GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trailer arrived. The Rally Wagon.

It is an import and is sold by several vendors on line. I am pondering some mods for it. I am going to light it up more with some additional running lights, a strobe LED brake bar and two LED poles for some heads up visibility.

I wonder if I should beef it up a bit as well. Does anyone own one? If so what has been your experience with the suspension?

Took it out for some abuse this morning (in hunt of every pot hole and washboard patch I could find as well as some speed testing) pulls and tracks fine but only time will tell.

Would be very interested to hear about anyone's personal or second hand experience with this trailer.

Do not want to get down the road and bunngie the dog to the front forks.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my main worry

Think this suspension and its attachment set up will stand the test of time?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with a torsion bar suspension.

Never owned one, but think they are lighter, quieter and easily maintained compared to springs.

Since you live where you live, you might consider an annual inspection of all things on the bottom of the trailer.

I also like LED lighting and hope you tastefully add lighting. I like to light it sideways and downward (facing the ground) to help other drivers keep an eye on me.

I read a story where a rider lost his alternator while on a trip. He went into a good, local parts house and bought a large automotive battery and some 10 gauge wiring. He placed the battery on his trailer and wired the battery into the bike and was able to drive home for two days on the battery after charging at night in the motel room.

What are your plans for luggage on the trailer? Actually, you don't have size constraints. You can pack luggage head high if you choose. As long as the weight is reasonable and wind resistance is low, your good to go!

You don't have security when your out of sight either.

What was your cost after shipping?

Thanks,

Ronnie

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
torsin/GL1800 frame/cost of wagon/and hauling the kitchen sink

The main load will be my 50lb springer spaniel and a few extras for the significant other so she will be more inclined to go on more of my longer trips.

I am also considering building a support ramp for my Honda 919 so I can tow her down to some track day events in the lower 48. Might be pushing it here as she weighs in at just under 500lbs. Open to words of caution or advice here.

Locally it will be used for the Cost-Co run and weekend camping trips and you just know I am going to have to use it to pick up the next refrigerator I purchase just because! Will post them photos if that happens anytime soon.

I have zero experience with torsin suspensions. I am seriously considering bringing a spare? I refitted the zerk fitting for easier access for the wheel bearing.

However where the rubber packing is stuffed inside the main body arm gives me concern? Can you repack them or is it start over time when they start getting too worn out, does anyone know?

As per the price I got it up here for just under $1.4 K but I had to drop ship it to a barge line in Seattle first. I think in the lower 48 you could get it to the door for around 1K.

A side question. I was poking around on this site last night (I just joined up and wish I would have years ago) there was a gentleman who was a former aircraft engineer, I believe, and he had some serious concerns about the new GL1800 frame being too brittle for some of the loads trailers transfer to the frame compared to the GL1500 frames. The wing can take more abuse than any bike I have owned but I was wondering if there are any cracked frame stories (other than the recalls) out there concerning the GL1800 frame.

I am going to take a run in August down to Minnesota and then out to California then back up so we will see how this new trailer does.

In the meantime definitely looking for advice and any opinions on this trailer set up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If the torsion units do wear out or simply age, you can bolt new units in place.

As far as heavier loads, attach the trailer to your truck or something besides your bike and stand on the back of the trailer. Jump up and down and see how far your wheels travel up and down. Torsion axles come in different ratings, just like springs, and certainly have limits.

I haven't been there in a while, but look around at WWW.SOUTHWESTWHEEL.COM and look at the various offerings of torsion axles and trailers and stuff in general.

Something basic to remember about trailer loads. Keep the load centered and low to the ground. If you get that load up high, it creates leverage on the tongue that transfers directly to the bike frame.

During braking, the weight shifts forward and creates high tongue weights and pushs the rear tire downward and lifts the front tire, maybe enough to unload it.

Accelaration is the opposite. The weight shifts rearward and lifts the tongue, lifting the rear wheel and possibly unloading it.

I hope that helps.

Take pictures when you can.

Ronnie

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
half torsion axel

Thanks Ronnie. That is a Good source. Looks like I can get a pair of half torsion axles for under three bills.

Think I might do just that and make sure they bolt on just right and leave them in box on the ship in case of SNAFU shelf.

Will definitely add some peace of mind knowing I can have a friend ship me a new suspension from home if I got into trailer problems.

They also look like the could make a truly from the ground up home built plan come together much eaiser than springs.

Might have to build me an ultra low rider trailer to pull the 919.

I will keep a photo log of the Rally Wagon's first true journey comeing up.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
A side question. I was poking around on this site last night (I just joined up and wish I would have years ago) there was a gentleman who was a former aircraft engineer, I believe, and he had some serious concerns about the new GL1800 frame being too brittle for some of the loads trailers transfer to the frame compared to the GL1500 frames. The wing can take more abuse than any bike I have owned but I was wondering if there are any cracked frame stories (other than the recalls) out there concerning the GL1800 frame.
The 01 to mid 04 models have frame crack issues with the frame tubing in the rear triangle of the frame behind the passenger floorboard. Honda redesigned that area of the frame to correct that frame issue, and there have been no problems...at least reported on this forum...... with the redesigned frame used with the late 04 and up models.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good to hear

Very good to hear that from a someone who knows metal.

Thanks for the input Roadie.

I am dreaming up new plans for the new tow a bike with a bike trailer already.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I really like the looks of this trailer. Did a little research and found out that Road Dog made the orginal Rally Wagon and the owner was unhappy about the builder of the trailer pictured. He said it was a piece of Chinese junk. Said he was getting calls from people who bought it wanting him to fix it.
Like I said, I like the looks of the trailer, but only saw pictures on ebay. Google Road Dog Trailers and see his Rally Wagon and then make up your own mind.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good clarification

Yup the one I bought if definitely made in China and must be assembled
And is NOT the Road Dog one.

The online middlemen must have see a hole in their copyright on the name.

Anyway, I can see pro and con to both. Very similar price range.

It is very basic and nothing I am seeing thus far will take more than a drill and rivet gun to fix.

The big unknown is the quality of the torsin suspension.
I do get the gut feeling it is not up to the highest of standards.
That all being said, I like the concept and thus far less than 250 miles it rides and tracks well.

Thanks to a post above I think I am going to get a spare half axel torsin
set and if needed they are there. If not I might play around with them on another
project.

And you are indeed CORRECT. THIS IS AN IMPORT AND NOT THE Road Dog one.

With any luck someone with one of those will chime in too. The flat bed wagon fits my needs perfectly.

Will be interesting to see how mine holds up.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flat bed wagon trailer

I will contact the site and see if they can change the title to this thread to FLAT BED WAGON Trailers as to prevent a vendor and or manufacturer war.

And for the record I have no affiliations with any trailer manufacturer or vendors.

Any suggestions on who to email at this site to get this name confusion sorted out.

Just registered up a few days ago to get some advice.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Keep us posted on this trailer. Like I said, I really like the concept and the price isn't bad either. I don't take a lot of long distance trips and like the idea of being able to throw my fishing pole and tackle box in the trailer and head for the lake. You can't do that with one of the enclosed trailers.
I am very interested in how happy you are with the trailer.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will do

Just figured out how to contact admin put in a request for title or thread change to Flat Bed Wagon Type Trailers. Hopefully that will prevent any flare ups with vendors or manufactures.

Will do with the road reports on my flat bed wagon.
After all nothing comes in more handy for caring the load than a flat bed.
I got two of them now…

Attachments

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spaghetti fun and a cocktail or two…or three….

Well I split it all down the middle and I am going to wait on the strobe brake bar until I see how my 5 to 4 converter box holds up. Anyway, added a few extra running lights on the sides two LED flag poles on the rear also a simply running light brake bar and two additional turn running lights on the rear.

Still am going to instal some eyebolts for custom tie downs when my new kennel cover arrives so i can put them in the exact right location.

If the trailer performs on my AK to MN to CA trip I am going to get diabolical this winter and get busy and rewire the whole deal to 5 wire and incorporate a programmable strobe running light/brake/turn bar on the rear and incorporate turn signal function to side lights as well as a power source to warm the dog kennel and might even give the pooch air conditioning if I can figure that out. That will have to do until he can afford his own bike LOL, could trick it out with a sound system of various animal sounds like grizzly bear gone wild, and caged tiger but will have to have a few drinks and think on that. But it would be fun.
I also think I might incorporate two Givi side cases that lock and two detachable long gun cases. That ought to round it all out nicely I think.

Here is how I rigged up my spaghetti adapter from a 5 to 4 system photo below of converter box.

Not the prettiest job but If the “box” stands the test of time I will wire it in and hide the box up with the wires under the back fender until I rewire to full on 5.

I am pretty sure this is not exactly how a professional would do it...But it got the job done and the extra leads are for a future strobe bar that I can program plus one allowing my “extra” added turn lights to allow full break light on both sides to function while turning signals or flashers are on with brake at the same time. This will all change when I go to full 5.

All in with the extra lights and poles it was just over $80 bucks, two zip ties, a half roll of electrical tape, and just the right amount of cocktails project.

Fun was had and some lessons learned for next time. If you click on the thumbnail photos they are a little easier to see.

Next time i will rewire the trailer to 5 wire from the start but this was a learning curve project and I think I am dangerous enough now to get more creative this winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I believe Bushrec is now manufacturing a similar trailer,flat,open with tube sides. I saw one during the factory tour from Wing Ding and have since seen that they are now making them. I don't think it is as big as the one pictured here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yup, I think I'm gonna buy one of these. The open top concept just makes more sense for what I'll be using it for. Thanks for the update, keep em coming. And for sure lets us know if you have any quality issues. It just beats the hell out of me how the Chinese can make something and ship it to the US that much cheaper than one made here. Next time you see a union member, thank him/her for sending all the manufacturing jobs out of the US.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Think this suspension and its attachment set up will stand the test of time?

Just me, and maybe where you are; AK = bad Roads,,,:?
I would think about replacing the bolts with good Grade 8 bolts, and use Red Lock Tite on the lock nuts also.. Those 5's are good but not as good as the 8's, and cheap insurance. If you do decide to change them, replace them one at a time and torque them down to maintain the alignment.
A good lookin rig, and can be used for many applications....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Section168, you will have to set the camber and caster on each torsion axle. I had to do it when I put my Piggy Backer together. If you don't, your tires may not wear even. It should be in the assembly manual. Here are the instructions that came with mine. You can use washers of a different thickness to set the camber if you don't have shims

Attachments

·
Banned
3 Posts
my concerns would be are the tires and wheels DOT approved for highway speeds and if so what speed rating, as we all do sometimes push the speed limits a little. I for one have pulled my trailer over 100mph but know that my wheels and tires are made to handle it, (I know there is always that one time that can get ya) here is the one I built

Attachments

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well Cowboy0707 this is still a buyer beware deal but I think it will be some fun to give this trailer a test run and see. I would not get your hopes up about any service from the “dealers”. I wrote the guy I got mine from last week asking if he sold replacement half torsion axels for it and got no response. This is definitely a wait and see deal I think. I will do on the updates. Hopefully they will be mostly good and not much bad or ugly. I too like the styling of this trailer and it is also perfect lay out for my needs.

Cowboy26a. Thank you very much I did not do that and I will before I take off.. No such instructions in fact none came with mine. It was a full assembly deal.

I did use locktite KJ51X but the upgrade bolt suggestion is definitely with merit. Might just do that and go buy some stainless 8’s and swap them out.

Indeed Cdwebster. The tires are definitely suspect. They even just plain look a bit suspect. I know a guy that used to work in a tire plant in Iowa and he has told me some stories. The wheels I must say though look pretty decent mechanically from my laymen’s eye and I do like their aesthetics. I am sure they are not DOT speed tested let alone approved. But I did that myself and well as my avatar photo shows I had to pay a "track user" fee for doing it. He could have givin me a no tags as of yet fee too but let me slide on that. I put some fast and washboard miles on it over a few days stoping frequetely and things did not heat up or shake loose. But the open road is another story yet to be seen with this rig.

No spare tire also and when I pick that up I might swap out the rubber or I might just Wing it and if I get any bad vibes (hopefully not literally) just switch um out on the road if need be. My dog likes a good run to town anyway if need be.

Thanks for the suggestions all and I am all ears with any more you might have.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts