GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had a need for tire repair as my RK had a tube, If you flat your screwed. With the Wing I have a flat fix kit but need air. I was thinking about CO2 tubes that I used for my Bikes but it seems like you would need 10 or more. 12v pumps are bulky but may be the only answer. What are you using besides a credit card and cell phone as these are useless in Big Bend Texas?

Didn't the older Wings have on board pumps?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Yes, the (much) older wings had an onboard compressor, now I carry a mini pump, good battery jumpers, tire worms, and fair amount of tools.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
My 12V pump is not much bigger than slice of toast and does a good job. Used it on my 2002 several times, so far (knocking on wood) no need for it on the 2018.

prs

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Base Model
1,096 Posts
I need to replace my sticky rope tire plugs, they are 10 years old now! I've helped lots of others with the Slime mini compressor!

David

Reactions: Way2Cool

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Can't tell you how often my Slime powersport inflator has saved my bacon. It's extremely compact, and comes with a case which fits perfectly in the rear of the left saddlebag. You can find them for less than $20. Here's one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Slime-12V-Power-Sport-Tire-Inflator-40061-/163504053578
+1 for the Slime. I have the same pump for years now. It has inflated many a flat tire and a couple air matresses

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Love this guys youtube channel.

https://youtu.be/kTpSgUyyBA8

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

That pump pictured in the "opening" video picture is the exact pump I have in my 2010 (had it for years, used it many times). I added a wheel switch on the cord for easy on/off and I wrap the cord around the base. I ended up finding a smaller one made by DynaPlug to put in the smaller bags of the "ST1800". It seems to be a good one (but expensive). I actually bought it for the Suzuki M50, but never kept it with it due to un-lockable bags. The case it came with was large enough to add stop-n-go plugs with its tools, sticky strip plugs, and a glue tube. I once had a stop-n-go pump, but it self destructed due to lack of quality and bad material choices. It would have been one of the "broken after X minutes" if they had tested it too.

The pump that I have been using the most lately is only because I had my Tailwind behind me and that pump is as easy to use as the 150 psi/30gal compressor in my garage. Tom puts a high end unit in there. I did have to get a better hose after kinking and splitting the original "stiff coil" line.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I need to replace my sticky rope tire plugs, they are 10 years old now! I've helped lots of others with the Slime mini compressor!

David
Just did my annual Walmart run last week to replace my Slime worms and cement. I hate to give Wally my money...but...they aren't getting rich on my $7.00/year anyway.

I have only had (1) flat so far but it was 2 weeks after I made my initial purchase. In a foreign country, In the heat of the day. In rush traffic. 50 miles from civilization.

It will be a long time in the future before I ever regret that purchase (or the continuing annual "insurance").

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, I got slimed as well

Reactions: maxthrust

·
Registered
187 Posts
I picked up a nail at Wing Ding 41. Actually I think it was at the Gaylord lot, but in their defense the nail was aluminum so even if they sweep the lot with a magnet it wouldn't have made a difference. Anyway, no one offered me any help. The Brigstone people offered to sell me a new tire for $209 plus $80 installation. I said no thanks.

The tire held pressure so I rode 80+ miles on the back roads, bought a plug kit at Walmart for $5.88, then used a fellow camper's compressor and the tire is still good. I'm riding on it today.

In years past I've ridden fairly far with almost no air, but I never ride overloaded! The bike feels a little squirmy, so you know you would have to be a fool to ride much faster then 40 or 50 mph, preferably slower.

So, I don't know why you would need to carry anything. The compressor I borrowed had never been used before. The guy I borrowed it from wanted to know if it even worked and how to use it! However I did leave the plug kit with the bike, but there are plenty of auto parts stores so I really wouldn't feel insecure without it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I picked up a nail at Wing Ding 41. Actually I think it was at the Gaylord lot, but in their defense the nail was aluminum so even if they sweep the lot with a magnet it wouldn't have made a difference. Anyway, no one offered me any help. The Brigstone people offered to sell me a new tire for $209 plus $80 installation. I said no thanks.

The tire held pressure so I rode 80+ miles on the back roads, bought a plug kit at Walmart for $5.88, then used a fellow camper's compressor and the tire is still good. I'm riding on it today.

In years past I've ridden fairly far with almost no air, but I never ride overloaded! The bike feels a little squirmy, so you know you would have to be a fool to ride much faster then 40 or 50 mph, preferably slower.

So, I don't know why you would need to carry anything. The compressor I borrowed had never been used before. The guy I borrowed it from wanted to know if it even worked and how to use it! However I did leave the plug kit with the bike, but there are plenty of auto parts stores so I really wouldn't feel insecure without it.
Riding in Big Bend area you can go a day without seeing anybody, better to have than have not

Reactions: Largeandy
1 - 20 of 42 Posts