GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, got the Slime tire pump....small compact looks like it'll do the job. But now if I actuallyget a flat I have to remove the "whatever is in it" and plug/repair the hole. Of course I've put many a plug into a car tire, but what about the wing tire. I know of the slime stuff (or whatvever brand) that you fill the tire with......but do you do that after you remove the object, or put it in before you get an object and it fills the void and you hopefully don't get a flat. What's the protocol?

What else should I carry or do to prevent/repair a flat tire....pliers, a plugging kit, ..??? what's the story, what are some of your experiences?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I carry a plug kit and a can of fix a flat. I have used 2 plugs to fix a
BIG hole and fill the tire with fix a flat, then head to the nearest pick quick for another can of fix a flat. well get around to a real fix one of these days. I lOVE TuBless tyers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Flat tires

Plug it after removing whatever caused it and any air pump that will give enough pressure to ride on can be used to inflate the tire.Any thing other than air ;like sealers ect.,will cause balance problems.Plugging kits are easy to find until you need one,so always carry this and a pump. If it is to large to plug,call for help.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I have the Slime repair kit too. I suggest you do as I did, Take teh contianer of Slime sealent and toss it in teh trash. The compressor and the sticky rope plugs with tools and glue and caps and valve stem inserts adn such -- that good. The Slime; maybe in your wheel burro tire.

Plugging the MC tire is like what you have done with auto tires. If the hole is very small, use the rasp to get it to where the plug will fit, but take it easy. Put teh sticky rope on teh insert tool and slather on some of the solvent glue; push the sticky rope plug straight into the hole until only about 1/3 is exposed outside and then jerk teh tool back out in a straight quick pull. Trim the excess at about 1/4 inch then air it up and let stand about 15 minutes and then ride to warm-up the tire. Plugs are only for the meaty part of the tread, stay away from the side walls.

prs

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I only bought the pump and the accessories that come with it......no kit. I really have not had much faith in the slime stuff, and figured that the plug was the way to go. Do you guys continue to run a tire with a plug in it very long.....or replce the tire ASAP?

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I wear 'em out; but three plugs is the max for me and if I have to plug close to the sidewall, then I will toss the tire ASAP. Sticky rope plugs only for me, no rubber plugs types.

prs

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've used Stop & Go plug kits in an emergency with good results on my 1500, but I've heard that the sticky ropes are better on the 1800's radial tires, as their internal construction can cut the rubber plugs in half. Personally, I'd never trust any repair for longer than it would take me to get to the nearest dealer for a replacement. Bottom line, you need to carry a rope plug kit, a mini compressor, a mini-mag flashlight, and perhaps one of those small battery powered warning beacons, if you ride at night.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Everybody has their own comfort level, I plug em and forget em.
tube tires should be a thing of the pass, why manfactors still provide them is beyond me. I will ride a tire with a dozen plugs in it and not even give it a second thought, but I feel very, very, uncomfortable with tube tires on the freeway.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks gents, good info. I feel I now know what I shold get and carry with me. I was just a bit confused by this "slime" stuff and was wondering if it was some new fancy (better) way to fix a flat. I see now it is not. I always had plenty of confidence in the sticky rope plugs, and will continue to do so.

Thanks gain.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
metallica....
Its hard to use a tubless tire on a spoked rim!
(not all bikes have mags)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts