GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flashing your lights is illegal, Florida Highway Patrol said.

Claiming no such law exists, Campbell, 38, of Land O’Lakes, got angry. Now he wants to get even: He filed a lawsuit on behalf of every other driver in Florida ticketed for the same violation over the past six years, accusing police of misinterpreting state law and violating motorists’ free speech rights.

“This is a pattern, and it has mostly to do with frustrated police officers who feel they were disrespected,” Campbell said. “When someone comes along and rats them out, they take offense to it.”

Capt. Mark Welch, a spokesman for the FHP, cited a law that says “flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles” except for turn signals. Welch said he could not comment in detail because of the pending legal case.

Campbell and his attorney, J. Marc Jones of Oviedo, say police are misinterpreting a law that’s meant to ban drivers from having strobe lights in their cars or official-looking blue police lights.

Soon after Campbell sued the state, the Highway Patrol on Aug. 29 ordered all troopers to stop issuing tickets to motorists who use headlights as a signal to other drivers.

“You are directed to suspend enforcement action for this type of driver behavior,” said the memo from Grady Garrick, acting deputy director of patrol operations.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Campbell is right... and the cops that applied this should be disciplined.

·
Registered
38 Posts
How about a code section or a link to the code?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
headlight flash....

Next, it will be illegal to pat your helmet......that is "claimed" to be illegal.... Flashing headlights mean a well of a lot more than "cop ahead". More often than "cop ahead" it means one of these: It means "come on over, your clear". It means, "hay, you idiot passing in my lane, can't you see me!!!!!" It means "hey slow poke, move over to the right where you are supposed to be instead of the fast lane." It means "turn your lights on, it is dark out." It means "hey, I need to pull over, I don't have a radio to tell the group what is up..." There are possibly a few others, but those are the most common.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Next, it will be illegal to pat your helmet......that is "claimed" to be illegal.... Flashing headlights mean a well of a lot more than "cop ahead".
It could also mean:

"If I am flashing my headlight AND while doing so an Officer gets me at 2 over the speed limit I should be ticketed for speeding".

I will guarantee that is what you will see taking place. Stop an LEO from writing a guy for intentionally hitting oncoming traffic with high beams? Fine. If you're even two over the limit while "flashing", you will likely be on the receiving end of a speeding ticket.

And before complaing, the Supreme Court has already ruled that 1 over IS Speeding and subject to citation.

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
Baloney. It would be a rare traffic court judge or justice of the peace who would fine a motorist for one or two miles per hour over the speed limit. It is much more likely the jp or judge would dismiss the ticket.

Traffic court judges and justices of the peace are usually elected officials who wish to keep their jobs or move up.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
My philosophy is that if there is such a lack of real crime such as theft assault rape murder etc. that the cops have time to do traffic detail all day then it is time to lay off some cops.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Baloney. It would be a rare traffic court judge or justice of the peace who would fine a motorist for one or two miles per hour over the speed limit. It is much more likely the jp or judge would dismiss the ticket.

Traffic court judges and justices of the peace are usually elected officials who wish to keep their jobs or move up.
You obviously have never been in a municipal court. They do it all the time. As well as make up laws as they go.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
My philosophy is that if there is such a lack of real crime such as theft assault rape murder etc. that the cops have time to do traffic detail all day then it is time to lay off some cops.
My philosophy is that officers should start enforcing the smaller, but dangerous, violations much, much more. When they constantly get away with 10mph over, running stop signs, failure to yield, tail gating, illegal lighting, etc., etc., they feel free to make up there own RIGHTS.
Taking out the small time criminals teaches respect for all laws. But must be enforced properly and with some compassion.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It could also mean:

"If I am flashing my headlight AND while doing so an Officer gets me at 2 over the speed limit I should be ticketed for speeding".

I will guarantee that is what you will see taking place. Stop an LEO from writing a guy for intentionally hitting oncoming traffic with high beams? Fine. If you're even two over the limit while "flashing", you will likely be on the receiving end of a speeding ticket.

And before complaing, the Supreme Court has already ruled that 1 over IS Speeding and subject to citation.
Sounds like your taking it personal! And that is the wrong way to do your job.....if your a cop! If you always have, and will pull someone over for that one mile over is fine, but to do it because someone got their hand slapped is wrong and you need to find another line of work. if you can't control yourself in something this minor, I would hate to see this officer under pressure! jmho

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm

Headlight modulators are legal in every state. They flash the headlights by design.
First modulation isn't flashing. The light stays on. But I will add that some can be extremely irritating which makes them dangerous.
I like the way an 1800 can modulate the highs while the lows are on. That getts attention without irritation. But having the only headlight modulate, especially the high beam, is very very dangerous.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm

Yes headlight modulators are legal in every state. They flash the headlights by design.
A point of definition here.
Yes, modulators are legal. Modulate being the key word. They don't flash, which means switching on/off.
This is the second time this story has been posted here with no links/references to actual Uniform Traffic Code(s) that were being cited on the tickets being issued, nor any links/videos to actual news reports.
As stated before, if Florida is the same as Indiana, a reference to the traffic code violated must be shown on the ticket.
Would really like to see something rather than just an unsubstaniated posting.
Here's what I found and the link to it:
Florida state statute indicates that "flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway".[23] This has been used as a basis for issuing a moving violation with a $90 fine to drivers who flash their headlights to warn oncoming drivers of speed traps; some police and at least one journalist believes that the law applied to those who manually flash their high beams. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight_flashing
I do not wish to insult the OP, I just want to see some kind of info that supports this story is actually happening.
Thank you

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
sounds like your taking it personal! And that is the wrong way to do your job.....if your a cop! If you always have, and will pull someone over for that one mile over is fine, but to do it because someone got their hand slapped is wrong and you need to find another line of work. If you can't control yourself in something this minor, i would hate to see this officer under pressure! Jmho
plus one

cops say they are our there to slow people down but get pi$$ed when someone trys to help

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
...state statute indicates that "flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway"....
Just curious, don't school busses in Florida have white strobe (flashing) lights on their roofs? They do in KY. Also I've seen wreckers, state vehicles, and utility vehicles with flashing lights in operation while they are moving.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
It could also mean:

One or two miles per hour over the posted speed limit is well within the margin of error on the majority of speedometers and should be dismissed by any sane Municipal Judge or JP. Key word here is "sane".

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Just curious, don't school busses in Florida have white strobe (flashing) lights on their roofs? They do in KY. Also I've seen wreckers, state vehicles, and utility vehicles with flashing lights in operation while they are moving.
They also do in Indiana. This is made legal by State Statute and has nothing to do w/what is being discussed. I am now also seeing school busses w/WigWag headlamps and modulating headlamps activated while the busses are stopped and loading/unloading. Again legal but not what is being discussed here, IMHO

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I thought a lot of them were called "Traffic Cops"
Meaning that their primary Job is Traffic enforcement? :shrug:

·
Registered
482 Posts
It all just goes back to the old Police code:
Hook em, book em and forget em!

I worked traffic for many years and could care less about someone flashing their headlights. Never sat that long in one place anyway.

Still back to square one: Don't want to risk a citation, very simple...Do what you make your kids do; obey the rules!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts