Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never had a Flat tire

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I am running a runflat tire on the rear I still carry my repair kit and pump for the front tire. In my 40+ years of bikes I have never had a flat front tire on the road or have I known anyone that has had a flat front on the road. It seems like it is always the rear tire??? Sooo.... I was just wondering how many of you have had flats on your front tire while on the road? Perhaps one day we will have a runflat for the front too!

You may choose more than one if you have had flats on front and back.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
what pump do you carry

Getting CIG lighter installed, 5 amp, what pump should I haul with me.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Getting CIG lighter installed, 5 amp, what pump should I haul with me.
Most air pumps pull 10amps. Do not plug them into a cig. lighter plug, it will just blow the 5amp fuse. Hook it up directly to the battery. I have a plug that my battery tender plugs into with a 10amp fuse on it that I plug my Slime air pump into.

Have has both front and rear flats. Rear was a blowout and was quite a eye opener. Front was a puncture in a BT45 and air went out in a few seconds. Plugged with a rope plug with rubber cement that got me home.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've never had a front go flat, but a riding buddy of mine had a valve stem separate on his 1500. I had an extra metal stem with me so we broke it down ons one side of the tire, replaced the valve stem and pumped it up with the compressor on his bike

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use the cheapo slime pump from Walmart but I run it off of my heated vest 15 amp cord. I have an adapter that I plug into the cord then plug the pump into that. The vest cords are wired direct to the battery.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I have been riding for 50 years and have had at least a dozen flats on rear tires and only two of front tires. Most of the flats I've had were on tires with tubes. Since riding mostly on tubeless tires, I've had about four flats, one in the front from a huge nail.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The Wing handles remarkably well with a flat front. Heavy two-up I drove 7 miles with a flat front, limiting speed to 25mph to get to a gas station with a pump because my stripped down 12v pump was dead. The beads stay seated and the tire finished its full service life.

prs

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have a plug that my battery tender plugs into with a 10amp fuse on it that I plug my Slime air pump into.

Yep same here ran the plug to the small passenger storage compartment under the rear speaker on the battery side...
power plug.jpg

... and not flats on front yet but a couple on the rear.

Somehow the pic is sideways after uploading it.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I had my first flat about a month ago-- rear. Rode my rf about 30 miles to a ace to get a new tire.

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
Never had a flat. Had a nail removed from the back

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Wing handles remarkably well with a flat front. Heavy two-up I drove 7 miles with a flat front, limiting speed to 25mph to get to a gas station with a pump because my stripped down 12v pump was dead. The beads stay seated and the tire finished its full service life.

prs
That's reassuring! Glad to hear I can do that if the air lets loose. Hopefully I can patch and pump it where it sits.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I have had a couple of rear flats.
I do have a friend that had a flat front. The valve stem sheared off.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I thought we were just talking about the GL1800 so didn't mark the front. I think I've only had 2 or 3 flats on fronts over the years, on the rear I had one on the GL1800, but if I counted all I've had over the years it would be a good 50 of them. Good old tube type tires, fond memories there. Very few on tubeless wheels. I've had 2 flats in 2 consecutive days 2000 miles from home. Kind of puts a damper on the vacation enjoyment. Thankfully tubeless has really done wonders to minimize flat tires but I too have a run flat car tire for next change. I'm not comfortable in 100 degrees riding 80mph with 3" of rounded tire profile contacting the road on a 1250LB motorcycle with 2 up riding down the interstate.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
The closest thing (so far) was when I opened the garage and noticed a screw between the tread blocks of my [redacted] rear tire.

I removed the screw, put in a Dynaplug, aired it up and it has several thousand miles since.

Do Imaginary Flats at the end of a 1000 mile day count?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a crack pipe (yes a small metal crack drug pipe with burnt mesh in the end that tested positive for cocaine) cause a flat rear tire on Police Road King in 2000. Ironic huh! Guys at Harley shop got big laugh out of that one.

I had a nail cause a front flat tire on my first Goldwing around 2005.

Some kind of industrial staples flattened both tires of my FZ-1 when I was selling it in 2012.

Put a new front tire on current wing when I bought it just over year ago cause it was worn out. Nail went through the new front tire the first week riding so the new tire replaced .
YES I WAS

Big damn bolt flattened that front tire a month ago so now I have ANOTHER new front tire. YES I AM STILL

I have had more than my share of motorcycle tire problems and paid way more than my share of $$$$ for tires. Road King was not out of my pocket though.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I have never had a motorcycle tire go flat on the road. I have picked up nails and other puncturing crap on the road, but discovered it upon inspection after stopping and lost no air. Always the rear tire, never the front. I avoid the right edge of the road like it had the plague.

I have a sports car that has assymetric tires front/rear (the back ones are wider) and no spare. It has had two flats, both on the rear, but I have TPMS and roadside assistance that furnishes a flatbed towtruck.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've had two flats, first was on the front on a tubed tire at about 50mph, that one came close to crashing.

Next was 20+ years later on the rear of my Yamaha R1. Picked up a screw in the rear tire. Rode up a mountain pass and the bike was getting progressively squirrelly Finally stopped, saw the screw and limped back to a gas station about eight miles away, go there with 8psi in the tire. Fixed that one with a rope plug and air at the gas station.

This past weekend Paciia (Mark) and I stopped to help another rider. He had two punctures. I had wired two power outlets through my Eastern Beaver PC8, one in the left saddle bag and the other in the trunk, both on 15 amp fuses (I think).

We fixed both of his punctures, with a sticky rope repair kit, and with the small compressor, I carry, aired his tire up to 40psi in about 3 minutes.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far it looks like the front tire is the problem less than 20% of the time. Now I wonder why that is since it's the first tire to meet the culprit object in the road?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts