunately there are some crappy dealers out there
As there are good dealers also

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well don't keep everyone in the dark who is this local dealer that has treated you so badly. I always like to say when something like this happens " I won't tell anybody but everyone I know and all forums on the web" . BTW my bike was doing the same thing, my dealer replaced the switches others here has posted and not a single problem with the HSA light since.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well don't keep everyone in the dark who is this local dealer that has treated you so badly. I always like to say when something like this happens " I won't tell anybody but everyone I know and all forums on the web" . BTW my bike was doing the same thing, my dealer replaced the switches others here has posted and not a single problem with the HSA light since.
I prefer not to put the dealer's name in writing. But for those who really want to know, PM me with your phone # and I will call you and gladly tell you their name.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may also be worth it (IMHO) that you call the first dealer and educate them.
When I first met with the service manager I tried to educate him. I
  1. Told him what the Flashing light was / meant
  2. Told him what the fix was (replace various switches)
  3. Told him Honda knew about this (had fixed various forum member's bikes for quite some time already)
He remained fixated on his stance "must bring bike in, my tech must drive bike until HSA flash repeats, so then I can pull live codes".
Sorry, but I do not want some Junior tech (which is what they have) joy riding my bike until light flashes.
I choose to take my bike to dealer that has already dealt with the problem, and will pull code(s) immediately when I bring bike in and open warranty claim.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
When my bike had the flashing HSA light I recorded it with my phone and then let the dealer see the video. My dealer ordered the parts before I took the bike in after viewing the video.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When my bike had the flashing HSA light I recorded it with my phone and then let the dealer see the video. My dealer ordered the parts before I took the bike in after viewing the video.
Wish I had your dealer! I have video on my phone, drove in with light flashing, and jerk of svc mgr still wants me to make future appointment so his tech can ride my bike until light flashes again so he can pull "live codes" that he can submit to Honda before he can order parts. I will gladly go 20 miles out of my way this week to deal with dealer (that I mentioned in above thread) that hopefully will treat me like yours did.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Manassas Honda in VA is my dealer, and they are beyond excellent. I purchased my 2018 GWT6 from them last February.

HSA came on at about 5,200 miles. Warranty replaced both clutch micro-switches. 1,100 miles later, HSA began flashing again. This time warranty replaced the clutch lever (all hardware) and the clutch master cylinder. Still testing, but after about 160 miles, all seems to be OK. I've been using HSA to test it, but otherwise would probably never use it. This thread is the first one I've read that mentions replacing the cruise control. I'll continue to monitor, and if HSA starts to flash again (I hope not!) I'll suggest the cruise control as an optional fix.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Manassas Honda in VA is my dealer, and they are beyond excellent. I purchased my 2018 GWT6 from them last February.

HSA came on at about 5,200 miles. Warranty replaced both clutch micro-switches. 1,100 miles later, HSA began flashing again. This time warranty replaced the clutch lever (all hardware) and the clutch master cylinder. Still testing, but after about 160 miles, all seems to be OK. I've been using HSA to test it, but otherwise would probably never use it. This thread is the first one I've read that mentions replacing the cruise control. I'll continue to monitor, and if HSA starts to flash again (I hope not!) I'll suggest the cruise control as an optional fix.
I think the cruise control mentioned previously was the cruise micro switch which is one of the 2 micro switches at the clutch lever. If you have gone 160 miles with no issue - that is not enough. I went 4 months without the flashing light and then it started again. Not sure about the rest on here but mine is heat related. Whenever I am riding and the temp gets over 85F or the bike is parked in a hot sun..... the light will start flashing. Riding in normal temps - no flashing.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hill Start Assist (HSA) light flashed once, at 2,000 miles. Dealer told me “don’t worry about it”. So I didn’t. Bike now as 16,000 miles on it. Today HSA light started flashing again. And every time I turned bike off /on, it stopped flashing for about 10 minutes. And then started flashing again.

I took a video of it flashing, and when I returned to my home town went to local dealer. Left bike on, showed the service manager the HSA flashing light. He did not even know what it was! So I explained it to him, and suggested that he shoot a video of it so that he could contact Honda and start a warranty claim. He said no, I would have to make an appointment, one of his techs would have to ride my bike until the light flashed, and then he could pull “live codes”. I said “well my bike is flashing NOW – how about pulling codes NOW”. He says no, I only have 2 techs and am too busy. I say “aren’t the codes stored?” He says “no, they get erased every time you turn off the bike”. I am thinking to myself BS (but I may be wrong?). So I say “how about later in the week, when the HSA is flashing again – I call you, and if you are not too busy I come in and you pull the live codes” and again he says NO, you must make an appointment, one of my techs must ride your bike until it flashes, and THEN I will pull the codes. By this time I am totally turned off by this ignorant, arrogant service manager and leave.

I get home and call the next Honda dealer closest to me. Speak to the service department. Turns out they have already dealt with mother Honda doing the flashing HSA fix and know all about it. Told me that most likely that the error codes will be stored and don’t have to pulled “live”. But regardless, told me that just my word is good enough for them to start a warranty claim. They said if the HSA is flashing when I bring the bike in, so much the better. But if not, not to worry about it. And they said not necessary to show them my video – my word is good enough. Because, really – why would I lie about this? What benefit to me to try and get a working HSA fixed?

My local Dealer will never get a penny of my business again. Warranty work or otherwise.
UPDATE ON HSA PROBLEM

Well after much deliberation, I decided not to travel out of my way to the “next dealer”, but rather to use my local dealer. And about 6 weeks ago made an appointment to bring bike in for the flashing HSA light. By the time I brought my bike in the front brakes were “grating” every time I stopped.

Much to my surprise, when I brought the bike in, the service manager told me he had already ordered 3 micro switches from Honda (see post # 9 above, I had tried to educate him previously). Less than a week later (things were delayed, labor day weekend) he called me and said HSA was fixed. Replaced 1 or more micro switches. Did not elaborate. I did not ask. BUT – he said my front brake pads were down to metal. Said when the HSA was malfunctioning, the brakes were constantly ON! Therefore the “grating” I was hearing. And then he quoted me labor and parts for front brakes. I said “shouldn’t that be covered under warranty” since the malfunctioning HSA caused the premature brake wear? He said Honda would not cover a normal wear item (brakes). I pressed the issue and he said he would present my case to Honda. Lo and behold he got Honda to cover the brake job under warranty. But he had to order the brake pads from Honda – another 5 business days. Oh well, the temperature here in Florida was in the mid 90’s and I did not really want to ride that week.

Got my bike back a week later. Now a thousand miles or so later all is good so far. No more HSA flashing. Hopefully for good. And for those of you in Central Florida, I do not hesitate to recommend Honda of Melbourne for warranty work. They certainly seem to know what they are doing!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
my dealer was great....tested all switches as per Honda Canada's direction...it was the cruise control switch, part ordered, replaced in 10 minutes....no issues in over 2,000 km

·
Registered
432 Posts
KW Honda in Waterloo, Ontario did a fine job of replacing the clutch & cruise micro switches and getting me in and out in 15 minutes. They also took my word that it was flashing and didn't need the bike to see for themselves. They also had the switches in stock so no delay. My issue as I previously had stated in this thread seemed to be heat related. Would only flash when the bike was parked in hot sun or was a very hot day. Since having the switches replaced a month ago and 2,000 km's - it has not flashed. And that was with the bike showing a temperature of up to 44 degrees C when parked in the hot sun. Before it would have been flashing for sure. So the last time it flashed was early April in Florida. Keeping my fingers crossed ......

·
Registered
72 Posts
If your problem has been solved, then this is pointless information, but I can tell you as one of the 1st few that experienced this problem, the key to getting it solved was CONSTANT pressure with North American Honda. I had to call them a lot. I can say when Mother Honda starts riding the dealer AND THEY DO!!! stuff starts happening. I had a great dealer, who eventually sent a truck and trailer the last 2x 4 hrs round trip to get the bike to work on it.

If you look up the HSA problem or look up my posts on the topic, you can see the whole story. It seems they have the word out now that the micro switches are culprit. I know in my case they did all 4 to avoid any further inconvenience to me and to keep Mother Honda satisfied.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the hill start assist on the manual clutch models or only on dct models? I have a 2018 manual b model 9600 miles and just today has light is flashing amber ..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is the hill start assist on the manual clutch models or only on dct models? I have a 2018 manual b model 9600 miles and just today has light is flashing amber ..
Don't know if HSA is on DCT models (I have manual). BUT - don't wait to get it fixed. See my #14 post above. I waited too long (first time @ 16,000 miles) and HSA malfunction destroyed my front brakes. Fortunately Honda covered the brake repair under warranty.

A few months ago HSA failed again for second time (bike @ 31,000 miles). Took bike to dealer, new service manager who is really good (Frank, Honda of Melbourne FL). He immediately coordinated with Honda Tech Line and replaced the cruise control micro switch (don't know what switch(s) were replaced first time). Have since put 3,000 miles on bike and so far so good. Hopefully I am done with HSA failures - twice is enough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts