GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to stir anything up, but what specifically causes flat spots to develop on the outer bands of a rear tire? I've got less than 8K on OEM D250 and do not scrap the pegs or anything even close to that. My pressure checks always show 41 psi. Also, is there a danger in riding with a tire like this? There is plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Hate to stir anything up, but what specifically causes flat spots to develop on the outer bands of a rear tire? I've got less than 8K on OEM D250 and do not scrap the pegs or anything even close to that. My pressure checks always show 41 psi. Also, is there a danger in riding with a tire like this? There is plenty of tread left.
Most all tires cup. OEM dunflops are really bad about cupping. It doesn't hurt anything to ride on cupped tires. They will be noisy in turns, but nothing dangerous.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yes to what JohnACman said. I just turned over 8200 miles on mine and they sing when you lean either to the right or the left of center, and if the road is crowned , they sing even then. A friend got about 13000 out of his original set but said that they could have been ridden farther but he was planning a long trip up to Canada and didn't want to have to change tires on the road.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Never had anyother motorcycle tire cup outside the GL1800. Traxxion solves this and improves the handling

·
Registered
504 Posts
Never had anyother motorcycle tire cup outside the GL1800. Traxxion solves this and improves the handling
Say what??? Every bike I've ever had cupped the tires to some extent... Craziest looking cupping was on knobby tires... LOL

·
Registered
806 Posts
Same here had 3 Kawi Voyager 12s and every one of them cupped the tires. The BS is getting deep around here.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
I''ve been using Dyna Beads and I have "0" cupping after 15,000 miles so far on my Stone front tire. I also have kept the air at 38psi.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I have some lead shot BB's laying around....if I put two ounces in each tire it should feel like floating on air?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I used to be in the auto tire business and anytime we saw cupping it was a result of the tire being out of balance. Think about it when you get a new tire it is usually balanced. Then you ride on it and slowly leave the rubber on the road. It's called tire wear and if it didn't occur the tire would never wear out. After any length of time the tire will change weight because of the wear. The wheel weights don't lose weight so you can see where I'm going with this? If you don't balance your wheels about every 1000 miles they are out of balance. Some more than others but they are out of balance. They start hopping and that's where the cupping comes from. They don't have to be out of balance enough for you to even feel it unless you do most of your riding on glass and we don't have glass roads around here that I know of. Ok poor attempt at humor. ONce the cupping starts it will not go away even if you do re-balance the tires. Just the nature of the beast. You will extend the life of the tire by balancing them often but the cupping and resulting "singing" will not go away.

I have never tried Dyna beads but they actually seem like the solution to our problems. They balance your tire every time you ride and in theory should keep the tire perfectly in balance for the entire life of the tire. That can only mean longer tire life.

Now this is only my opinion and in my mind it makes sense. I will be using the beads on the next set of tires. Only reason I don't put them in now is because the set I have now is about worn out and so a new set is in the near future.

Now I don't want to start another bead bashing or bead praising discussion so please don't hijack this thread for that purpose. This is just my opinion and may not be worth anything.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
What happens to the TPMS sensor with dyna beads flying around inside the tire?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
i dont have wobble and cupping problems sence i changed tires and installed prog springs:thumbup: Been working for the last 40k miles.

·
Registered
464 Posts
What happens to the TPMS sensor with dyna beads flying around inside the tire?

I have no idea but I do know that I don't have TPMS sensor in my 01 so I personally am not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I''ve been using Dyna Beads and I have "0" cupping after 15,000 miles so far on my Stone front tire. I also have kept the air at 38psi.
Might be the beads, but I'm betting on the Bridgestone more. I had a 704 front that went south early, but my 709's lasted without much cupping all the way to the wear bars....

Some misconceptions. One cannot equate experience of automobiles & tires with motorcycles & tires. Darksiders notwithstanding, car tires are mounted on four wheeled vehicles and have, shall we say, enough support from the other three wheels to let it "bounce" but that also requires bad suspension. Cupping will occur much sooner on a car if you tow it behind a Land Yacht. And it's not as regular as the cupping on an MC tire.

The radial tires on our wings wear "flat spots" which are commonly referred to as cupping and it's always along the tread pattern - without fail. The wear is roughly 20° off horizontal and that part of the tire does not touch the road surface unless one is leaning into a turn. If it was balance causing cupping, the most cupping would occur where the tire is most ridden upon - 0°. But it doesn't.

More info, click the pic:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I disagree with the experts, therefore, pay absolutely no attention to what I am about to say:

NOT all tires cup. If you put a Traxxion suspension and good 'o forkbrace on your bike your tires will not cup. It is not the tire, its the suspension for the most part. The suspension on the Goldwing is inadequate. If you want to prove that to yourself ride a Goldwing with a Traxxion system on it and you'll notice you are riding on a different bike than you bought.

On another note: the Dunlop 250 is the worse tire ever manufactured. I 'll bet anyone a years' salary that if we conduct a well designed statistical survey, including a Pearson regression reliability test and all, that most people who have used the 250 will attest to its 'junkiness'....of course, I am out of work now...the bet may be smaller than you would like.

Another thing I am finding out is that not all wheels are made equal. I have a strong suspicion that wheel manufacturing flaws may account for many of the manuverability problems we experience on the Wingabego. I doubt anyone on the Honda Empire is going to look into that...after all, this is the company that put the 250 off the floor for you to enjoy....the incompetent heating system, the wobbling front end...the great gabby anti-dive valve system...oh boy! I am ranting now...;)

see:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208065&goto=newpost

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
It has been my experience as a mechanic for some 40 years that all tire cupping is caused by improper tire balance or bad shocks ( suspension )
Take it for what you think it worth..... :popcorn:

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Ditto TJ,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts